Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2010, 01:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,424 times

Advertisements

I am moving to The Dallas Fort Worth TX area in 3 months and I am working at the Airport (DFW). I was hoping someone could give some advice on a local area to live that is not terribly bad for commuting but the homes are in a good neighborhood and within safe walking distance to night life. I think walking distance is 3-4 miles. Any thoughts. Thank You. Todd & Susan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 01:40 PM

81 posts, read 229,856 times
Downtown would be your only bet or grapevine. South lake might be an option.

And by night life...i am not talking about robust night life...more like a few places you can hit within walking distance. The places I have visited here almost always require some form of transportation

Old 07-23-2010, 04:44 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,887,311 times
DFW is in suburbia so "walking" to night life isn't really going to happen too much.

Nice places to live that are safe and easy commute....
Grapevine. (look in historic downtown area for walkability)
Southlake $$$ (look at the townhouses in towncenter for walkability)
Las Colinas... will have some nightlife etc...

Coppell, North Irving(Valley Ranch), Keller, Eulass... all good & all good commute (under 30min) to DFW airport, hoppin night life not so much!

Good luck

Old 07-24-2010, 04:34 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd & Susan View Post
I am moving to The Dallas Fort Worth TX area in 3 months and I am working at the Airport (DFW). I was hoping someone could give some advice on a local area to live that is not terribly bad for commuting but the homes are in a good neighborhood and within safe walking distance to night life. I think walking distance is 3-4 miles. Any thoughts. Thank You. Todd & Susan.
The first question: your housing allowance, that would be the qualifier. As for night life and close, this is a little bit of a challenge. Many of the good neighborhoods, close to DFW are not, what would be considered "nightlife" areas. The first place I would think of would be Grapevine, but no you will not get a party life atmosphere. The closest to what you are seeking would probably be Addison and it is not all that close to DFW. It isn't a bad drive, but not next door.

BTW, you might be better to post this on the Dallas thread as well.

Nita

Old 07-24-2010, 10:03 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
while Grapevine is really the town closest to DFW that could be said to have a "nightlight" where you actually can walk around from place to place
most of the areas close to that downtown part are older homes that are bordering commercial/retail space and no apartments and few rental homes from what I have seen
there might be some apts within 3-4 miles but that is not walkable in Texas heat--
you don't give your residence now so I assume you are not living in TX or familiar with it in general-

there is also rail line through that area that will get pretty busy if the Cottonbelt commuter line ever takes off...

so I really don't think you can everything you are looking for
Addison and Las Colinas are not that close to DFW but they do have areas with apt rentals that are fairly walkable to restaurants and bars for "nightlife"

downtown FTW/Sundance Sq also has some apts close and high walkability quotient but that is further drive from DFW--although not unmanageble...like 30 min depending on traffic
the area to the west of downtown called So7 is getting more user friendly--adding restaurants/bars/shopping areas and there are some older rentals and some townhomes in that general area that might work

Old 07-24-2010, 10:05 AM

and I will say it once again--the townhomes close to the Southlake Town Center are not RENTALS for the avg consumer and they are NOT CHEAP==
those townhomes are selling for over 500K--what do you think they would rent for???

Old 07-24-2010, 10:43 AM

368 posts, read 1,785,440 times
Sorry, but you've obviously not visited the area.

A decent residence, walking distance, night life, and D/FW airport are all mutually-exclusive. You may find a residence within walking distance of mediocre night life, but don't count on it, and you'll have at least a 30-45 minute daily commute...that's one-way, BTW.

You're going to drive to get pretty much anywhere in these-here parts. It's merely a fact in an area spread out over at least four good-sized counties. I consider the Metroplex to be about 100 x 100...miles, that is. "Officially", it's likely larger than this. I recall hearing, in the distant past, the Metroplex is a 12 county area.

Erk.

You will find a place close to work or close to nightlife. It's an either/or kinda thing. Furthermore, 'hoppin' nightlife locales change. Deep Ellum, for example. The West End for another. The each used to be THE place to hang out. They're now pretty much abandoned, from what I remember them being back in the 90's.

Even Greenville...you can't really walk it. Well, you could but it'd kill you...or the traffic might.

You might also want to look at west Irving. Not upscale, nightlife is non-existent, but the commute to work would be great, and you're not in a flight path, either.

Old 07-24-2010, 12:13 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,887,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
and I will say it once again--the townhomes close to the Southlake Town Center are not RENTALS for the avg consumer and they are NOT CHEAP==
those townhomes are selling for over 500K--what do you think they would rent for???
The OP gave us no price, or if they wanted to rent or buy.

I was giving suggestions etc... for what they asked for.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:03 AM

forgot--there is one new apt project at the south end of downtown Grapevine--busy, busy location right on Main St...at Dallas Road--they are above commercial space--don't know the name--think they are apts vs condos that have to be purchased...

but it is within walking distance to the downtown area with restaurants and bars and would be very close to DFW airport...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth