U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 10:18 PM

8 posts, read 14,875 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I are considering a move to Keller, Texas. Or a nieghboring community. We currently live in Michigan. I work in the defense industry, for a DoD contractor and have an engineering degree. Can anyone give me a good idea what the defense industry is like around or near Keller? Or even how the manufacturing industry is around that area?

Up here in Michigan, there are absolutely no manufacturing jobs. So I can't see it be any worse in Texas. thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 06:12 AM

10,564 posts, read 22,480,151 times
The two big DoD contractors with manufacturing plants here are Bell Helicopter in Hurst and Lockheed-Martin in White Settlement. Dyncorp is also headquartered in Fort Worth, but they do services, not manufacturing.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:02 AM

32,596 posts, read 51,179,354 times
so there is nothing you are looking for IN Keller--it is mainly a suburban community with no high-profile businesses..especially mfg type ones--
the city would not encourage that type of development

Old 07-29-2010, 09:59 AM

thanks for the replies..appreciated.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:14 AM

3,043 posts, read 11,039,103 times
There is a FOAM mfg company right in Keller on 1709 and Pate Orr. Have no idea what foam products the make etc... It's that big ugly warehouse looking bldg by the Kroger.

Keller is pretty suburbian as loves2 stated. Lots of families and kids etc... Keller isn't an industry town etc...

Aquick google search pulled up lots of manufacturing companies located near DFW airport. Grapevine/Hurst (midcities) might be a better location to look for housing.

manufacturing companies in dfw - Google Search

for Defense contractors Northrop Grumman is also in DFW area in Irving
another google search came up this list of contractors in the DFW area...

Fort Worth Texas - Defense Contractors - $85,496,195,379 in Government Contracts

Old 07-29-2010, 02:00 PM

do a job search on the Texas Workforce commission for jobs in your skill set and see where they are in TX
go where the jobs are

Old 07-29-2010, 03:49 PM

Thank you very much for the reply. How are the Grapevine/Hurst communities? My girlfriend and I are in our 30s. Looking for a community with nice restaurants and the typical ammenities -like shopping. My main reason in selecting Keller is that its not too far from Denton. which is where I would like to attend grad school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
There is a FOAM mfg company right in Keller on 1709 and Pate Orr. Have no idea what foam products the make etc... It's that big ugly warehouse looking bldg by the Kroger.

Keller is pretty suburbian as loves2 stated. Lots of families and kids etc... Keller isn't an industry town etc...

Aquick google search pulled up lots of manufacturing companies located near DFW airport. Grapevine/Hurst (midcities) might be a better location to look for housing.

manufacturing companies in dfw - Google Search

for Defense contractors Northrop Grumman is also in DFW area in Irving
another google search came up this list of contractors in the DFW area...

Fort Worth Texas - Defense Contractors - $85,496,195,379 in Government Contracts

Old 07-29-2010, 06:41 PM

IMO
forget UNT for grad school--it might be less expensive but you really won't get any bang for your bucks/time there
unless you are going into computers/library science, music, public administration or instructional design...the engineeringprogram that has gotten written up is one that offers degree in 'energy" engineering--alternate forms of engineering like solar and wind--maybe storage batteries

it has a large engineering dept because it gets lots of foreign students who study engineering--

if you want an engineering program check for satellites of A&M or maybe Le Tourneau in Longview
if you want business/MBA check out UT Dallas, SMU, TCU, or again satellite of UT and A&M

Grapevine has good size historic downtown area with restaurants/bars and restaurants in other parts of the city--the main shopping hub there is the Grapevine Outlet Mall with lots of name brand stores

Grapevine is between Hurst which has Northeast Mall and Lewisville with Vista Ridge--
there are plenty of local and chain restrauants--$ up to $$$$ in the area...
Both towns have some areas that are less savory but they are generally pretty safe...

Old 07-30-2010, 06:31 AM

10,564 posts, read 22,480,151 times
UT Dallas has a VERY good Computer Science graduate school. They also offer engineering degrees, though I am not sure how well the school is ranked.

DH and I have lived in Grapevine for 7 years and love it!

Old 08-01-2010, 12:48 PM

Thanks for your opinion, but UNT engineering program is ABET accredited and the school has a ranking of Tier 4 (US News). Which is comparable to my undergrad engineering program I attended (Wayne State University) which is also Tier 4. Plus they are the only school that offers a MS in Manufacturing Systems Engineering (which is what I am interested in), Which UT or A&M do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
IMO
forget UNT for grad school--it might be less expensive but you really won't get any bang for your bucks/time there
unless you are going into computers/library science, music, public administration or instructional design...the engineeringprogram that has gotten written up is one that offers degree in 'energy" engineering--alternate forms of engineering like solar and wind--maybe storage batteries

it has a large engineering dept because it gets lots of foreign students who study engineering--

if you want an engineering program check for satellites of A&M or maybe Le Tourneau in Longview
if you want business/MBA check out UT Dallas, SMU, TCU, or again satellite of UT and A&M

Grapevine has good size historic downtown area with restaurants/bars and restaurants in other parts of the city--the main shopping hub there is the Grapevine Outlet Mall with lots of name brand stores

Grapevine is between Hurst which has Northeast Mall and Lewisville with Vista Ridge--
there are plenty of local and chain restrauants--$ up to $$$$ in the area...
Both towns have some areas that are less savory but they are generally pretty safe...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth