U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2010, 09:33 AM

18 posts, read 48,581 times

Advertisements

My husband has started a new job in South Fort Worth near the I-20/I35 interchange, and we're looking for a house in either Arlington ISD (something in the Martin HS feeder pattern) or Kennedale ISD. Both of these areas have homes in our price range, and aren't too far from my husband's job. Another positive is that they are both closer to Dallas, and we'll be making regular trips to north Dallas to the Suzuki Institute up there for my older son (6).

We're moving in 2 weeks from Delaware where we've been homeschooling for the last couple years, more out of a concern for safety and academic standards, rather than any sort of religious basis. We intend to continue hs'ing next year (2010-11) but hope to try public school the year after that.

After all this backstory, my question is: are there big pros/cons to Arlington ISD vs Kennedale ISD that a newcomer would not realize? I'm inclined towards Kennedale in that you can test directly into your grade level based on ability; bc it's a smaller district, I assume (but we all know how that goes sometimes) it's more amenable to parent involvement. Otoh, my husband's new boss' children graduated from Martin and had no problems at all... and they had very high academic expectations for their kids.

Before I ramble any more (lol)......... your thoughts?
TIA!
Shannon
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 10:30 AM

4,626 posts, read 7,765,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ststatefun View Post
My husband has started a new job in South Fort Worth near the I-20/I35 interchange, and we're looking for a house in either Arlington ISD (something in the Martin HS feeder pattern) or Kennedale ISD. Both of these areas have homes in our price range, and aren't too far from my husband's job. Another positive is that they are both closer to Dallas, and we'll be making regular trips to north Dallas to the Suzuki Institute up there for my older son (6).

We're moving in 2 weeks from Delaware where we've been homeschooling for the last couple years, more out of a concern for safety and academic standards, rather than any sort of religious basis. We intend to continue hs'ing next year (2010-11) but hope to try public school the year after that.

After all this backstory, my question is: are there big pros/cons to Arlington ISD vs Kennedale ISD that a newcomer would not realize? I'm inclined towards Kennedale in that you can test directly into your grade level based on ability; bc it's a smaller district, I assume (but we all know how that goes sometimes) it's more amenable to parent involvement. Otoh, my husband's new boss' children graduated from Martin and had no problems at all... and they had very high academic expectations for their kids.

Before I ramble any more (lol)......... your thoughts?
TIA!
Shannon
Tough one but I would say both are "Equal" but Kennedale may be the better fit because its a smaller district. Mansfield ISD is a better district than both Kenndale and Arlington ISD.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:45 AM

6,955 posts, read 20,730,080 times
I have had properties in both SW Arlington and Mansfield. Taxes quite a bit higher in Mansfield. I really like Mansfield alot, tho. But there are some lovely neighborhoods in SW Arlington with great elementary schools. Have you checked the school ratings for Kennedale v. feeder schools to Martin? Have you looked into Summit Intl. Prep, tho that's in central/n. Arlington. Look for a recent thread "2010 School Ratings".

Old 08-03-2010, 12:58 PM

We had discounted Mansfield bc of the property taxes and distance from my husband's job.

I did recently check the 2010 District Accountability ratings for all the schools we were considering in Arlington and Kennedale. They seemed to be alright, as far as ratings go, anyways. (FTR I think it's truly rocking that TX has that system. Wish they'd had it here in DE!)

I was checking through each ISD's website and it does appear there are more extracurric opps in Arlington than Kennedale. Plus there's the Classics Academy option if the feeder elem doesn't work out. Otoh, Kennedale has that handy connection w/TCC in the high school where they can take college courses if they're ready. That's awful nice to have.

Ack, see, now I'm overthinking it again, and leaning towards Arlington. lol. This is the reason I have to hs him again next year, I'll never make a decision by the beginning (or even the middle) of this school year.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:26 AM

32,540 posts, read 51,070,183 times
if you have child in Suzuki Strings program--did you know that HEB ISD has a Suzuki program for its elementary schools--
not all of them--but they have enlarged the program into several different schools

you don't mention house price but HEB has lots of nice homes under 300K
safe area for the most part
good ISD overall and Bell HS has nationally ranked band program--certainly better than any Arlington or Kennendale school...
HEB has a very well regarded IB program--one of the first in this area and both high school zones participate

it would not be a bad commute for your husband to live in Bedford or Hurst and commute to work...

Old 08-05-2010, 04:16 PM

Loves2read -
How familiar are you w/Suzuki at HEB? Are they basically just starting orchestra in an earlier grade? I'm not sure if a school Suzuki program would be of any use to ds or not, he's been playing since he was 3-1/2, and is already halfway through book 5. I will definitely look further into it on that district's website. Thanks!

Old 08-05-2010, 04:29 PM

Ok, so I see from the HEB Suzuki website:
Individual lessons are given once a week during the child's PE/Fine Arts period. Each week the child will have approximately 45 minutes of lesson time that will be shared with another student. Each child will have instruction for approximately half of this time, and the other half is spent observing the partner's lesson. Parents and students are expected to stay for the duration of the period.

My lil guy is already taking 60 minute lessons by himself. I don't see him getting enough out of such a limited timeframe to allow the same progress he's been making up til now.

And I see that none of the teachers listed as teaching Suzuki at HEB are actually registered with the Suzuki Association. So, I think we'll stick with the Dallas Institute. BUT I do want to thank you again for mentioning it because it's always good to make sure all my bases are covered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth