Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 09:51 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,250,942 times

Advertisements

I have 2 girlfriends visiting me for a very short 2 day stay and one of the places I want to take them to experience TX is Billy Bob's.

I haven't been there in over 10 years.

If you are a recent visitor or frequent one, can you tell me what time is a good time to get there? What time is the rodeo?

I was thinking of taking them on the Saturday to the Stockyards in the afternoon and then go to BB.

Anything that I can't find on the website?

Thanks,

Naima
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 08:27 AM

5 posts, read 11,232 times
Hi Naima, I'm not a frequent visitor to BB but have been there several time including a recent visit. I am always impressed by the courtesy of the employees. They make you feel that you are welcome. I'm a male but, the place feels very safe. Lots of security inside and outside. They don't get busy until 9:00 or so on weekends. The rodeo starts at 9:00 and 10:00. It is very short, only a few riders, but if you haven't been to a rodeo before, it is a good introduction. They often give away free tickets to it at the DJ booth. Drinks aren't expensive and there's lots to do inside. It's a great place to people watch because folks get dressed up in their finest western attire and go to dance and have a good time. If you happen to go on a night that a big name star is appearing, it will be very crowded. It's still fun, but don't expect to get a great view of the act. This is a great place to take visitors. Have fun!

Old 08-17-2010, 09:11 AM

1,063 posts, read 3,756,032 times
The weekend I got married, which was pretty recent, I took my soon to be husbands family there...they have heard all about BB and wanted to go since they are not from TX but we had to go on Thursday night. It wasn't very busy but they have free dancing lessons in between songs, which was pretty cool. jtyrie is correct, it can get really crowded there on the weekends. I would think getting there before 9-9:30 would be ok.

Old 08-17-2010, 11:40 AM

2,714 posts, read 4,280,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtyrie View Post
Hi Naima, I'm not a frequent visitor to BB but have been there several time including a recent visit. I am always impressed by the courtesy of the employees. They make you feel that you are welcome. I'm a male but, the place feels very safe. Lots of security inside and outside. They don't get busy until 9:00 or so on weekends. The rodeo starts at 9:00 and 10:00. It is very short, only a few riders, but if you haven't been to a rodeo before, it is a good introduction. They often give away free tickets to it at the DJ booth. Drinks aren't expensive and there's lots to do inside. It's a great place to people watch because folks get dressed up in their finest western attire and go to dance and have a good time. If you happen to go on a night that a big name star is appearing, it will be very crowded. It's still fun, but don't expect to get a great view of the act. This is a great place to take visitors. Have fun!
WOW. That is COMPLETELY THE OPPOSITE EXPERIENCE I HAD THERE. Every time I've been there they have been extremely rude:

I went there with my wife's family. When we entered, the security guard told my wife's sister (18 years old at the time) to show ID. She did, then we went in. Her father was outside and she had to get something from him (by the way-- we were the only people in the place because it was a Saturday afternoon). So she asked to go outside and come back in without having to pay cover again. The security guy was the rudest individual I think I've ever met. He said "No you can't F*** do that you B***" then started to get violently angry when we asked why. I was very polite, but he was very rude. He even threatened to "mess me up." And gave me this stare like he was going to start a fight with me. I've never been treated this poorly by any individuals in any bars in my life. Let alone on a Saturday afternoon.

Then we go in there, and my wife and I ask for a drink and the bartender is exceedingly rude as well. We talk to the manager, but he just tells us to go "screw ourselves." Real classy Billy Bobs. Never going to visit there again and will tell anyone I meet to never go there.

I wouldn't take visitors there.

Old 08-17-2010, 12:34 PM

277 posts, read 696,305 times
Default Took coworkers from Boston there

Coworkers from Boston were in town last spring and wanted to experience Texas (read as not Dallas). Took them to Lonesome Dove for dinner (great Cactus Margaritas!!) and then to Billy Bob's. They really seemed to enjoy it!

Chef Tim Love's Lonesome Dove Western Bistro - Historic Fort Worth Stockyards

I recommend the Rabbit-rattlesnake sausage, spicy manchego rosti, crème fraiche

Old 08-17-2010, 02:16 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,250,942 times
Thank you all for your input. For dinner I was thinking of taking them to Cattlemen's. I've never had a bad experience there. Also the rabbit/rattlesnake combo might put them off even if you top it off with crème fraiche

We'll be going to the Gossip Bar downtown Dallas later, so the 9-30 timing sounds perfect.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:53 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Cattleman's is OK, but you can do a LOT better for the same money at either Lonesome Dove or H3 and both are just around the corner from BB. (If I'm paying $50 for a steak dinner it had better be good!!)

Old 08-18-2010, 12:53 PM

341 posts, read 1,018,549 times
I've always wanted to visit BBs. Back in the day when in Houston I visited
the origional Gilleys in Pasedena (a Houston suburb), and wondered if it's somewhat like FtWorths BBs ?
BTW, is BBs very far from the Sundance Square area ?

Old 08-18-2010, 01:26 PM

54 posts, read 152,822 times
Yep: several miles north.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:51 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,611,753 times
Billy Bob's is quite a bit like Gilley's in my opinion. It's a place for tourists, a place for small scale concerts and a place to go just to say you went.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth