Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 01:16 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times

Advertisements

What cracks me up are the people blaming Brett Shipp?!?!?!?!?! REALLY! Brett Shipp did NOTHING wrong so they need to stop blaming the media. No one is jealous of Southlake either. The comments on the news sites are entertaining to say the least. Just shows there are some pretty guilable people out there that really do not understand the rules or UIL rules. UIL rules apply to music programs as well. My daughter is in band and they are STRICT on their grades for them to be able to perform. You get a "0" or failing grade and you can NOT perform in the UIL competitions or even participate on the field at games. What this family did is just flat out CHEAT! They tried to cheat in Oklahoma more than once and got caught. Keep reading all of the stuff out there now on this family and no school in Oklahoma wants him or the family and this includes even the school in the district they live in and have lived in thru all of this fiasco.

But hey, Reggie Bush is blaming the media now when he is forfeitting the Heissman. Pathetic when cheaters get caught and they try to blame it on someone else. Hey, if you win and win big you better be ready to prove you are clean. If you are not clean and you get found out then be prepared for the onslaught of negative press and words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 02:21 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
some people don't bother to educate themselves about the situation before they give an opinion--
and like so much of the political "commentary" on both sides most people have THEIR opinion and don't care what the facts of the situation are...

the problem lies with his parents who because of their overwhelming desire to get their son a scholarship to a Div I school so that he would probably become a professional q/back they just totally ignored any rules standing in the way of their ambition--and make that RUTHLESS ambition--

what they have done really is make their son a pariah now--
any school that adheres to UIL type standards is not going to let him play unless he enrolls in school and goes out for a team and THEN sits out for like 6 games...
as someone pointed out in earlier post
if he had gone back to his original school in OK--the one their house is zoned for--and sat out the games in the baseball season last spring he could have been eligible to play ANYWHERE in the fall football season--
but they did not want to admit they were wrong--and I don't really believe the story they gave that he was "endangered" by people from the second school he played for--the one he cost their season...

hopefully he will go to some mediocre college (because AZ is not giving someone who played NO senior ball a scholarship)

Old 09-15-2010, 03:32 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,613,969 times
I believe the biggest problem with Brett Shipp was expanding his accusations to include Trinity and the 7 X 7 practices this summer and sensationalizing it instead of going through the proper channels for an actual investigation by the right people only to find out in the end they did not violate UIL rules.

Also, many people were upset that he took hidden video footage of minor children and did so without permission.

Then there's the fact that he took the video first in early June, then again at the end of June, but didn't do a story until football season was beginning almost 2 months later. If you really think something was being done wrong, get it out there right then and there and report it to someone who can do something about it.

It just all adds up to an underhanded manor of handling, all for the sake of getting a story. Had he reported it like he should have, he would have not had any story other than the quarterback. Had he reported it as soon as he recorded it, it would not have had the same impact as it would have been lost in the summer slowness.

Personally I don't have a problem with him exposing the quarterback issue, yet I do have a problem with people claiming this is ruining an innocent young man. This young man has been a quarterback for many years and I have no doubt he is fully aware of the UIL rules regarding moving, most especially since they had the fiasco in Oklahoma last year. He is most certainly not innocent in this deal.

Old 09-15-2010, 03:55 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
I believe the biggest problem with Brett Shipp was expanding his accusations to include Trinity and the 7 X 7 practices this summer and sensationalizing it instead of going through the proper channels for an actual investigation by the right people only to find out in the end they did not violate UIL rules.

Also, many people were upset that he took hidden video footage of minor children and did so without permission.

Personally I don't have a problem with him exposing the quarterback issue, yet I do have a problem with people claiming this is ruining an innocent young man. This young man has been a quarterback for many years and I have no doubt he is fully aware of the UIL rules regarding moving, most especially since they had the fiasco in Oklahoma last year. He is most certainly not innocent in this deal.
He could have waited till after the football season started and the kid had played some games and then exposed it and then SLC would have had to forfeit any games they won that he played in. Now THAT would have caused a HUGE stink. Maybe he was waiting to see if they were actually going to start him. He may have gone to spring practices and all and it was only once football practice officially started that he was able to see that the SLC coaches were going to play him and planed on making him their star quarterback.

Besides, if a reporter were to jump the gun and report something or show it on the news and had not fully investigated it then that is when problems really start. Like I said, who knows, he could have been waiting till the fall football practices officially started to see what the SLC coaches were going to do.

I'd be pretty sure that most parents of the other athletes had signed waivers that they allowed their minor children to be filmed/photographed to be used in media. I know in our district a form comes home the first day of school for us to give our permission. If it involves a sports team that could possibly be aired on tv, which high school football is, then they probably signed a seperate waiver for that.

I'm 100% with you that this kid himself KNEW the rules and KNEW that he was ineligible to play last year at the school he was at then and then again at ANY school he went to his year. Otherwise, he could have EASILY have sat out the 6 or 8 baseball games back in the Spring and would have been done w/ it and could have played football w/ no penalties or sanctions this fall at any school he was ELIGIBLE to play at. Funny how the school in his attendance zone and the one he ruined last year don't want him or his family back.

Oh, and I did hear it was the Oklahoma parents that were following him to see where he ended up and wanted to make sure he nor his family caused any more trouble for another school are the ones that reported him to the media. I don't blame them. They did not want any other kids or school to suffer what they did last year because of these selfish people.

Old 09-15-2010, 04:44 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
the rules of the HEB ISD require that ANY person coming on campus to interview ANYONE has to be cleared through the Admin--

what he did trying to get Lineweaver to give his comments about the 7/7 and Lineweaver asking him if he was cleared by the Admin--just showed that he was opportunistic...He has been there (Trinity) before and clearly knows the rules -- he was being just snarky media doing what he did
the fact that the coaches at Southlake LET him and his crew on the field during the summer practice just shows they are pretty stupid and lazy (IMO)

it is against school policy to photograph and post on a web site photos of any school children w/o special permission of the parents--teachers can't even take candid shots of students at work in class and post on their school page--
so it is not a generic release form--and while athletes might have a signed release for say their photos in a football program--that is something totally different from a news crew showing up and shooting photos of them w/o parental permission...

Lineweaver could have called the campus cop when they came to Trinity trying to get him to talk about the 7/7 dust-up and had him and his crew arrested for trespassing--
public schools are NOT public property as some people think...
the fact that he did not shows that he --rather than Shipp-- has more class--

and at least Mr. Garmin was smart enough not to throw a bag of ice at any of the reporters covering the UIL hearing in Ausin who wanted comments...

regarding the timing of the story--there is no story if they weren't going to play him...
the trap was baited by the Garmins and son Daxx and Southlake Carroll took the bait--
Shipp's story just closed the trap--and the UIL board's decision was just nailing the hide to the wall...

maybe Daxx will spell his name with 3 XXX now...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth