U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2010, 06:53 PM

3 posts, read 5,265 times

Advertisements

Me and my family are relocating from California to Texas specifically the Dallas/ Fort Worth area. Im looking for some information on good areas to move to that will fit our needs, mainly between Dallas since that is where we will be working and Fort Worth where we have family at. Were looking for a multi-diverse city, that is safe, and a decent school district. Low crime rate and safety is a main concern for my family since me and my husband are both in law enforcement. We will most likely rent before we committ to purchasing a house but our price range for houses will be up to 215,000. Thank You any help is appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 07:14 PM

32 posts, read 113,768 times
Have you considered Arlington? It is between Dallas and Fort Worth, although a bit closer to Fort Worth. It has a great school district and I'm sure you could find affordable housing for what you are looking for. There is plenty to do for the family, with Six Flags, Hurricane Harbor, Rangers Ballpark and the new Cowboys Stadium hosting a range of events. Arlington Highlands and The Parks Mall off of I-20 are popular shopping areas. The new stadium has attributed to a lot of growth in Arlington and there is construction on the roads just about everywhere, but hopefully by Superbowl time it will be done! I live in North Arlington and I teach in east Dallas, but the commute is okay since in the morning I go I-30 east, which is against traffic. Coming home in the afternoon is a pain.

Also, since you both are looking for law enforcement positions, one thing I like about the law enforcement in Arlington is that they are visible (in North Arlington where I live in particular). It seems pretty diverse from what I noticed, with many women and minority police officers. Dallas PD is always looking for help, but I'm not sure how you will feel about working there. I would recommend the North Arlington area to live in by the way. It's not as busy as South Arlington, where most of the shopping areas are. North Arlington does get a little busy during game days, around I-30 and Ballpark especially. But it's not that bad really.

Grand Prairie is next to Arlington with LOTS of affordable housing and very family friendly. Check that city out as well.

Old 09-04-2010, 07:19 PM

41 posts, read 50,241 times
Check out Mansfield, which is near Arlington.
Also, unicorporated Tarrant County, an area called Rendon which is in the Mansfield ISD.

Avoid Grand Praire and Everman School District.

Burleson is probably to far south but a good place to live, as is Grandview.
www.realtor.com
Burleson zipcode is 76028
Grandview zipcode is 76050

I hear the Jails are hiring.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:34 PM

I was given some information about a town called Cedar Hill. I was told that it has a good and bad part. From what was told to me it is better to live closer to Joe Pool Lake and State Park. Any information on Cedar Hill??? I was also informed about the HEB School district. More specifically the Bedford and North Euless area, any information on these towns?

Old 09-05-2010, 01:14 AM

32 posts, read 113,768 times
Hurst-Euless-Bedford is definitely an area worth checking out. The school district is wonderful. Many of my married friends have settled down in this area. Plenty to do with that small town feeling. They are all very close together so sometimes I can't tell the difference in where I am; assumingly this is a reason why the school districts were combined. Grapevine is near too, you may wanna check this city out as well. However, I don't think housing would be as affordable in this area as it would Cedar Hill, but I could be wrong. I guess this depends on your budget as well.

I like Cedar Hill, and it's a nice city in my opinion. I think the schools are okay, but not as great as HEB or Mansfield. There's awesome shopping options in the new Uptown Village. However, I am not sure if I would choose Cedar Hill over HEB mid-cities area or Mansfield/Arlington.

Old 09-05-2010, 07:33 AM

10,560 posts, read 22,466,614 times
You need to know where you will be working, especially with law enforcement. Most PD's require officers to live within 30 minutes' drive from their station. DFW is a HUGE area and you don't want to be living in Arlington and working in Mesquite (for example),

Old 09-07-2010, 09:57 AM

Thanks for the great information... My husband will be working in Dallas... I did hear something about that you may have to live in Dallas County Im not sure but its something I need to check into too... Im still looking for more great information if anyone can help... Thanks

Old 09-07-2010, 10:46 AM

10,560 posts, read 22,466,614 times
I know for a fact that DPD officers are not required to live in Dallas County because a friend is in DPD and he lives in Euless.

But still, you would want to be close to your station so you don't have to drive all over town every day. Long commutes get VERY tiring, and really aren't necessary here because there are goo dplaces to live all over DFW. I would highly recommend finding out which station he will be at (NE, NW, SE, SW or Central) and then picking an area to live.

Old 11-02-2010, 02:22 PM

5 posts, read 5,561 times
Why avoid Grand Praire & Everman school district? Is Grand Praire a bad neighborhood?

Old 11-02-2010, 03:13 PM
k_s

408 posts, read 824,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbubbles View Post
Why avoid Grand Praire & Everman school district? Is Grand Praire a bad neighborhood?
Grand Prairie is a city, not a neighborhood. While the entire city isn't bad, it's not exactly the most desirable area in the Metroplex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth