U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2010, 11:07 PM

12 posts, read 23,424 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for FREE or almost free (very low cost) fall events/festivals to do the rest of this month and throughout October. I'd like suggestions on relatively close things to do as I'd like to do some during the day when the older kiddies are in school. So Toddler appropriate would be great too!

I'm in the Keller/Fort Worth/Southlake area.

Any ideas? List away!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 11:20 PM

3,078 posts, read 3,400,700 times
Botanical Gardens, Pumpkin Patches(farmers markets), there's always the libraries, Barnes and Nobel, Forest Park(feeding the ducks), etc..

Old 09-16-2010, 09:37 AM

12 posts, read 23,424 times
Here are a few that I've found.

index.htm

Pumpkin Village Pumpkin Patch in Flower Mound, Tx. Pumpkin Patch north of Dallas Texas

Old 09-16-2010, 09:54 AM

3,087 posts, read 6,983,676 times
The best advice I can give you is to get out often and visit various places in order to know what's coming up. My younger two are now 12 and 7, so we don't do near as much as we did when they were younger, but I found all kinds of things only because I was out and about on a consistent basis.

For instance, we went weekly to the Barnes and Noble story time and knew when they were going to have a special guest, when they'd get a treat and when they could dress up for Halloween. Libraries do the same. North Richland Hills library and Hurst library offer the same things...story times, guests and events.

We'd also go to various places often to just walk around and check out the new toys and seasonal items. (which of course is free/cheap entertainment in it's own way!)

It was there I would see when they were going to have special events, like a character visiting, a picture opportunity, if they were trick or treating or if they were supporting someone else's event. -McDonalds had a trunk or treating one year that I would have had no clue about had I not been there to see the flyers advertising it.
-Kroger had a darling little set up for Halloween that you could put your kids in and take your own pictures or be there during certain times for them to take a free picture.
-Toys R Us had a Spiderman appearance close to Halloween one year.
-Walmart has had several character appearances.
-Home Depot had a fishing tank for kids, though it was spring time and not fall. :-)

Then there are all the different city activities. North Richland Hills has a really nice fall festival free to all who come (and one for Christamas and Easter). It includes carnival games for treats, bounce houses, hayride, entertainment and food for purchase. Many cities have something similar, just check their websites for info.

We used to visit at least 2 'pumpkin patches' that were farmer's market type places that set up for fall picture opportunities while selling pumpkins and often fall decorations. One had a bounce house as well that cost $1 for unlimited time.

Some of the craft stores have workshops for kids that are low cost, though I haven't looked for those in some time, but they might still be out there.

Last, the mall always has things going on, I just choose to avoid them myself. :-)

Old 09-18-2010, 12:13 PM

27 posts, read 290,363 times
Great thoughts, hypocore. I'm adding those ideas to my own list of things to try. I'd add-on 2 thoughts:

- Keller Library/City of Keller also has some great programs worth checking out.

- You might find the frugalinfortworth.wordpress.com local blog helpful which puts out a pretty full list of free/cheap family-friendly entertainment every Friday (and other local savings tips and coupons throughout the week). You can subscribe to it for free, too...if you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth