Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 07:17 AM

35 posts, read 136,973 times

Advertisements

Well that's it. Me, my wife and 2 year old son are possibly moving to Saginaw. Is it a good area? I work on the road so work really isn't a big issue to me. My wife has a lot of clerical background, she works at a hospital right currently. Currently I live in the country of northeast Louisiana. We are wanting to move to give my wife and son more of an opportunity. Not much education or work where I live now. I have never visited the area so I'm just going off what I read and see on the web. The housing is super affordable there! We have a budget of around 150. Would it be a good area to work and raise a family?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 08:32 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,858,186 times
Up until just a few years ago, Saginaw was nothing more than a grain elevator and train tracks. Then the developers found the cheap land to build houses, and now Saginaw is a little bedroom community.

There are VERY few jobs in Saginaw, besides working at the Wal-Mart or maybe waitressing, because there is very little industry there. You will most likely be driving in to Fort Worth or surrounding areas to work. Do keep in mind that the stretch of 820 between I-35W and 183 is one of the most, if not the WORST, congested freeways in Tarrant County. It is a parking lot at rush hours because it is only 2 lanes wide and has very heavy traffic.

You can also find homes in that price range in Hurst, Euless, Bedford, and Richland Hills. All of those cities are closer into town, and have more jobs close by. Granted, these will be existing homes, not new ones.

Good luck!

Old 09-10-2010, 09:26 AM

150 posts, read 418,357 times
We've lived in the area for a couple of years now and absolutely love it here! My grandparents lived out here when I was little and it has definitely changed over the years! I would recommend the subdivisions that are right next to Willow Creek Park...The Courts of Willow Creek, The Dominion, The Commons of Willow Creek, Whisperwood, Willow Creek, Willow Vista. All those subdivisions could easily meet your budget of 150k. Some are even still building. We are a young family and are very involved in the activities around town

ChristieP is correct, if your wife will be looking for a job IN town, the pickings are slim. She will more than likely be traveling to surrounding areas for work. Going towards the HEB area on 820 is basically a parking lot at all hours of the day. I would think it's safe to say she would have an easier commute going towards Lake Worth, White Settlement, or even Benbrook for work. Lots of doctor offices, dental offices, banks, major restaurants chains and stores. Towards downtown Fort Worth, she'll find the majority of hospitals...and from Saginaw, it's about 10-15mins away. Good luck in your search!!!!!

Old 09-10-2010, 12:14 PM

Thanks! Called the real estate lady today! What about the Keller area?

Old 09-10-2010, 12:43 PM

14 posts, read 43,241 times
Saginaw is a nice area with a good selection of homes and a quality school district. Over the next five years, the "locked down" freeway between I-35W and TX-183 is supposed to be transformed into a 10-lane tollway with 6 additional lanes of service roads.

We chose to stay out of Saginaw proper because of the difficult drive TO the freeway. Traffic congestion in town is significant.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:32 PM

150 posts, read 418,357 times
Other than going to Keller twice a week for horse therapy, I don't have much experience with that part of town. We did house hunt out there and it wasn't our cup of tea, but I've seen several posters on here that talk very highly of it! It may be worth checking out, you'll never know until you go there and see if it's a good fit for the family

That is a nice house you found in Saginaw! That's on the "other side of the tracks" from the main part of town. Less congested and closer to highways. Schools are RIGHT there...elementary, middle, and high school is just around the corner.

Old 09-10-2010, 02:54 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,884,555 times
For 150k you wont find anything in the city of Keller itself.
You can go out west of 377 in NW Ft Worth (Keller ISD) and find housing in your price. Heritage is a big master planned communtiy with alot of family friendly amenties, but it might be just out of your range. (I think they start around 160-170)
There is also the Villages of Woodland Springs again a big master planned communtiy. You could find housing in your price there.

You will find you will get alot more house for your money in Saginaw.

Old 09-11-2010, 06:56 AM

Sounds like Saginaw will be my best bet! I'm really looking forward to just ride and look around! I need to plan a trip just to go see everything. I'm wanting a more rural setting than a city setting.

Old 09-11-2010, 09:33 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,858,186 times
Also look out towards Azle. There are nice areas out there, too.

I wouldn't call Saginaw rural. It used to be, but now it is regular homes and a suburb. The big downside I see to it is all of the train noise, and the infrastructure (roads) which are often still country roads that haven't been widened.

Do check out the homebuilders there if you plan to buy a new construction home. History Maker is OK, but KB has some issues... Choice is OK.

Old 09-11-2010, 02:14 PM

1,379 posts, read 6,424,716 times
Okay...so for actually someone that lives actually NEAR Saginaw and has a mom and many friends that live there...Saginaw is a great little town. And while it is ONLY a train company, BNSF has its headquarters in Saginaw/Fort Worth boundary.

Saginaw is a train town and a blue collar town. Lots of really nice, down to earth people. Yes, shock, we have a Walmart (like most towns in America) and we also have a growing retail area.

My Mom bought a beautiful custom home that was 1700 sq ft with wood floors, crown molding, granite etc for 175K here in Saginaw. Remington Point is a great neighborhood and we have a handful of friends that live in there and their kids go to Remington Point.

If you happen to work around Loop 820 or off of 30, you can have a very reasonable commute.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth