U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2010, 09:21 PM

16 posts, read 34,053 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I want to plant an October Glory Red Maple in my front yard. I live in the Euless/Bedford area.

I've read that many parts of the metroplex have highly alkaline soils, and Red Maples prefer acidic soils. However, I currently have 3 giant crepe myrtles in my yard (which I read also prefer acidic soil), that are doing beautifully.

So, I'm just curious if any of you happen to know if the Mid Cities area has a higher acid content in its soil, or if you've had any luck with the October Glory Red Maples in this area. I do understand it needs to be tested for pH; I just wanted to see if anyone knew anything or had any experience they could share.

I'm still pretty new at gardening, so any advice is welcome. The soil is a red clay.

Thank you!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 10:33 PM

77 posts, read 194,357 times
Try the Texas Gardening Forum. Many knowledgable Metroplex gardeners there!

Gardening in Texas - GardenWeb

Old 10-15-2010, 11:05 PM

15 posts, read 28,404 times
There are many universities that will test your soil for a small fee. I scooped up about 2 cups of soil and mailed it in with a $10 check...they mailed me the results about a week later. Not just pH, they test for minerals too.

Old 10-16-2010, 06:49 AM

32,550 posts, read 51,093,178 times
Calloways' does soil testing as well--there is one on Grapevine Hwy just north of Lowe's and Precinct Line (in case you did not know)...the Foreman's store on the 121 access road between Euless and Grapevine might as well...

Old 10-16-2010, 11:59 AM

32,550 posts, read 51,093,178 times
I think that is a really big tree at maturity (which does take couple of decades)
do you have the room where you will plant it?

Old 10-16-2010, 10:19 PM

16 posts, read 34,053 times
Thanks for the replies, everyone!

loves2read, I do have the room. I've been researching non-stop for trees to put in the front yard. My house faces west, so I want something that will eventually become a nice shade tree. I was debating between a maple and an oak, both of which seem to do well in my neighborhood. I just can't quite tell yet if they are red maples/oaks because they haven't really had a chance to start changing, hence the question. There are some massive trees that are some 40 and 50 feet tall, which is the mature height for the red maples I'm looking at. Fortunately, there are 3 huge maples in similar yards that I've been able to look at. No power lines or anything to worry about, so I feel good that there is enough room.

Old 11-06-2010, 12:48 AM

73 posts, read 248,187 times
I planted a $30 October Glory from Lowes 2 years ago in my back yard, as well as a Crimson King purple maple. While the Crimson King turned into Crispy Krud after the first summer, I must say I am impressed with the speed at which the Glory is growing. Last year it had a beautiful display of striking red, while this year it is more red/brown so far with increased yellows - it will be different every year depending on the weather.

I fertilize every 3-4 months, and the tree has at least doubled in size from its original 8 foot height; I have noticed about 5 feet this growing season alone when gauged against my neighbor's play set (sweet privacy here we come!). Very dense foliage as well. The live oaks are not growing nearly as fast as the maple, but they do provide screening year round if that is what you need. Deciduous trees are ideal for west exposures, as they allow sun warming in the winter to lower heating costs (evergreens are suggested for northern exposures to cut wind intrusion). If you do get the October Glory, I would also suggest a Caddo Maple - which will turn a brilliant yellow in the fall - to complement the October Glory for a spectacular autumn show...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth