U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 09:01 AM

309 posts, read 739,460 times

Advertisements

Hi all

Shortly to be moving to Fort Worth area from UK and as I am a keen cook, I would like to know what the good food suppliers are?

On my first and only very brief visit last month I only saw a Tom Thumb supermarket where I was staying in Southlake area. Are there various large supermarket chains as well as more individual food suppliers, butchers, fishmongers, green grocers etc or is it mainly supermarkets for all food stuffs? Are there such things as farmers' markets offering more unusual items? I also like to cook oriental/asian and wonder if there is an Oriental food supplier nearby?

Am likely to be Tarrant County when I move early next year, probably somewhere like Keller, North Richland Hills, HEB areas.

Thanks in advance for anything to enlighten me!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 12:38 PM

3,087 posts, read 6,981,585 times
You can find most anything you want as long as you know where to look and understand you will have to drive to several different places to find it all.

There are stores like Sprouts, Central Market and Market Street that may fit better what you are looking for than a Tom Thumb, Kroger or ALbertson's, which are the main chain stores here. Discount grocers incude Aldi's, Walmart and Target for chains and various other independent stores. Some may carry what you are looking for.

There are a couple of areas, one in Haltom City for instance, that have large Asian populations and have stores that cater to their culture which may be your best bet in finding what you want for those meals.

There are a variety of Farmer's markets in most cities, though most are relatively small and typically focus on vegetables and fruit.

There are also a few choices of butcher shops, but those are usually discovered by word of mouth and not always well known.

I don't know of a fish market at all, besides what's included inside the other stores and I've lived here all my life. There might be one, but no one in my family cares much for fish so I've never searched for one either.

A large majority of people here shop to stock up for long periods of time instead of shopping daily or weekly, which leads to less need for markets to serve that type of shopping.

Old 12-12-2010, 02:00 PM

Very useful info - thank you very much. Best I get a large fridge and freezer by the sounds of it!

Old 12-12-2010, 05:47 PM

10,571 posts, read 22,495,214 times
Yes, people in the US generally only shop for food once a week or even less than that.

Central Market | Home | Season
Central Market has WONDERFUL fish, meat and produce! I am a seafood lover, and I am always able to find what I need there. The meat and seafood at CM is about the best you will find anywhere in the DFW area. Again, they have a huge selection and if they do not carry something, they will help find it for you.

TNL SuperFood Store & Nguyen Loi Oriental Market
This is a very large Asian food market in Haltom City, which is north of Fort Worth.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:38 PM

32,613 posts, read 51,207,313 times
we have friends in Houston--young couple--he grew up in US and went to high school here but his parents are UK-English natives who have lived in Houston area for decades but maintain their home outside London--
our friends like to shop at Central Market in Houston--
think it has decent meat and good quality vegetables--
he trained at the Cordon Blu in Paris at one point and worked as chef in US so he is picky about his food...

Old 12-13-2010, 02:10 AM

Excellent, thank you all and to ChristieP for the links.

I know it sounded like a bit of a daft question but the move is a big thing for us, never having lived in the States before and it helps to know a little about the essentials!

Old 12-13-2010, 07:03 AM

3,043 posts, read 11,041,620 times
The
chain Sprouts also has excellant fruit and veggies with great prices.

But yes, Americans LOVE ther 1 stop shopping, I must say after living in Europe I do miss going to the bakery and the deli, but with areas here so large and spread out the SUPERMARKETs do make it fast and easy...
Just wait till you go to a SUPER Walmart! grocery store, clothing store, office supply, funtiture, electronics. autoparts, pet supplies,haircuts, nail salon ETC....all under one roof!! Just stay clear of it on the weekend...madness!

Old 12-13-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
Just wait till you go to a SUPER Walmart! grocery store, clothing store, office supply, funtiture, electronics. autoparts, pet supplies,haircuts, nail salon ETC....all under one roof!! Just stay clear of it on the weekend...madness!
Thanks good advice I am sure. Is there one of these Super Walmarts in the Fort Worth area?

Old 12-13-2010, 11:17 AM

2,721 posts, read 3,928,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerlily64 View Post
Thanks good advice I am sure. Is there one of these Super Walmarts in the Fort Worth area?
Yes they are everywhere here (and pretty much everywhere in the US)

I live by one, I go to it probably 3 times or more a week. I do most of my shopping there come to thing of it... Those things kind of just suck you in...

What Fort Worth is missing is an HEB! Oh how I wish they had one...

Old 12-13-2010, 11:55 AM

162 posts, read 493,850 times
HEB currently has a store in Burleson & 1 in Cleburne, in addition to their Central Market locations in the area. According to Wikipedia, they have plans to open 10 stores within 2 years in the DFW area,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth