U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2010, 06:25 AM

2 posts, read 2,637 times

Advertisements

Hey there - we are coming over to the US in Jan to discuss possible job opportunities with my current employer. There is the possibility of a transfer for me to either Dallas Fort Worth, Oklahoma or Arlington, VA. All very different places with different pros and cons. Just wonder what your initial thoughts were.

The key factors to consider are:

3 of us moving over - me, my husband and our daughter who will be just over 1 year old so good nanny/preschool/child care is important.

Nice place to raise a family (usual stuff, safe etc but really looking for places well known for having good quality, friendly neighbours with plenty of parks/walks etc

House type - looking for something bigger than what we are in just now (which wont be hard - fairly small 3 bed family home) will rent for two years, would like couple of extra bedrooms for family and friends to come and visit (ideally want to spend $2,500 - $3,000 a month on rent at most)

Look forward to hearing your thoughts?

Scottish Family
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 11:23 AM

32,686 posts, read 51,353,947 times
frankly I am sure that you will get positive/negative answers for all 4 areas

wehre in Oklahoma would be my question--Tulsa is nicer town to me than OKC and anything NOT those two towns will be pretty small, isolated, and might lack for amenities

Arlington VA will have the highest cost of living and homes there are expensive--rentals included--

DFW--Dallas mainly--got awared the worst commuting city according to article in today's paper--
so unless you live close you where the job is--you might not be happy with living in suburbs around Dallas

FTW--I really like the Tarrant county side better--althought traffic here is getting worse because of population growth and freeway renovation, it is easier to navigate and has more of the shopping you might want--except for stores like IKEA and REI--Tarrant county has almost everything Dallas does--
and we have Bass Pro and Cabela's close by

there are plenty of smaller towns around FTW with good parks, neighborhoods that fall into multiple price points, and good schools if you are staying that long...
same can be said for Dallas and its suburbs as well

since your husband might be working out of 4 different offices it seems kind of important that he see what they are like and which one appeals the best to him--what the other people are like, "boots on the ground" check so to speak...
why would you want to move into area with great neighborhood and find out that you hate your boss...

Old 12-16-2010, 06:57 AM

2 posts, read 2,637 times
Oklahoma City is where the job is so I guess we would need to work our way out from there.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:40 AM

6,955 posts, read 20,836,459 times
Don't live in the DFW area if your job is in Okla City unless you plan on flying to work daily. In that case you'd probably want to live nearest to Love Field in Dallas. And if you in fact do choose to drive, you'll want a very far northern suburb. Long drive, you certainly won't want to do that.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:53 AM

37,045 posts, read 41,242,318 times
Do you know where in DFW your jobs might be located ? What you might want to do is sit down with a Real Estate agent while you are in town and discuss the pros & cons of housing, schools, commutes, etc. There are agents who are native to the area, have experience and can at least discuss intelligently your choices and what you can get for your money. Pick wisely and you should be able to use only 1 good agent who knows the metroplex.

DFW is such a spread out area it would be difficult to spend a few days looking around but a good agent can at least educate you and maybe help narrow your focus.

You could do this for every area you mentioned if you plan ahead.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:54 AM

278 posts, read 637,883 times
Actually, Amtrak runs daily train service from Downtown Fort Worth to Oklahoma City on the Heartland Flyer Heartland Flyer

Old 12-16-2010, 08:29 PM

95 posts, read 236,314 times
I recommend looking in Edmond, OK. It's a suburb ok OKC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth