Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2010, 12:25 AM

114 posts, read 185,923 times

Advertisements

So, My husband and I are relocating to the DFW area and he will be working in Coppell and I will be going to school (I don't know which one yet), we have a little less then a month to move so I wont have time to visit and explore like I want to. We were very excited to live in Dallas but all the areas that would suit us were way out if our small budget ($750)... So I'm now wondering if Fort Worth is a good option. He doesn't mind commuting (up to 45mins-1hr), we're AA so a little diversity would be nice, we want to live in a walkable and safe area (preferably with public transportation), and plenty of things to do... would Fort Worth fit us? And if so what neighborhoods should I look at?

P.S. From pictures downtown Fort Worth looks really cute and kind of reminds me of Old Town in Alexandria VA (which we REALLY REALLY love)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 02:57 PM

345 posts, read 994,291 times
$750 a month for housing? Hate to tell you, but I don't know of any areas in DFW that are nice and safe where you can rent for that.

Old 12-31-2010, 04:08 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
If you have that low of a budget for housing, you don't want a lengthy commute to add to your costs. Unlike many areas, where traffic creeps along, North Texas traffic usually does move. Therefore, you will be driving a lot of miles and burning lots of gas. Fot Worth to Coppell would take about an hour each way, and I'd estimate your husband would be filling the tank every 4-5 days if his car gets average mpg. (I made the commute to downtown Fort Worth from Grapevine in 2006, and Coppell is another 10 miles further.) Believe me, this gets expensive!!!

Looks like there are some apartments in Bedford that are in your price range. Unfortunately, Bedford has no public transportation, and I wouldn't consider it "walkable" at all. It IS very close to the Tarrant County College NE Campus. Maybe you could live close enough to campus to walk to school?

Good luck in your search!

Old 12-31-2010, 04:51 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,684,678 times
You should be able to find something ..albeit pretty small in North Irving or Carrollton. Look on craigslist & realtor.com. I live in the area; if you find something that sounds like it may fit just dm me thru this forum and I will drive by for you and let you know what I think.

Old 12-31-2010, 04:56 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,684,678 times
I just looked on craigslist and noticed Camden Cimeron pats are advertising and are in you budget. They are located in Valley Ranch which is the perfect location for you and very safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth