Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 11:27 AM

513 posts, read 2,111,704 times

Advertisements

Sorry if this has been asked over & over! We may be relocating and know nothing about the area. We have 3 boys - 2 in elementary school and one in middle. Schools are our #1 priority. All of these places look like a decent commute (to I820/I35 area). Also, places with lots of sports options for the kids (baseball, soccer, football), and good shopping/restaurants nearby would be good. I've tried to find comparisons of these school districts but no luck so far. We would have about $500K or so to spend on a home. Any suggestions on the best place for us? Or any links to sites where I can compare the schools? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 11:36 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,684,678 times
Search for a thread that is titled ADVICE FOR A UK CITIZEN and it will give you a lot of insight. Also just look up the name of each town in the search a you will find a lot. I sent a link to the UK citizen thread that enables the user to find school ratings on a map.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:38 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,684,678 times
Advice fir a UK citizen relocating to Irving ...is the actual title

Old 01-07-2011, 11:42 AM

513 posts, read 2,111,704 times
Thank you!!

Old 01-07-2011, 02:00 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,886,424 times
city of Keller (keller HS) not Ft Worth Keller ISD. would put you in the best location for a commute.
You won't have to spend 500k unless you are doing a custom build etc... Schools are very good
For ALL exemplary look for Keller MS and Keller HS in your feeder pattern...all elementary in the city of Keller are exemplary. (TEA ratings)
(If you wanted to live out in the NW FT Worth area they only place I would suggest for your housing budget is the Bluffs at Heritage. Otherwise you are wayyy to $$$ for that area)

Southlake is a bit further of a commute but not much... 400k-500k will get you a nice house and excellent schools. There is a small section of Keller that goes to Carroll ISD and vice versa. School Distrcits here are not strictly alligned with city boundries.
Southlake (Carroll ISD has ALL exemplary schools)

Keller and Southlake have the only TEA Exemplary rated HS in Tarrant county.

Keep in mind that I35 can be a REAL mess and same with 820! My husband works right there off of Meachum and we live in Keller. He has about 25-35minute commute.

Now you can look at Trophy club...some real nice new neighborhood going in there and Schools are very good as well (northwest ISD) but your commute would be down I35 and that could end up being a real pain.

To find info on schools and how they are rated etc...you can go to the TEA website. Also if you go over to the Dallas forum they have lots of info if you seach for National merit scholars etc...
Just note...ALL the top HS are VERY competitive...we were amazed at how many kids take all AP classes and have a 4.0+ GPA. Top 10% of any HS in this area is very hard to acomplish.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:47 PM

473 posts, read 1,199,598 times
I live in Flower Mound and exit on I35 just before 820. Commute is a breeze 30-35 mins. If you have to go beyond 820 it gets messy. Flower Mound schools are all exemplary including high schools and are top notch in DFW area specially in Academics. Property taxes are low in Flower Mound (2.1%) and you'll find a lot of value for your $$$ with some master planned communities.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:49 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
Grapevine to this location would be an awful commute. There is no direct route and all of the alternatives have heavy traffic. As much as I love Grapevine, I wouldn't advise moving here with that commute. The UK thread was looking for a vastly different commute where Grapevine would be ideal.

Trophy Club and Southlake will also be a long haul to I-35, thoguh not quite as long as Grapevine. Trophy Club's big drawback is its poor access via highway access roads, and having to go west on those roads to 170 will not be fun in the morning.

Flower Mound is good *IF* you live on the west side closer to I-35. On the east side, it will be a long drive down side streets with school zones to get to I-35.

Keller will really be your best bet. People here rave about the Heritage community and it really is nice.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:02 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,975,697 times
I work in that same area I-35 and 820 and I can make to to work in 30 min with 5 minutes to spare from Southlake. (Not during rush hour) Grapevine would add another 5 minutes. The others in my area whom I work with wouldn't have it any other way. The schools, the atmosphere are worth the commute IMO. From a property appreciation stand point avoid North Ft. Worth and Haslet.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:05 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,975,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adixyz View Post
I live in Flower Mound and exit on I35 just before 820. Commute is a breeze 30-35 mins. If you have to go beyond 820 it gets messy. Flower Mound schools are all exemplary including high schools and are top notch in DFW area specially in Academics. Property taxes are low in Flower Mound (2.1%) and you'll find a lot of value for your $$$ with some master planned communities.
Right FM is not a bad place but what does it offer more than Grapevine or Keller? Wouldn't you get the same home value for less of a commute?

Old 01-07-2011, 11:07 PM

473 posts, read 1,199,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Right FM is not a bad place but what does it offer more than Grapevine or Keller? Wouldn't you get the same home value for less of a commute?
Schools are good in Grapevine , Keller and Southlake but personally I rate them better for FM. OP can check some website like schoolmatters.com . The following website also has some good compiled info/ links on DFW schools.

Dallas, Texas Area School Information

Keller will be the nearest followed by FM (West FM), Southlake and Grapevine. Grapevine, FM and Southlake location will be better from future job prospects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth