Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 09:48 AM

8 posts, read 25,233 times

Advertisements

My community is considering a professional company to take over our HOA. I'm hoping to find others in the area who have had their HOA turned over to a management company. Was it a good idea, or a mistake? If it was good, then please share what company your neighborhood went with. Do you have any advice or suggestions?

I can Google all day, but the information I find will not be nearly as valuable as the first-hand experience I hope to find here.

Thanks in advance for any info you care to share.

Russ in Hillsborough

edit:
I see that I have perhaps broken a rule with my first post. If it is against the rules to ask the questions I have asked, please feel free to IM me if you care to share an experience, recommendation, etc, concerning a HOA management company.

Thanks again
Russ

Last edited by RussHill; 05-22-2010 at 11:03 AM.. Reason: DOH! I should have read the rules first...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 11:41 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,255,953 times
How many homes in the community? Moving it to a big company will likely result in a hike in the HOA dues too... are you prepared for that?

Old 05-23-2010, 06:21 AM

Hi nsumner, thanks for the reply. We have 148 homes in the HOA, not very big compared to other communities in the area (Heritage, Woodland Springs, etc). Yes, I think most homeowners in the area realize dues will increase with a management company running things however, they may not be aware of just how high the dues could go.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:31 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,686,569 times
Colony Square Condos has been very happy with Excel Management; there are 100 homes in that community.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:56 AM

Thanks for the reply Squirl, I'll give Excel a look. Where are the Colony Square Condos, I'm not finding them on my map?

Old 05-23-2010, 04:29 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,255,953 times
Here is a link for Excel Management. Excel AM - Home Page

The other "big dog" company is PMG, Principal Management Group Principal Management Group: An Associa Company

Here is a contact for Acclaim Management, a smaller company Acclaim Management Group, Colleyville, TX 76034

And lastly
Select Management HOA Community Manager Dallas Fort Worth - Home Page

Do your homework about each. Good luck.

Naima

Old 05-23-2010, 04:40 PM

Thanks for the info Naima. As for doing my homework, that's why I'm here, I was sure hoping to hear a few personal stories and/or opinions, etc. about these companies. I'm a bit surprised that there is so little discussion of them, honestly. Maybe there will be more people chime in during the week...

Thanks again!

Old 05-23-2010, 04:47 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,686,569 times
Colony Square Condos is in Dallas. I own an investment property there; don't live there. But attended their annual HOA meeting so I learned how happy the residents are with their PM company.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:50 PM

95 posts, read 256,174 times
I live in the Saratoga subdivision and we have CMA (Community Management Associates)Management for our HOA. That is who the developer hired originally and we are stuck with them until we have enough home ownership to take it on our own.
I don't know that the HOA has been that highly regarded with responding to concerns of homeowners.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:54 AM

150 posts, read 418,476 times
We live in a newer subdivision and our HOA is run by a management company. Next to us is a more established community who USED to be run by the same management company, but the HOA is now managed by the residents.

Both communities have one community pool, no other amenties. The more established neighborhood has larger lots, more expensive homes, and is located across the street from the city park. While our neighborhood has smaller lots, more affordable homes, and located down the road from the city park. With that information, you would think the more established neighborhood would have higher HOA fees, right? Wrong! Their HOA dues are $100 less each year...yet they have a nicer pool, a nicer neighborhood.

The HOA management company is more concerned with keeping relationships with their landscaping company and pool man instead of shopping around for more affordable prices, which is what the more established community has done (they fired the pool guy our community uses because he wouldn't lower his prices). If we have an issue with our pool, it's immediately closed for days/weeks...when the resident-run HOA had a problem with their pool, they made immediate changes to the security around the pool to keep it from happening again.

The resident-run HOA has a website with information, which our management company has said they don't have the time/money to do something like that. The "want" isn't there, the personal connection and desire to make our community the best it can be isn't there...because they don't care. They don't want to spend the money to maintain a website, but want to spend over 2K a year on FLOWERS in our ONE flower bed that doesn't even have flowers in it during the winter months, lol

From OUR personal experience, a resident-run HOA is the way to go. I'd much rather have residents in those positions than people who work over 30 miles away and have no personal connection to the community, other than answering the phone every once in awhile and putting together meetings twice a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth