U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2011, 09:56 PM

85 posts, read 159,628 times

Advertisements

Okay, so I decided I'm at least going to rent in Sendera Ranch for a year before finding a house to buy, either custom built or already built (haven't decided on that one) I really don't want my kids to have to switch schools (again) a year after we move there, but I'm hearing that Sendera Ranch won't have great resale value if I buy. Can anyone explain what determines resale value (especially in today's market) and what other communities service Chisholm Trail middle school and Northwest High? Out of those, who has the better resale value? I mean, I plan on staying in the house until my kids graduate, so it will be at least 8 years. On that note, is it likely the resale values will be much different than they are now? Sorry to be a PITA, but I've never owned a home before and I'm a little confused about the whole resale process. I don't understand how one can determine property values at all for homes that were built right at the peak of the bubble. I don't think there's enough historic data to determine if the area is growiing or declining. Then again, I'm a complete dunce when it comes to this, so anything at all would be helpful. Just talk to me like I'm 5.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 11:27 AM

32,540 posts, read 51,070,183 times
my take on resale--
areas where there is new construction going on vs only homes on resale market mean homeowners are always going to be reducing their price to compete with builders for the most part

neighborhoods where there were mass developments/tract homes and many foreclosures or investors buying to flip and then caught in soft market means there are more rental homes and homes with desperate pricing to move them--that works against price appreciation

people who bought homes in lower price ranges generally have less money to spend on maintenance/upkeep/upgrades so those homes usually show more wear and tear after the new wears off--that means less price appreciation from sales/desireability--
if the location is not excellent/highly desireable for other factors like schools/city government/location to other resources, then people shopping will move to different neighborhood--usually a new development

areas in FTW/Tarrant county vs Keller city limits are usually priced cheaper for similar home even by same builder because of the dynamics of Keller being more "desireable" (real or imaginary but still the perception) over FTW and because the land was less expensive to start with in FTW vs Keller

Frankly think that more people are wanting to live closer to where they work--the gas increase came about the same time real estate here got soft--people realized what a disadvantage they were at with no public transportation to fall back on when they lived in outlying areas and had to spend lots of money for gas---(most people here have too much personal dislike for carpooling and individual schedules to make that an option either)
that meant that the positives that might once have held for buying in area like Sendera/master planned community became less positive when the dynamics of the real world changed

once areas have been built and start to age they don't do it in the same way--you can drive around some neighborhoods that are 10-15-20 yrs old in different parts of the county and see that some have kept their property values and some have not...and that change can start early in the owning/living process

schools +/- can also change when the demographics of the areas they serve change--
that might take years to happen or could happen fairly quickly if there is lot of new construction in some particular price point, if large apt complex is built in area, or if the zoning is changed within the district...and kids from one neighborhood start going to different school than before

You need to talk to realtor who really knows your particular area to get some insights
appraisals have been reduced in general over most of Tarrant county because of the soft market but maybe not as much as the market is really supporting--
but understand that the tax appraisal price is not necessarily the market value--some homes will sell for more than appraised value and for less--it depends on the individual home/the seller's constraints/the buyer's motivation

there are some neighborhoods/areas/price points that have seen appreciation in avg price despite the soft real estate market--it is not all areas that are stagnant--
here again--real estate agents with long time knowledge about their areas are great sources of info

I would say the more familiar YOU are with the area you want to buy in and how realistic you are about your employment situation and ability to handle the mortgage over the next years is also important--

mortgage rates are going up somewhat but that in itself is not a reason to jump into buying a house right now

Old 01-15-2011, 12:20 PM

3,033 posts, read 11,026,984 times
The thing about Sendera ranch is that it sits right next to Keller ISD neighborhoods (and the new HS is just down the road) but is zoned for Northwest ISD (Northwest HS is a bit far way)
So you have schools that are very close but your kids don't attend there.

SMALL lots!! the houses although BEAUTIFUL seemed stacked on top of each other.

Pricing... it's right in the middle of the Villages of Woodland Springs that has lower priced homes but with MANY amenities...pools, tennis courts etc....( an I beleive Sendera is priced higher)

It's pretty far removed...and there is still a bunch of NEW building going on. So a house that is 5 years old but priced the same as a NEW house just down the road wont sell as fast.

Renting is a smart thing to do. See how you like the area, the schools etc...
Northwest HS has a huge attendance zone... they are some neighborhoods out by Chilsom Trail Middle school that look nice...but it REALLY seems in the middle of no-where...We had a soccer game there last year and I felt like i was driving 1/2 way to Witchita Falls!

NOW with all that said...we do know a family that lives there and they seem to really like it. They wanted a brand new house with all the bells and whistles and so they bought for the HOUSE..not re-sale etc...

Old 01-16-2011, 01:13 PM

85 posts, read 159,628 times
Thanks for that. That definitely explains things. I'll take your advice and rent for a bit until I decide where I really want to live for the long-run.

Old 01-16-2011, 05:36 PM

16,931 posts, read 2,159,865 times
Job offer Thursday, drove to TX Friday, looked at houses Saturday and found the perfect fit. Three weeks later we will be moving in Thursday after considerable changes to the house. Dealing with AL realtors - part of the ease of this transition I have to credit to a realtor who listened instead of selling. We will be right in the area you are discussing and are looking forward to it.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:27 PM

427 posts, read 898,463 times
Congratulations! It sounds like it's all coming together for you!

Old 01-19-2011, 12:45 PM

1,379 posts, read 6,048,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
The thing about Sendera ranch is that it sits right next to Keller ISD neighborhoods (and the new HS is just down the road) but is zoned for Northwest ISD (Northwest HS is a bit far way)
So you have schools that are very close but your kids don't attend there.

SMALL lots!! the houses although BEAUTIFUL seemed stacked on top of each other.

Pricing... it's right in the middle of the Villages of Woodland Springs that has lower priced homes but with MANY amenities...pools, tennis courts etc....( an I beleive Sendera is priced higher)

It's pretty far removed...and there is still a bunch of NEW building going on. So a house that is 5 years old but priced the same as a NEW house just down the road wont sell as fast.

Renting is a smart thing to do. See how you like the area, the schools etc...
Northwest HS has a huge attendance zone... they are some neighborhoods out by Chilsom Trail Middle school that look nice...but it REALLY seems in the middle of no-where...We had a soccer game there last year and I felt like i was driving 1/2 way to Witchita Falls!

NOW with all that said...we do know a family that lives there and they seem to really like it. They wanted a brand new house with all the bells and whistles and so they bought for the HOUSE..not re-sale etc...
Huh?? I live out in the district and drive by Sendera Ranch. Keller ISD homes are completely on the other side of 35W and Northwest ISD is right up FM 156. There are two high schools currently and they are adding another one in a few years. For those that live in Keller, it does feel like we live in another world "far out", but it really is heaven.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Job offer Thursday, drove to TX Friday, looked at houses Saturday and found the perfect fit. Three weeks later we will be moving in Thursday after considerable changes to the house. Dealing with AL realtors - part of the ease of this transition I have to credit to a realtor who listened instead of selling. We will be right in the area you are discussing and are looking forward to it.
It is a great area and growing!

Old 01-19-2011, 02:15 PM

3,033 posts, read 11,026,984 times
Guingirl...
What is the NW ISD neighborhood that is off of Timberland East of I35???

I thought that was Sendera Ranch.

I am sorry if I was wrong.

But I still think renting for the OP is a good choice. They seem very confused and not familiar with the area and a first time home purchase...no need to jump in. They are still building out there and yes it's growing very fast. But it is kinda far removed and for some that wonderful but for others they may feel completely isolated etc...
We were in a real delima when we moved here and Hubby and I loved it out in Haslet and Aledo...but we had 2 girls nearing HS and had to take them into consideration as well.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:55 PM

Its still Villages of Woodland Springs, if I am not mistaken. VOWS meanders around, but I have driven through Timberland East and it is a VOWS entrance there.

Sendera Ranch is at FM 156 and Avondale Haslet Road. Just saw in the paper that Haslet is the second fastest growing area in the country. Renting first is definitely a good choice! It took us about 9 months of wandering around, touring homes, considering building and then finally finding the home we are in now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
Guingirl...
What is the NW ISD neighborhood that is off of Timberland East of I35???

I thought that was Sendera Ranch.

I am sorry if I was wrong.

But I still think renting for the OP is a good choice. They seem very confused and not familiar with the area and a first time home purchase...no need to jump in. They are still building out there and yes it's growing very fast. But it is kinda far removed and for some that wonderful but for others they may feel completely isolated etc...
We were in a real delima when we moved here and Hubby and I loved it out in Haslet and Aledo...but we had 2 girls nearing HS and had to take them into consideration as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth