U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2011, 09:25 AM

16 posts, read 43,120 times

Advertisements

Hello:
Just wondering if there were any school safety officers or campus security officers located in Forthworth or Dallas area. Im a school security officer here in California and I'm making plans to move my family there at the end of this month. So I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction an gaining employment as a school security officer close to what I'm doing now? Any training that I may need to do for the state of Texas? I plan on getting my Level III for being a regular guard but would love to do what I'm doing now out in Texas.
Thanks
Chris
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 06:46 PM

32,675 posts, read 51,342,736 times
in the north part of TX most school districts contract with the local police dept for school DARE officers--usually one per school--and hire off duty police if they need security for school events

Dallas or FTW ISD might be the only ones to actually have security guards on campus full time

In Houston area however--there are ISDs who have a private police force and they can apprehend people for issues like speeding even when they are not on school property--
I first found out about that couple of years ago when we were in Spring TX area and read story in local paper about some Spring or Klein ISD police who had been involved in arresting people who were "breaking the law" but not on school property--apparently they can carry guns on school property and other stuff--
thought it was definitely overkill--but at the time the law was passed allowing it think large parts of Harris and adjacent counties had large school districts area wise and few county sheriff officers to police the schools--so guess they started to hire their own security force...

Old 01-18-2011, 07:24 PM

10,607 posts, read 22,588,722 times
L2R's advice is correct. SOme of the bigger ISDs have their own police force. IIRC, Dallas ISD is one of those.

Beware that security guards in Texas make pretty low pay. Armed guards usually make about $12-15 hourly, and the unarmed guards make about $10 hourly. Security companies rarely offer any benefits to their guards.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:44 PM

16 posts, read 43,120 times
Christie and Loves
Thank you very much for the information. I may just pursue another career other than being a school security officer. LOL. I was looking at the pay for guards and there about the same here in California. About 12-14hourly for armed position. I'm going to get licensed on the safe side for extra cash if needed. It looks like I would need to be full on sworn peace officer to work in the schools. Oh well Thank you all
Chris

Old 01-19-2011, 05:00 AM

10,607 posts, read 22,588,722 times
My husband keeps up his Level 4 security license so he can write off his pistol as "tools of trade."

Yes, just about everything in Texas requires a sworn peace officer.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:34 AM

85 posts, read 160,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj c reelz View Post
Christie and Loves
Thank you very much for the information. I may just pursue another career other than being a school security officer. LOL. I was looking at the pay for guards and there about the same here in California. About 12-14hourly for armed position. I'm going to get licensed on the safe side for extra cash if needed. It looks like I would need to be full on sworn peace officer to work in the schools. Oh well Thank you all
Chris
But, 12-14 will go a lot further in Texas than it will in Cali. I'm relocating and taking a $2200 a year pay cut, but my bills will be cut in half so it's like I'm getting a pay raise!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth