U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 10:55 AM

10 posts, read 42,084 times

Advertisements

Just go with realtor to look around for houses.

See two houses with Master Bedroom on second floor. Per realtor, it will be difficult for resale, since people in TX like MB at first floor.

I never hear this. Like you opinion, if it is really painful and longful to sell a house with MB room on second floor.

My another question is about utility bill. I saw a house at 3600sqf disclose the monthly highest electricity bill is $670. Wow, I was told summer month will be like this. I was living in Chicago and NM, my electricity bill never over $120 per month. So that means, backyard facing south will be bad idea? or what direction house should fact to save energy year long.

thanks a lot
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 11:52 AM

33,536 posts, read 53,402,838 times
there have been couple of threads about master bedrooms on second floor--
you might want to search for something similar and read the threads--
lots of info about different areas and how sometimes that is appropriate design and sometimes not

texas has some of the highest utility costs in the nation--we have horrible state utility board and after the state voted to allow deregulation in utilities and most cities did--electric providers took advantage and while they make a profit every year they just raise the rates of consumers...our board sux

regarding the elec use--that varies a lot but frankly I don't think that bill is so high (for the house size) that there are not other people in same situations--lot depends on design--
if it is the layout with foyer open to second floor and second floor having big open area--then it is difficult to regulate heat/cool air flow for comfort--
many rooms run hot and other freeze so people can't really get a comfortable interior air temp/flow
the heating factor from the sun's rays/trees vs no trees/lack of overhand to shade windows/types of windows and any film to block heatgain/
what type of electrical appliances/large tvs-computer use/use of timed thermostats
those factors all play into the KWH use factor and electric bills in addition to the cost of HVAC units

around here you can choose your electric provider--some people don't switch even if there are cheaper rates (we didn't/my husband doesn't like change) so you could ask who the owners use and check its rates vs those of others you could choose

it also depends on what type/age of HVAC system there is--most builders but in the least they can get away with which often times is not really what THAT particular house would actually use if an individual assessment was done--
builders of tract homes use ONE HVAC design for a specific house design--no matter how it is oriented on the lot/if there are trees or no trees--if there are any changes made to design

if the house is older and has the original unit chances are it is not operating that efficiently anymore and that it was the MIN size--a bigger/better SEER rating MIGHT save money on cooling/heating bills but you offset the monthly savings with paying for replacing the unit

BUT HVAC costs are factor that can impact how much house you can buy and one that some people don't take into account when they are considering what type of house to buy here

Old 01-23-2011, 12:21 PM

10,956 posts, read 23,733,289 times
You want the least amount of windows facing west and north. West gets the hot afternoon sun and most of the more severe weather, and north gets the cold winter winds. Windows to the south and east are great.

Electricity also depends on the amount of insulation in the house, as well as owners' preference for temperatures. Installing a programmable thermostat will help cut costs, too.

Do a search here about master bedroom being up. Short answer: it does affect resale.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:07 PM

18 posts, read 49,166 times
We tried to sell our home near Austin twice in the past three years. I cannot begin to tell you how many potential sales we lost simply because the master was on the 2nd level.

We constantly heard feedback from buyers about this. We never did sell and the next time we buy, we will absolutely buy with the master on the first level.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:10 PM

19,857 posts, read 62,108,176 times
As mentioned in other threads, it's about a maturing populaiton of baby-boomers who don't want to climb steps. In a 2-story house, the upper floor is hard to keep cool (heat rises). Even if you buy a "starter house" you will find empty-nesters who are downsizing and who want a master bedroom down.

Old 01-23-2011, 02:08 PM

6,952 posts, read 21,403,635 times
I never thought twice about having a master on the 2nd floor until my late/former husband's last year alive and we did hospice at home. Very, very happy our master was on the ground floor. At that time I pretty much decided I'd always have a house on the ground floor, but then for a short time I lived in an investment property I had with the master on the second floor overlooking a canal in Valley Ranch. It has a hugh balcony off the master and at night you can open all the windows and have a beautiful breeze coming off the canal with no fear of intruders as you sleep. So my point is that I guess I could still be swayed to sleep in a 2nd floor master if there were a compellingly attractive situation. But it is just easier to sell a house w/master on the 1st floor.

Old 01-23-2011, 02:58 PM

33,536 posts, read 53,402,838 times
we were talking with builder several years ago and he said he had woman customer moving in from CA who was talking about having a custom home built--she could not get over how "unsafe" all these houses were with masters on the ground floor--she would have had her master on the second--
which proved two things--
1--she did not know the area she was interested in as far as crime rate and how "safe" it really was
and
2--rich people can do whatever they want if they are willing to take the consequences

there are some parts of Grapevine where probably half the houses in a couple of tract neighborhoods have the masters up--that is because
1--when they were built lots were getting smaller and builders had not thought out new plans to get the master down with the size of the ground floor available
2--people moving in were from east coast where all beds up is very common arrangement so they did not thing anything strange was going on

now some people overlook that design feature because Grapevine is considered "hot/desireable" area and the school district is good

Old 01-23-2011, 03:09 PM

10,956 posts, read 23,733,289 times
L2R might be referring to the fairly new David Weekley neighborhood in Grapevine, but not to mine. My house in Grapevine has the master down, as do both of our next-door neighbors' houses.

Squirl gives excellent advice. When you're faced with an illness or injury, climbing the stairs to the master bedroom can be nearly impossible. My parents have had 3 out of their 4 knees replaced, and they say over and over again how happy they are that their master bedroom is downstairs.

Old 01-23-2011, 04:37 PM

38,729 posts, read 43,599,546 times
Except possibly on lower priced starter homes, master bedrooms downstairs sell much better then master up. Your agent is on the mark.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:13 AM

73 posts, read 255,155 times
The primary utility usage of homes up North is heat, so having a master upstairs maximizes effeciency when heating a home. Conversely, Texas will see a lot more utility usage going to A/C where a downstairs master will take advantage. Its just more effecient this way - you can turn off a whole level of HVAC and still be comfortable. Up masters are usually hotter in the summer unless the AC is zoned well, and even then HVAC people recommend a 2 degree difference in your up and down thermostats to avoid overusing either unit.

Are you sure that $670 bill wasn't from a house with a pool? I moved from an older home with a pool to a new one without one, and my energy usage halved (and the new home is over twice the size). It helps that my new house is energy star, but still almost 4x improvement per sq ft without the 'money hole'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth