Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2011, 12:43 AM

137 posts, read 372,030 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! So, our dream to move to Texas (my DH home state) and most importantly out of WA state has come true! Thank goodness!! I AM SO EXCITED - yet sooooo confused. I have been researching on here for 2 yrs approx and been to DFW 3 times in the last year.....sill can't get a clue!! It's so spread out that it is hard to figure out where is best. Got a job offer in Dallas (design district) and I absolutely LOVE Keller! I know, I know TERRIBLE commute, rght? It just feels like home !!??!! I have flexibility of when I choose to start work.

Does anybody know if I went to work at 5 am if I would miss the traffic?

I can't find another place I am interested in.... semi-rural but not boondocks! We are not city folk for sure.... Need good ISD...

Considered Gapevine but have mixed feelings about it.

Can you help me to make a wise decision??

Thanks everyone!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 04:30 AM

394 posts, read 1,256,535 times
Most of us on this board live and and enjoy Tarrant County. If you will be working in Dallas, it may be easier just to live in Dallas County. Don't get me wrong, our northern 'burbs are great, BUT I would be quite surprised if there aren't equally nice neighborhoods/towns in Dallas County, much closer to your job in the city of Dallas. Also, remember that renting for awhile is a very low risk option. Welcome to the metroplex!

-Eric

Old 01-20-2011, 06:40 AM

11,852 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Keller to downtown Dallas wouldbe a horrible commute. The time would be bad, but also the wear and tear on your car, gas, etc. It's just not worth it since there are plenty of good places to live all over the metroplex.

Two questions:
1. Are schools important?
2. What's your budget?

I highly agree with renting for at least 6 months to get the feel of the area before you buy.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:55 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
leaving at 5 would help avoid most of the traffic but it is still a LONG commute and coming back would have fairly heavy traffic flow...

when you say "semi rural" what do you mean???
acre lot??? able to keep horse on property??? two lane roads with open barditch drainage???
sheriff's dept vs city police???
some people like the Mansfield area and Mansfield ISD (in some areas) is probably equal of Keller's
Dalworthington Gardens is city itself and has Arlington schools that feed into Paschal hs zone--

what about Keller do you like so much--

IN Keller there is relatively little retail shopping, few restaurants, no hospitals although there are drs/dentists and the school are better than avg but you should be able to find the same or better features in Dallas area frankly (and I am long-time Tarrant resident)
the only worse aspect of Dallas really is the traffic--but to get to many of the things you might want to do if you lived in Keller (go to the movies, eat out at nice restaurant, shop at a mall vs strip center) you are going to have to get into traffic anyway
AND there is NO public transportation in Keller or Tarrant county outside FTW itself...there are areas in Dallas you could live and use public transportation and on days where there is icing on the roads that would be a blessing vs driving across two counties...

Old 01-20-2011, 08:37 PM

1,379 posts, read 6,424,364 times
We had a friend that did the Dallas/Keller commute. Yah...it was an hour and a half commute. Have you checked out Coppell? What was it about Keller that made you think of as home?

Old 01-23-2011, 03:58 AM

73 posts, read 271,504 times
It really depends where in Keller you are. It takes me about 35 minutes to reach the Dallas medical district leaving just before 6am from southern Keller (under 30 miles). The design district will be a bit further. Your issue will be the return journey. If you can wait until 630-7pm to leave for home, you will be fine - any earlier will be a beating (12 hour shifts work nicely when going from Keller to Dallas). A few people at my work come from Forney on the east side of Dallas, and claim it is semi rural, but I know nothing about that place...

Old 01-23-2011, 09:47 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
so that would make a 12hr+ day--leave before 630am come back 630pm or later--

Old 01-23-2011, 11:47 PM

73 posts, read 271,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
so that would make a 12hr+ day--leave before 630am come back 630pm or later--
Um, yeah, as I stated (in parentheses like this statement is here). OP, if you can leave Dallas before 3pm, your also good. 4-6, no good. Working 3 days a week, good. 5 days a week, no good...

Old 01-24-2011, 08:40 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,883,491 times
It would be a bad and stressful commute. I live in Keller and like it, we choose it for the schools and the CLOSENESS to my hubby's work. We did the 1hour+ plus commute in DC and will NEVER do it again.
Unlike the DC area this area has ALOT of affordable place with excellant schools all around. So I would really check out more them over by Dallas before you put roots down in Keller.

Coppell
Grapevine
Murphy
Sunnyvale
Garland
etc....

Whats your price range?
Kids? ages?
house size?

If you are still set on Keller...then I suggest renting for 1 year.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:55 AM

295 posts, read 948,939 times
I live in Keller and do the commute to Dallas twice a week (I go to school at SMU). By and large, the time you leave has everything to do with the commute being a breeze or a dog. 5am should get you in Dallas in about 40 minutes, depending where in Keller you live. Just be careful with officer "I like to ticket you if I see you go 3 miles over the speed limit " when you jump on 377 and you should be fine.

The return trip might be the issue. On a "normal" day, I make it in 1 hour or so. On a bad one (the other day there was an accident on 183), 2 hours.

Always check your traffic on google maps, that has also helped me a bunch.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth