Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2011, 01:15 PM

168 posts, read 614,741 times

Advertisements

We were originally thinking of renting a single family home; however, we want to park ourselves somewhere for 7 years (until I have tenure) and a lot of single family homes are unwilling landlords (i.e., people who couldn't sell, etc.).

So we're thinking of apartments. We've been doing high-rise living lately and don't really like it, and when we lived in CA we did the typical sprawling apartment complexes before we bought.

Anyhow, what is the apartment situation like in Ft. Worth? Specifically, we're looking to be within 10-20 minutes of TCU.

Are there certain complexes to avoid? Are there ones you know of that are really good (we're looking for a 3/2 around $1200)?

Are there certain complexes that are known as the "student" apartments (we had these when I was going to Notre Dame....so you knew to avoid them)?

I appreciate any help!!

BTW, you guys on here are way more helpful than the folks over on the Miami boards when I was moving here LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 06:11 PM

425 posts, read 995,682 times
I don't know much about apartments, so can't help you in that regard, but I believe that there are still a number of people who rent out houses because they are investors, not because they couldn't sell their home, so don't give up on finding a house to rent!

Good luck with your move!

Old 01-30-2011, 08:53 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
agree there are people who still have "rental homes" vs those who have their home for sale and resort to renting it as time drags on...

the area around TCU does have % of rental homes that students rent--
what you need is a realtor who will help you find a rental home
I would not want to consider 7 yrs in an apt
and frankly if you are planning to be at TCU for that time and just want to upgrade if you get tenure--
you could buy a house and then resell
there are areas in FTW that are "desireable" except that FTW ISD just does not have that many good middle schools
if you don't have children now and would maybe still have them in elementary school after 7 yrs then I would say rent with intent to buy a house inside FTW in exemplary rated elementary school zone

Old 01-30-2011, 01:34 PM

211 posts, read 495,029 times
There is a wonderful apt. complex just south down Hulen called Marquis at Willow Lake Apartments Overton Park Fort Worth - Marquis at Willow Lake - Fort Worth, TX 76109. It also has some "sister" complexes...one in Stonegate, and one called River Ranch, I believe. They are all on Hulen, North of I 20, and very close to TCU. They are "adult only," a.k.a. no TCU students allowed. These are older, very established, and very well-maintained.

There are also some nice, new apts. near Colonial Country Club, the Zoo, University Park Village, etc. whose names I can't remember, but close to TCU as well.

I believe you mentioned in your previous thread that you have no children, but if you do, the schools in that area of FW are the best. Yes, even McLean Middle School. It is a wonderful area to live and raise a family. I know you will enjoy it.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:17 PM

168 posts, read 614,741 times
Thanks all!

We have no children nor any plans for children, so schools don't matter.

Loves2read: That mentality of reselling in 5-7 years is what got the US into the mess we're in. We did the same thing in IN (bought for grad school with the mentality of "Selling houses is easy" and then the market crashed). We CANNOT buy a home. We are current unwilling landlords for a home in IN that we couldn't sell. Lesson learned. We won't buy again until that home is sold (likely another 7-8 yrs before market bounces back, we're so underwater) and we have 10-20% down payment. Therefore, we won't buy until I have tenure.

NOT owning a home is OK nowadays...there is no more stigma attached to renting.

re apartment living for 7 years: We're in year 2 of high rise living in Miami and have no problems. We'd prefer a big corporation to rent from as we had to leave one private residence here in Miami because of a short sale/foreclosure. We don't need/want that hassle.

I'm also going to be so busy on the tenure-track that I don't want to bother with maintenance and we travel quite a lot when school is on break.

The ONLY reason I'd like a single family home is a concern about my dog barking during the day....but doggie day camps are everywhere!

LuvsFW: I will look at those complexes!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth