Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 04:17 PM

7 posts, read 13,740 times

Advertisements

I have just accepted a position in Hurst, Texas but found a great apartment in Irving, Texas. Could someone give me an idea what traffic would be like from Irving to Hurst? Or should consider moving to the NE Forth Worth area.

Thanks
postend
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 04:23 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
Irving is fairly large and spread out--
would you be coming from the Las Colinas area to Hurst?
North of 183 or more south--like around Hwy 10

that is technically going against traffic--coming down 114 to 121 into 183 west would be the way if you are coming from Las Colinas area
the 114/121 area in Grapevine is in bad shape right now--under construction to widen/add lanes--
bad striping and poor lighting makes driving in the dark in heavy traffic pretty nerve=wracking

the 121 into 183 stretch is going to be under construction within 6 mo and will last for year or more--they are widening 181/121 through the MidCities and adding TOLL BOOTHS--not something to make drivers happy but there it is---

there are some surface roads that drivers use to avoid some of the freeways--
you can use 360 north of the airport to get to 183 or Hwy 10 if you are in south Hurst

CheekSparger road is two lane E/W that gets ton of traffic going east in AM and west in PM so if you are going opposite directions would be less crazy

Old 01-29-2011, 04:30 PM

7 posts, read 13,740 times
Default Commute Irving to Hurst

I will be coming from the Valley Ranch, Las Colinas area. How long do think the commute would be?

Old 01-29-2011, 05:03 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,684,678 times
My good friend teaches in Hurst and lives in Valley Ranch. She says about 20 minutes; I think she takes Belt Line south from 635 to 183 and heads west that way in the morning.

Old 01-29-2011, 06:52 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
You will take George Bush Toll Road to hwy 183 to the Hurst exit. It should be no more than 10 miles and 20 minutes. Most of the time you will be going against the flow of traffic.

This is a short, quick commute for a big city. It will cost you about about $1 in tolls both directions ($2-3 / day)

Old 01-29-2011, 07:24 PM

yes--the Bush would be good option as well
but 183 once you get into Bedford is going to be under construction soon--
IF you need to go into north part of Hurst consider getting off at Murphy going up to Harwood and going west
if you are going into S part of Hurst take the 157 exit south to Hwy 10 and go west

Old 01-29-2011, 11:35 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,535,427 times
There are plenty of affordable apartments in Hurst. Are you sold on Irving for any particular reason -- family, familiarity, etc.? Other than a lack of office parks in Hurst, I don't see how life would be much different in one mid-cities suburb over another.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:11 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,684,678 times
There is a much different vibe in Valley Ranch than Hurst. Valley Ranch is new, pristine, has great canals running through and many apartments have water views and access to great walking trails. The Campion Trail now extends directly from Valley Ranch all the way to urban Las Colinas; its a fabulous bike ride or run. Valley Ranch has great walkability to shops. It is only a matter of 15-20 minutes to zip into Dallas....... Living in an "apartment in a mid-cities suburb" is not what VR is about and the poster who wrote that has never been to VR obviously.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:03 AM

277 posts, read 696,486 times
I live on the Fort Worth/Hurst border and work at 635 @ MacArthur (Valley Ranch). I would not recommend VR to anybody! MacArthur is a traffic nightmare... There is nothing there except generic strip mall after generic strip mall... and a sea of apartments. As I mentioned in a previous thread my job of thirteen years is ending next month and I am almost giddy that I don't have to go to Valley Ranch or Las Colinas anymore... I hope to land a job in downtown Fort Worth but plan to ride the severance train for several months . Anyway, regarding the commute - it ususlly takes me about 45 minutes and people will tell you that you'll be "going against traffic" but that is not the case anymore and they are about to start work over the next few years rebuilding 183/121/820 and it is going to be awful traffic in both directions. You might be better off considering one of these complexes or maybe even North Arlington.

The Boulders Apartments, Hurst Texas

The Arbors of Central Park - Luxury Apartments for Rent in Bedford TX

The Franciscan At Bear Creek Apartments Euless, TX - Apartments for Rent in Euless Texas

Also, by living in the Hurst area you'll have access to great shopping and you'll only be minutes from Sundance Square...

North East Mall - Hurst, TX 76053 | Simon Malls

Sundance Square Fort Worth - Home hope this helps you!

Old 01-30-2011, 08:25 AM

the apts listed in hurst are not bad--but they are older--The Boulders is probably the newest but the Arbors are probably 20 yrs old--they are in area close to restaurant row in Bedford--there is Razoo's, Movie Tavern, Chili's in the shopping center northwest of them--certainly could walk there in nice weather--a McDonalds to get a quick breakfast for the road at Central Dr-and they are close to the freeway and HEB hospital
fairly nice complex--we had friends rent apt there when they were having a house built and sold their quicker than they thought

The Franciscan is easy access to 360 but there is nothing special about that area--few restaurants, no "night life" and I imagine that many of the renters there are families with kids--it is in "residential" area more than the other two

If you like you apt now then just live with the commute for a year--and find some alternate routes--and the traffic is usually busy ALL the time on the freeways between Dallas and FTW--there is just a ton of people with reason to move around even after rush hour traffic...
I live in the Hurst area and while I like it fine--it is not what I would advertise as a mecca for singles...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth