U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 04:09 PM

309 posts, read 738,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
once you see what your company offers consider what you are most likely to need
if you and your husband are healthy with no chronic illness/condition like severe allergies/asthma, diabetes, high blood pressure, IBS, and you normally DON'T get ill
and you don't have children now and don't plan to
you might want to take the plan that costs the least and mainly covers major medical costs the best--like accident/injury or illness like appendicitis

this is something you should be discussing with your human resource person at your company and your co-workers
they are likely to have first hand experience of how well/poorly the plans work in the real world...
while your human resource person is presenting the plan in the best light--the co workers know the real deal...

adding children to the plan usually sees your costs and your employer's double
Yes you are right, I will investigate further on arrival and get the low down from both the official lines and the colleagues who live with it! Luckily my children are grown and not accompanying me (only luckily from this point of view, will miss them dreadfully not being so close for impromptu visits - normally when they are hungry or sick of junk food or they want something!).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 05:47 PM

427 posts, read 899,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerlily64 View Post
. An HMO type offering, is it likely to be any less expensive than choosing a plan thru my company schemes?
Depending on what your share of costs will be through your company's scheme, I doubt that you will find an HMO that will be cheaper, especially as employers have more "purchasing power" and can usually negotiate a discount that is not available to someone purchasing insurance as an individual.

I'm fortunate that I worked for a company that pays 100% of the premium, so I don't have to pay a monthly cost, but when I worked for previous employers, typically, the cost was split 50/50 between me and my employer. Before we had children, it typically cost me $350 a month; you should find out from your employer what the monthly cost will be.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:02 PM

1,379 posts, read 6,051,236 times
Yes, as ExPat said, you won't generally be able to find anything cheaper than through your company. Heath care is changing, but what most people would like is to have the ability to have more control on prices. The big problem is that no one really knows how much things cost.

Sorry for the confusion, Tiger on you versus your hubby.

As Loves stated, your HR person should be a great help to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
View detailed profiles of: