U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2011, 05:22 AM

32,649 posts, read 51,310,120 times

Advertisements

My husband said his boss sent around message through the human resource person yesterday that if anyone had weather conditions too bad/dangerous to come into work (Sundance Sq location) they could stay home--and take a day of vacation--
so he does not give them an EXTRA day with pay

Just wondered what other business responses were for bad weather--

I know with the schools being closed for bad weather, teachers normally have to come in on vacation day or sometimes work a Saturday--even if attendance is really low on part of students...

what about other area businesses???
do YOU get docked a day's pay or have to take vacation day if you stay home?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 11:51 AM

2,721 posts, read 3,935,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
My husband said his boss sent around message through the human resource person yesterday that if anyone had weather conditions too bad/dangerous to come into work (Sundance Sq location) they could stay home--and take a day of vacation--
so he does not give them an EXTRA day with pay

Just wondered what other business responses were for bad weather--

I know with the schools being closed for bad weather, teachers normally have to come in on vacation day or sometimes work a Saturday--even if attendance is really low on part of students...

what about other area businesses???
do YOU get docked a day's pay or have to take vacation day if you stay home?
My business, also in sundance square, let us stay home-- I'm salaried so its pretty much a free day with pay. However, they said to work from home...

Old 02-01-2011, 11:52 AM

my husband is salaried as well--but if he stayed home he would have been docked a day of vacation--
he has 5 weeks but other people especially ones with younger kids have fewer days and need them

Old 02-02-2011, 12:13 PM

427 posts, read 902,275 times
Our company actively encourages "work from home", because they have to be prepared for a disaster (natural or otherwise), so I've been working from home the past 2 days, which means I don't have to give up a vacation day or personal day.

This weather situation is actually a good test for our company in terms of knowing how prepared they would be should the offices actually be closed (we have a location here in Fort Worth, but our main office is in Chicago, and with the blizzard up there, I would guess that 90% of my co-workers are also working from home - I know that everyone in my department in both cities is).

My husband is currently working retail at a big box retailer, and the store closed 3 hours early, so he missed out on 3 hours pay. Today is his scheduled day off, so he didn't miss out on any pay.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:19 PM

my son is working from home one day a week scheduled and yesterday and today and likely tomorrow for sure
his company is cool if he has to stay home on another day to take a delivery or get something serviced
but their business allows them to do that--

the business my husband works at does not have its business online and accessible from home
would cost lot of money to do that and frankly the boss is so suspicious about people NOT working when they are at the office, he for sure would not trust them to work at home on his business...

PS--we have friend with sister living in Buffalo Grove outside Chicago--she talked to her sister today--snow drift halfway up the sister's dining room window--
as bad as our situation--glad I am not in chicago

Old 02-02-2011, 06:08 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,211,623 times
We were given the option to work from home yesterday and today if the roads were too bad to come in, but normally we're not allowed to work from home. Our company was still open both days.

Last edited by elnina; 02-03-2011 at 09:26 PM.. Reason: edited/deleted as requested

Old 02-02-2011, 06:21 PM

I hope your company does not read that post or your name is not recognizable to them--someone might count that as disloyal attitude and call you on the carpet

I know the news people are out there giving us status of weather/roads--but sales people can work from a phone and computer--why do they have to be in the office???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth