U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2011, 06:08 AM

49 posts, read 143,497 times

Advertisements

I am interested, if Arlington tx has a downtown, where you can feel like in a real city? What about a Lincoln square or arlington heights...are this only a shopping malls or something more?
I am a college graduate from Europe and I am comming to Texas for an english language course. I am trying to find a best place for me and also the best school... I am thinking about UTA Arlington (but also about another schools - Denton, UTEP El Paso, West texas a&m) Arlington is great becouse it is close to my beloved city - Fort Worth, where I have spent a summer few years ago...but I don´t wanna to get stuck in a suburb. I dunno if Arlington has something like entrtaiment district.... I have been only to six flags waterpark and I haven´t seen anything else from that city...
Mayby you can give me an advice, which shool and which city to choose.

sorry my poor english, I am gonna to improve it soon

thank yall
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 06:27 AM

2,175 posts, read 4,650,010 times
There really isn't a "downtown" Arlington in the sense that you're referring to. Do you want to live close to the campus because you won't have a car? Because Arlington has no public transportation. Lincoln Square is just an outdoor mall.

Welcome to Lincoln Square

I would suggest living in Denton and going to UNT (one of the options you listed) or living in Fort Worth (since you already like it) and commuting into UTA in Arlington.

UTA is in the beginning stages of revamping its neighborhood to give it a more "college town," walkable feel. But the end result will be many years away.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:11 AM

49 posts, read 143,497 times
I would come only for a half year...and than I will think about it if to stay there. At the beginning I will have no car, mayby later. I would like to live on campus...and then mayby to hangout somewhere around. Pro for Arlington is only, taht it is closer to Fort Worth, where is a great downtown and stockyards, and it is also closer to Waxahachie, where I have some friends.... I dunno.

Btw. What do zou think about that another cities - Amarillo/Canyon, El Paso?
And what about that area around the stadiums? do they have any projects to built there something like urban downtown?? And how much can be a cab from UTA to Fort Worth downtown??

thank you soo ,much...

Old 02-03-2011, 08:29 AM

32,551 posts, read 51,093,178 times
taking a cab would be expensive--there is limited bus service from Arlington into FTW--
check the Fort Worth Transit Authority site to check the times--

there is "entertainment" district around Lincoln Sq especially since Cowboy Stadium came in but that is not close to UTA

run search for "apartments + UTA" and see the threads--many of the apts for students at UTA are older and not that great and that area is not what I would call "walkable"

UNT in Denton does have bus service around the town that feeds the two colleges--UNT and Texas Women's--there is even limited service into downtown Dallas from the colleges--
transportation to/from campus and other areas would be MUCH easier and less costly since your student ID works for your bas pass on that system
Denton as town is having some growth--construction of new restaurants/retail but still not what FTW has to offer or Arlington--part of the retail downtown was raized to built new retail and spruce up Denton--lots of students objected to having their hangouts torn down--
housing is fairly inexpensive depending on what you want to rent and you probably could find someone to share apt if you wanted that

Old 02-06-2011, 03:34 PM

There was supposed to be lots of development in Arlington around the stadium, namely Glory Park, but it all got put on hold because of the recession:

Arlington’s Glorypark on hold, development surrounding ballpark and stadium delayed; surprise surprise | DALLAS SOUTH

Old 02-06-2011, 04:22 PM

that development was due to the past owner of the Rangers--Tom Hicks--who made some damaging business deals with that land as part of the deal
he owned money on it, he tried to leverage himself using the land
he was a blow-hard
while that article posted cites G Bush--it was not really his property or the Rangers' property

Old 02-07-2011, 07:17 PM

108 posts, read 195,309 times
You mention El Paso. UTEP is a very compact, urban campus with a lot of city life nearby. Though it is very much a commuter campus, it does have a number of dorms as well. I think one could get along pretty well at UTEP without a car. Of course El Paso is not Ft Worth. In some ways that's good, and some ways bad, at least IMO.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:36 AM

also have to consider how the spill over violence from Mexico will affect El Paso
lots of people cross over every day into EP for their jobs but violence is not going away
3 Teens Killed In Mexico, 2 Of Them US Citizens : NPR (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=103181125 - broken link)
that would not appeal to me

Old 02-08-2011, 10:52 PM

It's counter-intuitive but the crime rate in El Paso is actually quite low, one of the lowest in the US for a major metro:

El Paso crime rate down; Homicides noticeably drop - El Paso Times

The El Paso Miracle - Reason Magazine

http://www.elpasotexas.gov/police/_d...%20500,000.pdf

www.elpasotexas.gov - Low Crime Rate

Crime rate again dips in El Paso while Juarez's soars | Houston & Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Old 05-08-2012, 05:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,720 times
Arlington does not have a exciting night life for young people especially if you are accustom to
a metropolitan city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth