Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2011, 11:15 AM

76 posts, read 121,025 times

Advertisements

I have been looking to move from Raleigh, NC asap and over a long period of time.
I've heard lots of references to Texas being a good/great place to be and especially the DFW area being potentially suitable me and a place where jobs are easier to find.

I would like to know what people who live there really think of it, good and bad. Good areas and areas to avoid.
I have no kids.

In particular, I would like to hear from people who moved to DFW area within the last 12 months or so (and where from) and how its worked out for them and what they found, experienced etc and if it was what they expected or "as advertised".

I would also like to know of developments/changes, etc., to the area or that will impact on everyone financially that are looming over the next 6 months +.

Thank you in advance for any information/advice/recommendations/tips.

Last edited by Volt61; 02-06-2011 at 11:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 03:20 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
you shouldn't come

Old 02-06-2011, 04:21 PM

76 posts, read 121,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
you shouldn't come

why?

Old 02-06-2011, 04:56 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,738,188 times
If you already have a job in North Carolina then honestly I would just say stay there.

While Texas is doing better than some states the recession has affected it as well and you will have to compete with out of work locals for those same jobs.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:07 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
If you already have a job in North Carolina then honestly I would just say stay there.

While Texas is doing better than some states the recession has affected it as well and you will have to compete with out of work locals for those same jobs.
Very good advice here. Our unemployment rate still hovers around 9%, which means there are a lot of people looking for work. You didn't say what kind of work you do, which will make somewhat of a difference. If you're a RN (nurse), then yes, we really need you!

Old 02-07-2011, 06:23 AM

14 posts, read 23,207 times
Teas IS wonderful, and we're very happy with what we've found. But it's sort of like the "Promised Land" right now, with people from all over flocking to the state because it hasn't been hit as hard as the rest of the country by the recession. As a result, there is some stiff competition right now!

That said, we've been very, very pleasantly surprised! Wonderful cultural district, small-town feel with big city benefits, amazing opportunities for events and speakers and traveling exhibitions, very safe, easy to learn your way around, great diversity, great food, tons of shopping, friendly people, fantastic weather.

The only thing we're having a hard time with is the lack of outdoorsy options. We love to hike, bike, camp, explore and play outside, and short of our backyard, the options just aren't there in TX. It's an incredibly sedentary state and even things like hiking/biking trails and walkability are pretty much getting a failing grade from us down here. We're really missing the state parks and beaches from home, but the weather and the people are sure making up for it. I doubt we'll ever leave!

Old 02-07-2011, 08:05 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
We love to hike, bike, camp, explore and play outside, and short of our backyard, the options just aren't there in TX. It's an incredibly sedentary state and even things like hiking/biking trails and walkability are pretty much getting a failing grade from us down here. We're really missing the state parks and beaches from home, but the weather and the people are sure making up for it.

That statement has a big generality that I take exception too:
"short of our backyard, the options just aren't there"
don't really know where you bought/live so can't offer any specific options but
I think you are not looking too hard for places to vent all that desire for outside activities---
you might have to drive pretty far for a beach but if you had looked at a map before moving you would have seen that Texas's coastline is at the other end of the state from DFW...

Regarding hiking/bike trails--they are here and increasing in number depending on where you live--
if that was important factor to your happiness did you ask about it during your house search specifically--like a hike/bike trail available right from your door?

Found these sites with just one Google effort for Dallas since most people might think it is more urban and less likely to have outdoor activities than FTW
some of the info is redundant and includes outdoor hiking/biking around the state--not just Dallas--and I did not list all the ones that came up

Dallas Parks - Hikes and Biking Trails (http://www.dallasparks.org/parks/trails.aspx - broken link)
Dallas Trails | Dallas Parks | Texas
Biking In Dallas » The Dallas Bike Trail Network
Dallas/Fort Worth Hiking Trails
this works for any city area
"fort worth" Bike paths in Texas, United States at Bikely.com

Running Meetups near Keller, Texas - Running Meetups - Keller
Running Routes: TX, USA - Page 1 of 425
note that site also has cycling and walking tours

Regarding walkability from your home to sites like grocery stores, restaurants, gyms, or city parks--
yes that can be a problem
because of city planning most neighborhoods are built away from main streets where retail/commercial sites are built
but once hot weather comes end of May/first part of June--it lasts until Sept or ven Oct at times and frankly most people would get heat stroke if they walked any great distance except in the early morning or after sun is down--so walkability is not really that feasible/desireable for much of our year...

Regarding state/city/national parks--they are here in TX--
some offer natural camping--others cabins--some have lakes for boating with large craft, some have golf courses, horseback riding, and other activities like eagle watching.
Texas Parks & Wildlife Department | State Parks & Destinations
Texas State Parks - StateParks.com
Texas State Parks, Texas RV Parks, and Texas Campgrounds

so to paraphrase the great line from Field of Dreams: if you Google, you can find it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth