Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 03:12 PM

36 posts, read 47,829 times

Advertisements

As the thread title states, I will be closing on my first house on 2-24-11.

If any body would like to offer advice, please do.

The seller had a security system with broadview and direct tv satellite. I wonder if I should continue these in my name?

Beside changing the locks and getting electricity in my name, (with startex power now lewisville).

Any advice on this process would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 04:37 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,694,877 times
If the garage door opener is not a new one (with rolling codes), change the code. Bring Toilet paper and paper towels. You might want to get rolls of heavy floor protector paper (in the paint aisles at Home Depot) to protect flooring for moving in. Congrats and welcome home!

Old 02-23-2011, 05:09 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,895,840 times
Make sure you know what the security code is and how to change it or deactivate it
that might be more difficult than you think--most of them are wired into phone system and can cause problems with phone lines if they are not turned off properly--
we had that problem when we bought/moved into our current house--did not want security system still active but it played havoc with phone line until it was taken out of the phone box in backyard...

make sure the seller has notified all utilities, the cable and the security people that the house is changing hands--
I assume you have notified utilities when you are taking occupancy but sometimes they won't do anything without notice the seller is closing out

make sure you inspect the house after seller moves out and check for damages--most of the time that is not a problem--
we asked in our purchase contract that the seller have the house professionally cleaned after moving out--they did not actually do that but the house was very tidy--they had cleaning lady regularly

I did not want to be cleaning out drawers and closets or the garage--

do same thing with your mail--
if you won't actually move in for few days take copy of the contract or something from utility company w/new address to post office handling your mail and put HOLD on mail coming to that address
tell them you will come in and pick it up at the counter couple of times a week or what your move in day is...

get the house treated for bugs before you move in--you can do it pretty easily with stuff from Home Depot and sprayer but it is easier w/o furniture and stuff in drawers/cabinets

ask the seller if here are any original blueprints or construction info related to house-=
we did and got good info when we had plumbing problem

Old 02-23-2011, 05:23 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,846,929 times
Do a final walk-through after they are out, just before closing. You can spot any problems that their furniture hid.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:23 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,213,992 times
Give yourself a day or 2 extra to go in and clean up / touch up paint on the house. Don't have the movers there immediately.

Have you put the utilities in your name ?

Drop Broadview, there are just as good for a whole lot less. I like Verizon Fios if available.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:54 PM

36 posts, read 47,829 times
Thank you all for the advice. I will make sure I know the date all utilities will be turned off. I have until the end of march to move. The remote for the garage door will be looked at. Thanks again it helped.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:39 PM

another thing--get the carpet and floors cleaned and windows washed in and out
I know that we are just telling you to spend, spend when you feel like you have used all your extra cash probably
but this is really the best time to get the house as new as you can
I know the name of really good window cleaning co if you want
and I used Oxyclean carpet cleaner when we moved--did a good job--no residue--and it drys VERY quickly--quickest I have ever seen

Also make sure you check the attic if there is storage room there--
the people we bought from left extra tile from the house construction up there which was nice
and no old furniture or boxes--
two of the houses that we looked at when house shopping--people had already moved out but left stuff in the attic--one of them had a mattress and lots of other personal stuff--UGH...

and there was paint in the garage that was left over so we could match the trim paint inside and know the colors for the exterior--makes it easier to repaint if you like what is there--we used different color inside cause we had all walls and ceilings painted somethng different from what they had

Make sure you check the AC filters and replace them when you move
and I would recommend getting shelf liner and doing the pantry and as many shelves in cabinets that you have time for--
I put down some heavy plastic liner under sinks and in kitchen cabs so if dishes were still damp from d/w they would not drip on shelves and discolor them

Old 02-24-2011, 04:36 AM

394 posts, read 1,257,528 times
Don't think that anyone mentioned getting your garage floor coated/painted/tiled (if you're going to do that and if it isn't already done) before you move in while you have a chance. My only $0.02.

-Eric

Old 02-24-2011, 08:10 AM

yes--we had that done
it may not last long--have to do a good prep job to prepare the concrete and clean it thoroughly before
but makes a nice look to the garage

Eric--do you find your floor is very slippery when it is wet--
we put down some cardboard where we would step in/out of the cars when the snow was around to catch the melt --

Old 02-24-2011, 08:23 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,694,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric S View Post
Don't think that anyone mentioned getting your garage floor coated/painted/tiled (if you're going to do that and if it isn't already done) before you move in while you have a chance. My only $0.02.

-Eric
When I shop houses with tiled/painted garage floors I always wonder if foundation issues are being disguised ....... so I never have done this to my places. However, if I were buying a house I wasn't planning to re-sell, I might do it. Sure makes the garage look nicer and easier to keep clean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth