U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2011, 08:03 PM

40 posts, read 110,243 times

Advertisements

Hey! Can anyone tell me what it'd be like living in weatherford or aledo being a single girl in my late 20s?
I like shopping, books, music, & art. Safety is a HUGE priority for me.
I'm working near the navel base & I'm sure ft worth would be
more conducive to a twentysomething but there some extenuating circumstances.
How safe is the Wedgwood south area? & benbrook? I saw houses I liked there, especially one in Wedgwood BUT the crime maps show more crime than I'm comfortable with. Is there a lot of crime?
Any input would be great
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 08:17 PM

10,541 posts, read 22,428,002 times
NAVAL= things to do with the Navy
NAVEL= funny little indention in your midsection

What's your budget? Renting or buying? Downtown Fort Worth and the area along University is really cool if you can afford it...

Old 02-15-2011, 08:44 PM

Hahaha- typo
Buying under $250k I'd like at least 3 beds & 3 baths- I have a large family that will visit

Old 02-16-2011, 06:30 AM

10,541 posts, read 22,428,002 times
3/3 is not very common here except in newer homes above your price range. 3/2 is usually the norm. You can occasionally find a 4/3 or 4/2 in your price range.

I'm not that familiar with Wedgewood, so I will let others comment. Benbrook is nice, but it is a 20-minute commute to the base. Honestly, the areas immediately surrounding the base (White Settlement, Lake Worth) are not all that great. Have you looked up to the north in the Fossil Creek areas? I generally don't recommend Saginaw, but it also might work for you. So would the newer areas in Azle.

Old 02-16-2011, 05:33 PM

32,546 posts, read 51,084,504 times
I like shopping, books, music, & art
If you like those interests you are going to be driving into FTW to get them--
Weatherford is well known for its ties to the cutting horse industry and Jewel does live on ranch close to there with her husband--but what you like to do are pretty scarce there--
in fact I don't think there is a Barnes&Noble west of Hulen area

use the crime map to find the safest areas in FTW and then use your MLS to check for houses in that area
it is possible that you are going to a longer commute to/from work to find an area that satisfies your desire for safety--but just know that you are probably going to have to drive to FTW or areas like Arlington or the Mid-Cities/Grapevine to get more of a night life

the one good thing about area west of FTW is that Grady Spears is opening new restaurant in Willow Park I think--close to Aledo--and his food is "da bomb"

Old 02-17-2011, 12:12 PM

32 posts, read 109,591 times
Wedgewood is an older neighborhood with some nice house but it's between some unsafe areas. Benbrook is nice but not much to do, you have to drive to Ft. Worth (Hulen area) which is not that far. There is a nice neighborhood around the Mira Vista. what commuting time/distance is acceptable to you? are you looking for a new type home or older? Aledo is a nice area i have several coworkers that live out there. to do shopping, books, music, & art - living around the TCU area should fulfill those requirements.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:26 PM

That's what I noticed about Wedgwood & it's what makes me unsure. Bc how long is it before the bad areas bleed into wegdwood?
I don't care if the house is new or old & would like to keep the commute 30 minutes max.
Mira vista is very nice however $$$$$ & super small yards

Old 02-18-2011, 08:37 AM

32,546 posts, read 51,084,504 times
a 30 min commute could take you east into the MidCities like NRHills/Hurst/Bedford some parts of Keller--into Arlington and maybe Grand Prairie
into Burleson or Aledo or north to Azle

you need to check out a RE site and see what houses are out there for your money--you can check location/age/price/features and at least see what you DON'T want because some areas will pull houses that are too old/outdated
I will PM one that has good map feature where you can check the lot/neighborhood pretty easily w/o making a visit--so you can check for proximity of busy roads/strip malls/vacant areas (which might lead to gas well drilling sites)

Old 02-18-2011, 09:55 PM

143 posts, read 296,613 times
I think you should rent, while you're here, do some exploring, you might find the place you were looking for in a different neighborhood.

Try to think of it as shelter rather than an investment(house).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth