Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 08:58 PM

82 posts, read 221,831 times

Advertisements

We may be moving to the Arlington area and I'm wanting to get neighborhood information. We've moved twice in Texas over the last 6 years (East Texas and South Texas) b/c of my husband's job and now have two mortgages and trying to sell both houses in this market. So we decided we will rent for a couple of years before buying. Our price range is 230k-350k if we purchase. But this time we are thinking we really want to try loft or condo living in an area that has an interesting, funky vibe. I'm not sure that would exist in Arlington so we may have to settle for subdivisions again, though we'd rather not. We like the idea of walking in a safe area... parks, etc, and would like access to an organic market, etc like Whole Foods or Central Market. Being involved in the arts is very important as I'm a full-time artist. My husband's job will take him on the south side of Arlington off Hwy 360, but he doesn't mind driving 30 minutes or more. We don't have young children living at home, so a school district isn't a factor. If I can find an artsy part of town, I may be renting a studio there so wouldn't need a large home, maybe 1700 sf. But if I can't find a studio nearby where I live, I would need a larger home. I am wondering if there are any neighborhoods like this near UT Arlington? We would like to live in a progressive urban type area, but realize that Arlington may not be it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 10:22 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,684,678 times
You will need to live in fort worth to find an area like that. Look in zip code 76109. In Arlington you can find some areas like interlocken that have homes in hilly areas.....some lovely contemporary homes...zip code 76012.... But this is not urban or artsy

Old 08-26-2011, 11:29 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,548,812 times
I agree with Squirl -nothing artsy about Arlington. And another thing, Arlington was nice about 15-20 years ago, but it has gotten pretty ghetto over the years since. I seriously doubt that you would enjoy living there. Check out Fort Worth. They're building lots of condos and apartments downtown -very trendy/progressive area. The Historic Electric Building Apartments on 7th Street (website link: The Historic Electric Building Apartments) have some nice modern lofts with reasonable rents. You'd be right around the corner from the Museum District, Forest Park (with jogging and biking trails), the historic Stockyards area (if you're interested in soaking up the local cowboy culture), lots of locally owned pubs/bars, shops, and restaurants, and Central Market (like Whole Foods, but better IMO) a few minutes away on Hulen Street. I can't think of an area that better fits the criteria you laid out in your post. Definitely better all around than Arlington and a quick 15-20 minute drive up I-30 to get to Hwy 360. Also, downtown Fort Worth is very safe with a healthy police presence. My experiences with the cops in that area have all been positive. They seem to have a pretty good grasp on the concept of "To Protect and Serve" without the Nazi vibe that some cops give off. Anyway, good luck and welcome to the DFW metroplex.

Last edited by Zekester; 08-27-2011 at 12:37 AM..

Old 08-26-2011, 11:37 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,906,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekester View Post
I agree with Squirl -nothing artsy about Arlington. And another thing, Arlington was nice about 15-20 years ago, but it has gotten pretty ghetto over the years since. I seriously doubt that you would enjoy living there. Check out Fort Worth. They're building lots of condos and apartments downtown -very trendy/progressive area. The Historic Electric Building Apartments on 7th Street (The Historic Electric Building Apartments) have some nice modern lofts with reasonable rents. You'd be right around the corner from the museum district, the historic Stockyards area (if you're interested in soaking up the local cowboy culture) and Central Market (like Wholefoods, but better IMO) on Hulen Street. Definitely better all around than Arlington and a quick 15-20 minute drive up I-30 to get to 360.
whaaaa???? my hometown artsy and progressive?? nah we are proud of our conservatism there, we are more of a bedroom suburb of dfw so we have homes, you will have to go to the city to get the hip, trendy areas

Old 08-27-2011, 01:14 AM

1,372 posts, read 1,548,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
whaaaa???? my hometown artsy and progressive?? nah we are proud of our conservatism there, we are more of a bedroom suburb of dfw so we have homes, you will have to go to the city to get the hip, trendy areas
I'm talking about the downtown Sundance Square area. After all, it is the home of the annual Main Street Arts Festival. Look, I know its not New York City, but I think it has a lot to offer in terms of the urban lifestyle that she said she was looking for. Sure Dallas's Deep Ellum and Lower Greenville are more trendy/funky, but that would give her husband a fairly long commute not to mention Dallas is a traffic and crime nightmare. I certainly wouldn't want to live there.

Old 08-27-2011, 01:23 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,321,246 times
I, too, would suggest Ft. Worth. The downtown area (Sundance Sq) has some great lofts. There are some nice ones just southeast of the downtown area, too. Sundance is very artsy.

Also, check out 7th St. in the Casa Mañana area. Those lofts and condos are relatively new and the area is alive with things going on. You would be right in the entertainment area with Casa on one side and Sundance just west of you.

p.s. I live in Arlington.

Old 08-27-2011, 07:30 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
I also immediately thought of the So7 area. Every time I am down there, there is a new restaurant, shops, etc. Central Market is at Hulen and I-30 which is just a few minutes away.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:28 AM

14 posts, read 33,484 times
The University of Texas at Arlington area has some progressive thinkers and such. Varying apt options. Levitt Pavilion draws in a lot of arts but it's mostly geared toward music. Are you into drum circles and fire spinning?

Old 08-27-2011, 11:51 AM

82 posts, read 221,831 times
Thanks for the information! I don't want the hubby to commute too far, but the So 7 and Electric Building areas sound up our alley. I will continue to investigate... whether to move to Arlington or south Ft. Worth and narrow it down from there. I'd love it if we were near a Central Market. I have never done fire spinning, but used to be active in drum circles in other parts of the country that I've lived.

Old 08-27-2011, 01:49 PM

14 posts, read 33,484 times
There is a Drum Circle at Feed You Head on Cooper St. on the second Saturday of the Month and at the Unitarian Universalist Church off of California Ln. on the fourth Wednesday of the Month. If you want Central Market Fort Worth has that but I would advice being very mindful of the area you move to. A lot of the area I've lived in South Ft. Worth is a bit run down, crime rates are going up, and there's not much of an art culture in most unless you are in the museum district or a few others farther north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth