Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 07:52 PM

3 posts, read 5,064 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,
I have searched these forums and topics and have found a lot of useful information (thank you!) But figured I could let you know more about my situation and what kind of feedback you could possibly help me with.

My Wife and I, both 26, are young professionals and expecting our first child and Looking to relocate to Fort Worth, TX. We currently live in Huntington Beach, CA. I will be relocating for a job opportunity and am looking for advice on where to look, live, hang out, enjoy, and what to think about the area.

I am in the motorcycle industry and would be working in Roanoke. We like areas with restaurants, bars, and dining, but we are also very much so family types and like to hang out at home- Especially with our new addition coming.
We currently pay $2300/ month renting a 3 bedroom 1800sqft single family home. Of course I would like to cut down my cost of living, since now we pay to live close to the beach anmd downtown bars/dining. I commute 18 Miles each way now, and it takes about 35 minutes each way.

Where would be the best place to live for us to be close to shopping centers with grocery and maybe small neighborhood bars? I would like to stay decently close to a little bit of action, but not be more than 40 minute commute to roanoke.
What areas should we avoid when looking for public schools and nice areas with safe parks? Do you think compared to what we pay now, we will be able to afford the nicer areas of Fort Worth? Would be looking for a 4 bedroom 2500+ square foot house and the more garage the better, I have multiple motorcycles, a '55 lincoln, and our two daily drivers.

Thanks in advance for your help and opinions. I know it's quite a bit different than CA, but in a good way. Hoping to be making our move within 6 months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 09:18 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
Check out the neighborhoods around TCU or in/near the arts district. 7th Street by the museums has a lot of restaurants & nightlife that attracts young professionals. The areas kind of near TCU that are zoned to Paschal High School are popular with young families who want to live in the city, but still have excellent public schools. Lots to do with kids in FW- wonderful zoo, botanical & Japanese Tea gardens, Trinity River Park has a small train kids love to ride!

Old 03-08-2011, 07:24 AM

119 posts, read 215,461 times
With that budget, Tanglewood is a great option for you. I would be there if I could afford it!

Old 03-08-2011, 07:52 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
Roanoke is in the Northwest ISD; it is a highly rated school district. You can also get great value on a home on Roanoke when you decide to purchase, recommend you seriously look there since you will work there.

There are many of the things you describe in Southlake and Grapevine, including shops and restaurants and homes with mega garages. Southlake will remind you of OC. Grapevine would be absolutely perfect for you if you plan on either renting or buying (great schools, close to Roanoke w/reverse commute, great resale real estate area). I suggest you don't move into Fort Worth but take advantage of some of the great burbs in the choice locale of your new job.

Other locations for a nice sized house to rent: Keller and Trophy club (bedroom communities but good location)

704 Briar Meadow CT Keller TX - Home for Rent - MLS #11544670 - Realtor.com®

Old 03-08-2011, 09:19 AM

33 posts, read 85,864 times
I think Roanoke might fit your needs as well. The only thing it does not have is much of a nightlife. There are lots of restaurants (non chain), family activities and good schools. I live in Roanoke and am literally 5 minutes from the elementary, middle and high schools, grocery stores and multiple restaurants. The only problem with living in Ft Worth and working in Roanoke is that your commute would not be pleasant, even if it is technically a reverse commute. 35W is one of the busiest highways in the area.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:30 AM

1,379 posts, read 6,424,364 times
I would stay around Roanoke. Now...mind you, it isn't Huntington Beach and you will miss it, (the ocean) but with the amount of money you will generally save on cost of living you can go visit!

For that amount of money renting, you can buy if you like, but you should be able to find a nice rental perhaps in Briarwyk. Its close and its your standard housing development, but you will probably see more upgrades in quality for the price.

Roanoke has a funky little old town that has one of the best Texas restaurants around - Babe's Chicken Shack. It's byob (as a lot of places here - you just bring your cooler in). Everyone we take from out of town to Babe's loves it and Roanoke really promotes that little restaurant row around Babe's. They usually hold a big party once a year incoporating the area.

We are in the Northwest ISD as well and LOVE it!! Great family area and its only about 15 mins to Southlake which is the upscale shopping area (typically thought of as "new money").

We moved out from Sacramento three years ago and live out in Northwest Fort Worth and love it! I have a lot of family in Laguna Nigel and San Juan Cap., so familiar with the area.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:00 PM

211 posts, read 494,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunebloc View Post
With that budget, Tanglewood is a great option for you. I would be there if I could afford it!
I raised my kids in that area/school district, and would highly recommend it. I would also recommend living in FW proper rather than a suburb. There's just something about being around people who have put down deep roots in FW and appreciating all that the city has to offer. Lots of nightlife, wonderful for families, parks, zoos, you name it.

Another great area very close to TCU are the Berkeley, Mistletoe, Ryan Place neighborhoods. The elementary school there is Lily B. Clayton, which is great, and it too, feeds into Paschal. That area is a little more artsy, funky, great restaurants, parks, the zoo, etc. I just highly recommend either one of those neighborhoods.

I hope you find something wonderful. Sorry about the commute.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:02 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvsFW View Post
I Another great area very close to TCU are the Berkeley, Mistletoe, Ryan Place neighborhoods. The elementary school there is Lily B. Clayton, which is great, and it too, feeds into Paschal. That area is a little more artsy, funky, great restaurants, parks, the zoo, etc. I just highly recommend either one of those neighborhoods.
Thank you! I live in Dallas and don't know all the names of the FW hoods, but those are exactly the ones I referenced in my post last night. I'm glad you posted to help OP! I definitely see them in the city based on his description of wants/needs/likes.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:29 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
driving from inside FTW to Roanoke via 35 is the pits--and will run 40+ min each way--maybe more

you can search the FTW forum for "commutes" and "I-35" and Alliance--which is large mfg/commercial airport area around Haslet/Roanoke

there are some really nice areas in FTW and yes--it could be fun for young married couple--
FTW ISD has some good elementary schools but middle schools are not good

you might want to consider renting for year inside city and see how you like that commute

Old 03-08-2011, 09:10 PM

1,379 posts, read 6,424,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Check out the neighborhoods around TCU or in/near the arts district. 7th Street by the museums has a lot of restaurants & nightlife that attracts young professionals. The areas kind of near TCU that are zoned to Paschal High School are popular with young families who want to live in the city, but still have excellent public schools. Lots to do with kids in FW- wonderful zoo, botanical & Japanese Tea gardens, Trinity River Park has a small train kids love to ride!
Yah...I wouldn't want that commute. I would look Roanoke or Keller, but renting isn't a bad idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth