Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 11:09 AM

2 posts, read 3,455 times

Advertisements

Hello, I 've browsed and searched but didn't come across many recent posts (~2011) on my type of situation:

My spouse and I are have no kids, probably won't, late 20's to early 30's, have 3 lab mutts (60-70 lbs) and both have graduate degrees. I am being relocated to FTW, spouse will stay behind until current house sells and school year is over mid-May.

We don't party - but would like to be adjacent to restaurants, museums, parks, etc. I'll work on the S/SE side of FTW, but could also swap back and forth to the upper NW area.

We currently have a 1917 Craftsman bungalow that we've redone. We're handy, hard workers and enjoy that. We prefer the character of an older home and community. The back yard of our current 0.25+ac is too small for the rambunctious puppies, so something larger - or that allowed most of lot to fenced would be best.

As most would, we'd like a safe neigborhood, but are fine with neighborhoods "in transition."

We can afford a home up to 360k, but would really rather have something cheaper: we can do our own work and would like to pay off some of our schooling debt.

Rosedale south to 20 and Hemphill west to trail lake dr/ TCU has been suggested to us as a place to look. Fairmount sounds and looks applicable.

A 3/2.n/2 on a 0.5 ac lot in a historic neighborhood close to things to do would be ideal - but we know that combo is unlikely.

Does anybody have suggestions for neighborhoods to look at? Areas that are starting to gentrify? Under the radar locations that need renovation and a couple years before the neighborhood is regarded as revitalized? As long as the home is livable, we can deal with it as we renovate. Maybe stratify suggestions based on price? <150, 150-250, 250-360k?
Timeline 1.5-3 months.

Alternatively,
What are some cheap, decently safe neighborhoods to buy/live in while we experience FTW and decide where to live, then rent it out after we "move up?"

Thank you in advance!

Oh and, what are some suggestions for school districts that are well managed and perform well? For spousal employment purposes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 01:27 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
you need to Google for some info about the current budget crisis in TX and how that will impact local ISDs--
most districts anticipate NO hiring for the coming school year--
many will be laying off teachers
some are trying to avoid that by having incentives to get people to leave/retire
many will start with teachers with 1 or 2 yrs experience that don't have tenue--it is less lengthy process...
some districts are declaring a state of financial emergency which is legal maneuver that has to be done to make it possible to RIF teachers/admins w/o having lengthy hearing process

while your wife may be excellent teacher unless she is able to offer some extremely UNIQUE skills that no one else has it is going to be next to impossible to get job...

I really don't think there will be any district job fairs in this area--maybe the general one in Arlington that many districts had reps at will still be open but I wonder if there will be enough districts that want to field a place to make it worthwhile...

Regarding your house question--
within FTW areas with older, craftsman type homes there are few that are on half acre lots
most of them are probably less than .25
You can use a RE site search and qualify your requirements by lot size--so you can see what is out there
have you tried that?
can PM a site that will allow it and has some other nice features

if you are working in that area of FTW you might consider going farther out like Aledo or Burleson where you can have more land
but you would then have to drive into town for most entertainment

Old 03-12-2011, 02:16 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,686,569 times
The best managed school I know in the FTW area is not public: The Oakridge School

As Loves2Read had indicated, the school crisis is rocking every district; although the Northwest ISD claims it is/will be healthy.

Good idea to rent first. Look in zip codes 76109, 76110 and also Arlington Heights 76107.

I am an investor. I am always watching for properties in the Fairmount and Jennings-May St. Louis areas in FTW; they have many older properties. Ryan Place is already a target kewl area but has some potential good finds. Berkeley Place, Mistletoe Heights and Tanglewood are highly desirable and wildly popular.

Last edited by Squirl; 03-12-2011 at 02:24 PM..

Old 03-12-2011, 05:54 PM

211 posts, read 495,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
The best managed school I know in the FTW area is not public: The Oakridge School

As Loves2Read had indicated, the school crisis is rocking every district; although the Northwest ISD claims it is/will be healthy.

Good idea to rent first. Look in zip codes 76109, 76110 and also Arlington Heights 76107.

I am an investor. I am always watching for properties in the Fairmount and Jennings-May St. Louis areas in FTW; they have many older properties. Ryan Place is already a target kewl area but has some potential good finds. Berkeley Place, Mistletoe Heights and Tanglewood are highly desirable and wildly popular.
I agree...Fairmount sounds like it would suit you to a T! You can still get a deal there...maybe Ryan Place also...not so much anywhere else.

Squirl, I'm curious as to why you said that about Oakridge. I heart Oakridge too. But I work at another independent school (not a teacher). Wondering what elevates it in your eyes.....

Old 03-12-2011, 06:44 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,686,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvsFW View Post
I

Squirl, I'm curious as to why you said that about Oakridge. I heart Oakridge too. But I work at another independent school (not a teacher). Wondering what elevates it in your eyes.....

First hand knowledge as a tuition paying G-parent!

Old 03-12-2011, 06:58 PM

211 posts, read 495,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
First hand knowledge as a tuition paying G-parent!

Old 03-13-2011, 10:17 AM

2 posts, read 3,455 times
@loves2read: Thanks for the school info. That's not the first time we've heard this - so expectations are low and a wide net is being cast.
We've used several sites, and some allow more specifications than others - but please send your link(s). We prefer in the loop, but will start searching outside - thanks for the suggestion.

@Squirl: We'll check out Oakridge - to be aware of it, no posted openings. Renting was my initial idea - but I didn't have any luck finding a place that had outside room for three large dogs. I note your suggestions, but perhaps am just not good at rental searching. I've never rented, can you post here or PM rental search methods/ sites that would/could exclude all the condos etc that don't work for us?

Invest to renovate & flip, or fix to maximize rent?

@Luvsfw: Thanks for voting for Fairmount & Ryan Place as a fit for us. We'll try to look for a deal there - as long as Squirl doesn't beat us to it.

Thank you all for your help and direction. We definitely have more searching/learning to do.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:04 AM

11,855 posts, read 26,872,645 times
Find Real Estate Listings, School and Neighborhood Information and More - Realtor.com® and click on "rentals"
Craig's List
Star-Telegram.com | News, Videos & Commentary about Fort Worth, Arlington, Dallas, Texas, Cowboys & more

Old 03-14-2011, 08:37 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
note the lot size on the Alston house----.11--that is not enough for a cat much less three large dogs...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth