U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2011, 11:16 PM

33,205 posts, read 52,492,515 times

Advertisements

has anyone had granite added to kitchens as remodel?

have you had to use some type of support underneath because of the heavy overhang?

what do you consider to be TOO wide a seam where sections join--
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 07:56 AM

6,952 posts, read 21,177,525 times
I had one of those step up breakfast bars remodeled on a property and made it a flat surface. We had to construct extensions on each side to put a leg out, perpendicular "I" shape on each end to support the slab. I like very tight seams, mimimum 1/8" and on every job I make sure the contractor knows this. After my first concrete install in 1993, I learned to be very vocal about it. However there are some wonderful colored putty fillers (made as wood fillers, you can get a Elliott's Hardware) that do a great job blending seams.
Attached Thumbnails
granite remodel-img_2373.jpg  

Old 03-13-2011, 10:15 AM

33,205 posts, read 52,492,515 times
like the backsplash and like the look of the lower bar area--
have seen that done very effectively in some photos where the bar is more like semi-circle table--
makes great conversation/snack area

I did not research last night--seems that 1/8 inch is sort of industry standard but there are fabricators who can make them tighter than that
have friend who had kitchen redone--kept cabinets but they were repainted==switched Formica for Uba Tuba granite/new backsplash/new cabinet hardware--

think the granite fabricators just did a really sloppy job--
she has many runs with seams that are WIDE--look more like 1/4 inch--the filler used seems lighter than the green Uba Tuba so when it dries will be lighter still--
and the way they supported underneath the raised bar--the top of that cabinet run must have been uneven--lust laid granite on top of the cut sheetrock panels and the interior 2x4 framing--
there are places where the shims are stacked 3 or 4 and other places where they are 1 or 2--
then the support steel strips are not NOTCHED into the cabinet top--just laid on top--so the granite sits on top of them--

You can see underneath that bar from the den area--and it looks pretty crappy...
to me
she is upset
her SIL who is builder for small office plexes and who is one who sent her to the granite place she got the granite slabs and the fabricators has used them before on his jobs--
he said they will come back Monday and fix the problem--
but the bar top is in three sections--
hope they can get it off w/o damaging the granite or the counter

NOT work I would be happy with--
she has only paid half--so she does have some leverage

my husband said there were cuts around her sink area on the lower counter as well--
it is angled into the counter run--not a straight fit--so they probably thought it was safer to use sections vs having it break under tension of move...

but the seams just seem really sloppy--especially in some corners...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
View detailed profiles of: