Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 03:45 PM

46 posts, read 82,379 times

Advertisements

Hi again!
We've just got back from our week in the area. We got alot of positive vibes, spoke to alot of nice people. We did like the look of Keller, appeared to have some lovely homes.

I looked around some of the Keller and Southlake schools. Just wanted some general opinion on the Intermediate schools in the Keller area......... I looked around Bear Creek and South Keller, both seemed ok on the surface, we were a bit concerned about the lack of any fencing what so ever around the Bear Creek school yard/field. Also we were told by Bear Creek that South Keller has lower income in the area but then we were told by South Keller that Bear Creek has alot more apartments.

Any help/thoughts????? Please!
I just want my kids to be in a safe neighborhood with good decent kids attending the school. Am I expecting toooo much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 04:13 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
those are large jr highs--
you are going to have multi levels of kids at either one--
Bear Creek pulls from some Southlake and Westlake addresses--
South Keller pulls from Colleyville addresses--neighborhoods off John T White mainly I think

they are rated the same by TEA--exemplary--highest

you can look at the results from last year's TAKS for both schools

see which one has larger numbers of students making higher scores--just remember that science is likely the easiest of the 3--math would be the one I would check to compare--
there is little reading taught in jr high--unless a student is really struggling and most of these obviously aren't--but math is difficult and can screw kids up who transfer in from another ISD or state--more complaints about math teachers ability to actually teach probably than any other area--cause math is just hard

Keller ISD | 2010 TEA Accountability Ratings | Keller, TX Schools | MLS Listings Keller ISD

click on each school and check for COMMENDED performance--those are the students who score highest (almost 100%) on their TAKS tests--
Bear Creek had 46%-more than South Keller with 41%
Trinity Meadows has only 31%
Parkwood Hills has 37%

also check the number of students in G/T program (not same as pre-AP but GT kids can decide to go into AP strand in 8 or 9th grade)

so that is one way I would filter --
even if the kids are smarter originally going in--at least the school is not making them dumber--which is a possibility

I would not worry too much about not being fenced --most junor highs I have been around are not fenced completely--too many kids walk to campus or ride bikes--and having fenced access might be too restrictive

maybe that will help with some insight

Old 04-15-2011, 04:42 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,883,491 times
Quote:
those are large jr highs--
NO they are intermediate schools... 5th and 6th only.

Bear Creek and South Keller (SKI) are both GREAT schools. South Keller (2 of my attend/ed)now currently has an EXCELLANT principal in Gary Manz. (I did not care for the one before). Communication is excellant with teachers etc... I give the front office of Bear Creek tops over SKI, SKI has gotten better with a new receptionist and admin. but they are still somewhat "chilly".

They are both more diverese than Southlake schools duie to this and therefore I think they rank higher. If you only deal with upper middle class and up from mostly 2 parent households, where the Majority are college grads etc... you SHOULD get no less than exemplary rating. But when you have low income etc... and STILL make exemplary then you have teachers who are really going the extra mile. (still every school has it's duds!)

lower income... yes both have some (but not much)
Bear Creek has the apartments by Keller HS and then the ones in Towncenter ($$$$)not low income. and the ones over in Bourland..again ($$$)
The older neighborhood that is next to BCI has some lower income families (houses go for around 175-210 ish) And the area behind the HS. smaller older SFH.
SKI has part of Watagua that is in it's attendence zone. older houses mostly blue collar (about 10% of the population) and the neighborhood behind SKI and Indian Springs.

Both schools have kids in 1mil+ houses and kids who are renters etc...

Check out the #of kids getting the free lunch program, it's not that high.

Fences around the schools. Not really an issue, the kids are never outside with out supervision. most of the elementary schools do not have fencing all the way around.
SKI has fencing along North Tarrant because it is busy and soon will be 4 lanes...
Bear creak parkway is NOT very busy at all. and I think they is a fence along part of the road.

BCI has been there longer so many old time Keller residents will say it's the best etc... but I believe the two are pretty much the same.

feel free to PM me if you want more details. I have 3 kids in Keller schools and also work in the school district.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:44 PM

425 posts, read 995,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
also check the number of students in G/T program (not same as pre-AP but GT kids can decide to go into AP strand in 8 or 9th grade)
Based on what I know of some of the students in the GT program at the intermediate school my son attends, I am thrilled that he is in after school tutoring, and not in the GT program.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:54 PM

I just meant that GT is the strand for students who test as high IQ--
while in jr high and high school there are two strands---
G/T and pre-AP/AP--Keller does not have an IB program

and I don't have kids in KISD--and my district did not do "intermediate schools" -- just more conventional 7-9 jr highs
so that was my mistake--

Old 04-15-2011, 07:58 PM

425 posts, read 995,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post

...has some lower income families (houses go for around 175-210 ish)
Wow! Someone who owns a house in the 175 - 210 ish price range is lower income? Seriously?

Old 04-15-2011, 10:07 PM

358 posts, read 1,075,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatChicagoan View Post
Based on what I know of some of the students in the GT program at the intermediate school my son attends, I am thrilled that he is in after school tutoring, and not in the GT program.

I had 3 children in KISD's GT program and frankly, it was a joke. A pull-out program that really did nothing to enrich or enhance their learning experience. The teachers were unorganized and pretty much shot from the hip in regards to curriculum. I was VERY disappointed with the program.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatChicagoan View Post
Wow! Someone who owns a house in the 175 - 210 ish price range is lower income? Seriously?
Ditto!!! How is that lower income? I guess it's all about perception.

Old 04-16-2011, 07:23 AM

why take offense at something that was only meant to be quantitative--

there are plenty of homes in Keller ISD priced OVER 210--and the ones that are in Westlake section or Colleyville section or Southlake areas are more expensive
just like most of the newer developments along Bourland Rd or north of 1709 (in general)

truth is that most people buy as much house as they can afford for various reasons--so someone in a 210K house is not as likely to be making 300K as is someone in 700K house

Old 04-16-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
why take offense at something that was only meant to be quantitative--

there are plenty of homes in Keller ISD priced OVER 210--and the ones that are in Westlake section or Colleyville section or Southlake areas are more expensive
just like most of the newer developments along Bourland Rd or north of 1709 (in general)

truth is that most people buy as much house as they can afford for various reasons--so someone in a 210K house is not as likely to be making 300K as is someone in 700K house

I'm not offended, I just said that it's all about perception. Someone who makes $400,000 per year may consider $100,000 low income. The person making $100,000 may consider $50,000 low income. The person making $50,000 may consider $25,000 low income.......................................Perce ption.

Most people buy what they can afford, some overbuy their income while some are more prudent and live well below their means. You can't say that someone is necessarily low income because of the house that they live in. Certainly not if they live in a $175,000 home.
Ever read "The Millionaire Next Door"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth