Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 06:00 AM

168 posts, read 614,650 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We're moving to the area in the summer. Looks like there are a LOT of grocery stores near our new apartment (Bryant Irvin & SW 820 area). I'm currently living in FL and we only have one grocery store chain (Publix) and the prices are high.

How are the following stores for prices and selection (fruits/veggies). I also like a good bakery:

Kroger
Albertsons
Tom Thumb (is this just a Safeway?)

Not sure what else is around there?

I saw a Super Target, but have never been impressed by their prices or selection in other cities I've lived in. Is there a Super Walmart nearby too?

I do have a Costco membership and saw that is nearby. Only good for bulk though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 06:27 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
We moved here in January and I am still on the prowl for small specialty stores. Can anyone help out please? I am looking for oriental and mexican markets; farmers' markets would be nice too. Thank you.

Here are my five cents:
Kroger - you have to watch out, special offers can be calculated in several ways, prices have steadily crept up. Pull up the web site.
Albertsons - the meat section of the two stores I have been to was huge but that was it.
Tom Thumb - DH likes it

Sprouts is on my list for this week. A neighbor recommended it.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:30 AM

663 posts, read 1,724,222 times
I just moved to Texas from Georgia about a month and a half ago. I have family here and have been to visit before (and even lived here myself until I was about 8 years old), but this is my first experience living here as an adult so regular grocery shopping here is very new to me. I've been to other grocery stores I'm pretty sure are still around (Central Market, HEB, Brookshires, Minyard) but have only been to the four mentioned above (Kroger, Albertsons, Tom Thumb, Sprouts) for regular grocery shopping. Here are my early impressions:

Tom Thumb - It's funny you mention Publix because I sort of equate Tom Thumb with Publix. IMHO, they're more expensive than they're worth and they're missing generic equivalents of a lot of products. If they were the closest thing to me, I'd likely shop there some but otherwise, I prefer my other options.

Albertsons - I liked Albertsons meat selection and their prices were decent but their dry goods selection was more limited than Tom Thumb or Kroger. I was also very unimpressed with their produce. Since I'm making Florida chain equivalents, Albertsons reminds me a lot of Winn-Dixie.

Kroger - If I had to pick one grocery store off this list it would be Kroger. They're produce isn't great but isn't terrible either. Same with the bakery (though I did like the fresh-made tortillas). Same with everything there. They also have an extensive generic lineup that I've had good luck with far more often than not. If I want to get everything off my list, not spend a fortune on it, and get it all from one place, Kroger is where I'll go.

Sprouts - Sprouts has fantastic produce, a good bakery, a good meat department, and a dry goods section similar to a Whole Foods. It's also very very expensive. Their sales are great (for example, $2/lb boneless skinless chicken breast), but for me it's not enough to be a regular there.

As far as Super Target, I agree with your assessment. They seem to be lacking selection and their prices aren't the best but I've never done full-fledged grocery shopping there. Super Wal-Marts are around but I'm not sure if they're in your particular area. When I lived in Georgia, that was my closest grocery option. There prices are good and their produce is decent but I hate the way they're laid out and they have a knack for missing at least one important thing off my list.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:02 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,839,259 times
I go to WalMart for items like cat food, cleaning supplies (dont go to Sam's or Costco), but rarely shop there for "food"--although I have bought some items at times and the pineapple at WalMart was some of the best fresh I found--and cheaper
For bread--so many people here are used to buying packaged bread that they just don't put as much emphasis on good bread that Europeans or people in other areas might do
the local bakeries seem mainly geared to cakes--but there are some bread bakeries --ones I am most familiar with are in Grapevine area vs FTW but Google for info--I am sure there is at least one in your area

There is Farmer's Market in FTW at the big traffic circle across from Frank Kent cadillac on Southwest Blvd that is not too far from you--
Cowtown Farmers Market
and one on S Hulen St which is even closer if you want local, fresh produce and some other products -- like honey or meat
Texas Department of Agriculture Farmers Market Listings

I think Albertson's always smells like "meat" when I walk into the stores around me--which is real turn off so I don't shop there

Kroger's does unit pricing even with sales items which I find invaluable and many stores don't
I agree that their produce can be hit or miss but they are normally cheaper than Tom Thumb so I do lot of my shopping there

There is chain that has just come into DFW market--Aldi--which is based in Europe but has fairly large presence in US and is adding new stores--
smaller footprint--narrow aisles/small carts--and the store need me seems very dark inside
not lot of variety but some people go there for just specific items--say their store brands can be good quality--their produce is packed in bundles for items like squash which I don't like--
NO credit cards taken-- you have to bag your own purchases and bring your own bags--or buy them-chocolate from Europe is one product where you can save
search for Aldi's here or Dallas forum and you get hits on past threads

Old 04-18-2011, 08:45 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,612,344 times
I think you'll find that if you watch the sales ads and take a few trips to each you will soon find out which one(s) fit your needs best.

I have, within decent driving distance, Walmart, Target, Albertsons, Kroger, Tom Thumb and Aldi.

Money is our biggest issue as we don't have gourmet appetites.
I have found that Albertons's and Tom Thumb are just so much more expensive than the others that I don't even try to catch their sales at all.

I hit up Aldi for many things once a week or every other week, even though they are not the closest to me. They have the best price on milk, eggs, bread and many pantry staples. No they don't generally carry name brands, however the prices make it easy to try their brands at least once to see if they are worth it.

After I've gone to Aldi's, I'll check Kroger for what's on sale and maybe make a trip there. Kroger has a couple of perks that are good ones, though to save money you have to sign up for their store card. It's not a big deal though. First, after spending $100 you can use your Kroger card at their own gas station to save money, or at Shell for .10 off per gallon. The other day I paid 3.60/gallon at the Kroger station while everything around was at 3.79. Then, you can download coupons on the card and if you use a paper coupon on something that you also have a card coupon on, it will register both coupons!

Kroger runs some of the better sales sometimes, but daily prices are higher than Walmart, where I do the rest of my shopping.

If I just don't have the time and need various things, then I will just go to Walmart and skip the others.

I buy various produce at each store and never had an issue. I just bought a cantaloupe at Aldi's for .79 but haven't cut into it yet. :-)

The meats have always been a hit or miss. The best prices on ground beef is definitely at Aldi's day in and day out. Prices may be good on the rest of what they have, but the selection is indeed very limited. Kroger runs some good meat sales and if you get there around 10 AM you often can find some markdowns that are perfectly fine. Walmart has more selection than the other two in general, however it may or may not be the best find.

It can be a trial and error to find the best fit, and you might find like I have that there is more than one good fit.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:39 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,839,259 times
and I have two Krogers close to me--have shopped at both of them--and find that they are not the same regarding layout, customer service, attitude and sometimes items like produce selection can vary

same can probably be said for any grocery chain--

and if you care for ethnic foods--Fiesta Mart usually have more in line of what Hispanic cooks would want

Old 04-18-2011, 11:22 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,612,344 times
Yep, same can be said for most.

There is a very old Kroger on Bridegwood that is very dirty and dark. The clientele is so very much varied...lots of elderly people, lots of lower income folks and everything in between. It comes off as old fashioned and less educated, though it's definitely not the case. The one down on Pipeline is very similar.

The two Krogers on Grapevine HWY just a few miles apart are quite different even with their proximity to each other. The one closer to Precinct is newer, lighter and caters to a younger more organic shopper while the one closer to Glenview caters to older and less sophisticated shoppers.

If you want to see a Kroger that is completely different, try the one on Rufe Snow and North Tarrant. It has recently been remodeled and restocked for a different clientele all together. They seem to be trying to compete with the organic/natural shopper that Central Market and Market Street are after. One example is that you can grind your peanut better there and you can fill a bag with any kind of nut you might possible want and buy it by the pound.

Same goes for Walmarts. Check the one on 121 and Beach and find it caters to a very large group of hispanic shoppers and has one of the better selections of hispanic foods/spices. The one on Precinct close to Aldi's is very generic and general over all. The one further down Precinct in Keller goes for the higher end customers and less hispanic foods available. Then the biggest one at 820/Rufe Snow goes for families of all sorts. And the one off 121 is also an older store that catches people coming and going from work/trips/school and not as much those stocking up.

Targets have less differences among them all in what they carry, however they have a bigger difference in pricing between stores than Walmarts or Krogers seem to have and their markdowns are store based and not company based. That means you might find a particular item on clearance at the Target in Hurst but it will stay regular price at the one off Glade/121.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:09 PM

690 posts, read 1,728,588 times
There is a large number of grocery stores in the Area.
Most are average every day shopping with all specialties.
There are some that are Specialty stores such as:
organic, gourmet, on-line, warehouse,
or culture driven (Mexican-American).
Other specialty stores do exist but here is a short list
for your everyday grocery store shopping.

Grocery Stores In Relation to Fort worth (I-20/Bryant Irvin)

Albertson's:
Albertsons - Groceries, Coupons, Weekly Ad, Recipes and Pharmacy
Aldi's:
www.aldifoods.com/
Brookshires:
6708 Lake Worth Blvd
Brookshire's Food & Pharmacy
Carnival:
102 Northwest 28th Street
http://business.intuit.com/directory/search?name=carnival+food+store& (broken link) location=fort+worth+tx&intxcar=1

Cost plus:
elrod's cost plus

Central Market: $$$$
4651 West Freeway I-30 and Hulen
Central Market | Home
Costco:
5300 Overton Ridge Boulevard
Costco
Fiesta:
275 Northeast 28th Street
Fiesta Mart | Get Your Imagination Cooking!
H.E.B.:
H-E-B Home
Kroger:
3510 Altamesa Boulevard
Kroger - Find Stores - Store Locator

La Michoacana meat Market:
2755 Ellis Avenue
La Michoacana Meat Market - Home : Inicio

Metro Foods:
(Lake Worth)
Metro Foods

Sams:
Bryant Irvin at I-20, Ft. worth or
North of the Ridgemar Mall on 183
SamsClub.com - Sam
Super Walmart:
6300 Oakmont Blvd
7451 Mccart Ave
6770 Westworth Blvd

Walmart neighborhood store:
6756 W Vickery Blvd
Walmart.com
Walmart.com - Store Finder Results

roy pope grocery:
2300 Merrick Street, Fort Worth
Fort Worth Gourmet Grocery - Roy Pope's
Super Target:
5700 Overton Ridge Boulevard
301 Carroll Street (North of Ridgemar Mall off of 183)
Target : Store Locator : Store Details

Tom Thumb:
4700 Bryant Irvin or 3000 South Hulen Street
Tom Thumb - store locator

Whole Foods: $$$$ Coming soon to Fort Worth

World Market:
4701 West Fwy # 400,
Buy Food Online | Food and Drinks | World Market

Sack 'n Save Warehouse Food Stores (Minyards)
3451 Alta Mesa
Minyard Food Stores - Minyard Home

Sprouts:
http://www.sprouts.com/

Shwan's: Online Grocery and Food Service delivery
Online Grocery Store & Food Delivery Service

Farmers Market:
Dallas Fort Worth Farmers Market & Farm Products
Farmers Markets in North Texas | NBC Dallas-Fort Worth
https://www.grapevinetexasusa.com/Th...2/Default.aspx (saturday's and Thursday's)
Contact Us « Homestead Farms
Welcome To The Dallas Farmers Market (Dallas)
Traders Village Grand Prairie / A Texas-Size Marketplace (Grand Prairie) Flea market and Farmers Market

Oriental Markets:
Places for Oriental grocery stores near Fort Worth, TX/ Haltom City

Nguyen Loi Oriental Supermarket
TNL SuperFood Store & Nguyen Loi Oriental Market - 5302 E Belknap St # C, Haltom City - (817) 831-4778
American Asian Grocery
4311D Broadway Ave, Haltom City - (817) 222-3107
HAMRO
111 E Seminary D, Fort Worth - (817) 298-7052

Italian: (dallas)
Jimmy's Food Store (Italian)
4901 Bryan Street Dallas, TX 75206-7613 (214) 823-6180
Jimmy's Food Store- Dallas, Texas

Eatzi's: (Dallas)
eatZi's Market & Bakery - Oak Lawn lovers lane
In the heart of Oak Lawn
and just minutes from Downtown Dallas,
our original Oak Lawn market is the one that started it all!

3403 Oak Lawn Ave. • Dallas, TX 75219
Market: 214.526.1515 Fax: 214.526.1540
Hours: 7 am - 10 pm
eatZi's Market & Bakery ? Chef-Crafted European Food for the Taking

(Note
Gourmet, German, Caribbean, Oriental, Italian or other specialty food markets (steak or fishmongers) can be found within areas of the metro as well.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:20 PM

690 posts, read 1,728,588 times
Fort Worth Bakeries:

Fort Worth bakery magazine links:
Dallas / Fort Worth Bakeries | Urbanspoon
Fort Worth Hole In The Wall: Esperanza's Bakery

Blue Bonnet
4705 Camp Bowie Blvd
3522 Blue Bonnet Circle, Fort Worth - (817) 921-6777
Blue Bonnet Bakery | Ft. Worth, Texas

Bavarian Bakery & Cafe
3000 Southeast Loop 820, Fort Worth - (817) 551-1150
www.bavarianbakeryandcafe.com

Corner Bakery Cafe
615 Main Street, Fort Worth - (817) 870-4991
Corner Bakery Cafe

Esperanza's on Main Street
2122 North Main Street, Fort Worth - (817) 626-5770

Greenwood's German European
3522 Blue Bonnet Circle, Fort Worth - (817) 921-6777
Main Page @ greenwoodsgerman.com

La Madelline:
6140 Camp Bowie Blvd.
Fort Worth TX, 76116
817-654-0471
Sun. - Thu. 6:30 AM - 10:00 PM, Fri. - Sat. 6:30 AM - 11:00 PM
La Madeleine

Marquez Bakery and Tortilla Factory (in Arlington, TX. on Division)
1730 East Division Street
Arlington, TX 76011-6237
(817) 265-8858

Mckinleys-Fine-Bakery-and-Cafe
1612 S University Dr
Fort Worth, TX 76107
Mckinley's Fine Bakery and Cafe - TCU area - Fort Worth | Urbanspoon

Panera Bread:
University Drive (#831)
1700 South University Drive
Fort Worth, TX 76107
(817) 870-1959 - Phone
Panera Bread › Find a Bakery-Cafe

Swiss Pastry
Swiss Pastry Shop

Old 04-18-2011, 09:44 PM

425 posts, read 995,276 times
I pretty much do all my food shopping at Walmart, except for special occasion dining, when I will chose Central Market or Whole Foods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth