Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 04:34 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,562,903 times

Advertisements

I don't think Bedford's city services are that shabby
Bedford did not have the land mass or location that Grapevine has--you can't compare the two cities apple to apple--they aren't equals--you just have to ask what are they doing with what they have

WE still have our own Animal Control--Southlake contracts theirs out to Hurst
We have good police and fire protection
I have had occassion to deal with people in city services before and found them to be very helpful
Our new library is best around and they will give card to anyone--not just Bedford residents
Our old one was not bad--Colleyville did not have a city library until about three years ago--

Bedford Public Library - Bedford, Texas
this is on par with Grapevine's or NRHills and better than Southlake's from what I could tell

there is new business going in to help take tax burden off homeowners--
it has a good hospital and has had for decades

part of the problem with Bedford is that people like it and many people are still in their original homes 20 yrs later--
there are some great neighborhoods and you can get almost anywhere w/o having to use the freeway
The one factor back in the 80s that would have improved the quality of life a good deal was to have restricted the growth of apts--
but when most of them were built they were supposed to be adult-only---no family/children occupants
and then the courts said that was discrimination to restrict rentals to adults only (as long the occupant number was within zoning rules)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 07:30 PM

11,819 posts, read 26,698,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I don't think Bedford's city services are that shabby
Bedford did not have the land mass or location that Grapevine has--you can't compare the two cities apple to apple--they aren't equals--you just have to ask what are they doing with what they have
Yabbut... when you're comparing places to live, or to buy a house, you have to compare them evenly. In Bedford, your house will cost less, but your property taxes will be higher. In Grapevine, your house will cost more, but the taxes will be significantly less. It just depends whether you want to pay more taxes, or pay more for your house.

Quote:
Our new library is best around and they will give card to anyone--not just Bedford residents
I will have to go check it out. I actually work in Bedford.

Quote:
there is new business going in to help take tax burden off homeowners--it has a good hospital and has had for decades
Harris HEB and Baylor Grapevine are both good. HEB is well known for its stroke program. It's difficult for large businesses to move in simply due to the lack of available development land, too.

Quote:
The one factor back in the 80s that would have improved the quality of life a good deal was to have restricted the growth of apts-- but when most of them were built they were supposed to be adult-only---no family/children occupants and then the courts said that was discrimination to restrict rentals to adults only (as long the occupant number was within zoning rules)
AGREE! That is one of the big reasons we didn't buy in Bedford. Almost every house we looked at backed up to, or was right down the street from apartments. LOTS of the complexes in Bedford accept Section 8 vouchers, which means there are lots of kids, and peopel who could not otherwise afford to live there, so the apartments will be noisier and more prone to crime.

Old 04-23-2011, 02:20 PM

actually the section 8 apts are what used to be the Sotograde apts off Pipeline Rd--but think that complex has changed its name at some point
I don' think other apts in Bedford accept section 8 rentals because that would mean zoning by the city council--
in all the time I lived in Bedford the Sotogrande apts are the only ones I can remember getting city council approval for section 8 zoning ok

and while there are apt complexes--most of the complexes themselves are along Harwood or Forest Ridge which have mainly commercial properties in the area
the ones that are by Bedford Meadows school would be in closer proximity to homes but your comment makes it sound like the majorty of homes in Bedford are really close to apt complexes and I don't think tha is the case
if you were show homes that were too close to apts for you--then that was just the luck of the draw so to speak--your price range/houses for sale/your realtor's suggestions--
I don't know what factors were in play--but there are plenty of homes in Bedford not under the spell of apts

Old 04-23-2011, 08:22 PM

10 posts, read 22,411 times
Thanks for all the great responses everyone! Rest assured we wont buy anything until a job is locked and we've done serious research and looking. We have a lot of family in Arlington and can stay there while house hunting.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:37 PM

The headline about AA in Bedford almost seems designed to scare people--in that it says the total of blacks has risen by 90% in ten years--and yet the total is under 4K in city of fewer than 46K--making that increase pretty negligible overall--

the important stat in that story is not the number of blacks but the commute time--22 min on avg--
probably one of the best in Tarrant county

run a comparison on the Keller and Bedford communities--by clicking on Keller on the map given--
with Keller--the rise in minorities says "Fast growing Keller draws people from all over"--making you read the story to see that the growth of minorities percentage wise has been greater in Keller over the same period of time than in Bedford--although the total numbers are less..

I think it just plays into general negative image that some people seem to have for Bedford--which is more often false than supported by facts

Old 04-25-2011, 03:33 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,524,687 times
Quote:
The headline about AA in Bedford almost seems designed to scare people--in that it says the total of blacks has risen by 90% in ten years--and yet the total is under 4K in city of fewer than 46K--making that increase pretty negligible overall--

the important stat in that story is not the number of blacks but the commute time--22 min on avg--
probably one of the best in Tarrant county

run a comparison on the Keller and Bedford communities--by clicking on Keller on the map given--
with Keller--the rise in minorities says "Fast growing Keller draws people from all over"--making you read the story to see that the growth of minorities percentage wise has been greater in Keller over the same period of time than in Bedford--although the total numbers are less..

I think it just plays into general negative image that some people seem to have for Bedford--which is more often false than supported by facts
The commute is hard to beat. When I lived on the Hurst/Bedford border, it rarely took me more than 25 minutes to get to work at the Stemmons Cooridor in Dallas. It took even less time to get to school at TWU in Fort Worth. (Of course, it helped that I lived right off of 183!)

I agree that the title is a little misleading. I hesitated when I saw it knowing full well that Bedford isn't exactly what I think of as a diverse city at 80%-plus Anglo. I think it's a positive article though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth