U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 01:06 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,524,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post
That's the biggest bunch of hogwash I've ever heard. If East Dallas is the worst part of town, then we truly have nothing to worry about.

I live in East Dallas by White Rock lake. So does the CEO of Neiman Marcus and members of Dallas' wealthiest families. Its far from a dangerous area -- and I grew up in Highland Park, the ritziest neighborhood in Dallas by a country mile. There were 7 reported crimes in my reporting area last year. Seven.

Generally speaking, for Dallas purposes, south of I-30 is considered undesirable. There are certainly exceptions to this rule. The most dangerous part of Dallas, however, is off of I-35 and Walnut Hill in north Dallas. That's where all the strip clubs are and they seem to be a magnet for crime.

As far as the Fort Worth side goes, I'm not really sure.

Here are some pictures of "East Dallas." Witness the inhumanity and frightening urban decay for yourself:

White Rock Lake:

Lakewood Shopping Center and Theater:

Lakewood Shopping Center in the 1930’s:

Woodrow Wilson High School:

J.L. Long Middle School:

Street in Lakewood:

Swiss Avenue

Ross Avenue

Downtown Dallas:

Gorgeous pics by the way, and I agree with you. East Dallas is awesome.
Rate this post positively

Old 04-28-2011, 03:41 PM

52 posts, read 116,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesli713 View Post
Don't go to East Dallas!
Why? You don't want her to live in a nice part of town?

Old 04-29-2011, 03:27 PM

119 posts, read 198,162 times
I can't resist! There's a home tour going on this weekend for the ghetto that is East Dallas.

Home calendar: Dallas-Fort Worth tours offer a glimpse into historic homes | Dallas-Fort Worth Home and Gardening - Lifestyles News for Dallas, Texas - The Dallas Morning News

Old 04-29-2011, 03:50 PM

52 posts, read 116,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunebloc View Post
Oh the horror!

Old 05-12-2011, 11:23 AM

2 posts, read 32,445 times
I will be looking for an apt until I find a house I would like to buy. I have to sell my house & property first. I would probably stay in an extended stay hotel briefly until I find an apt close to where my new job will be.

I saw the Keeler area seems to have a bunch of houses for sale very reasonable & it seems to be west of Fort Worth. I was trying to find out why so many houses on the market for so cheap in the same area, but didn't seem to find any reason on the internet (like a power station being built close by, pollution etc)

Old 05-12-2011, 06:32 PM

690 posts, read 1,576,443 times
The only reason I can think of is the Tollway
that will be built in Southwest Fort Worth.
I found a link to it.
NTTA: Projects

As for your move, the common question would be is: Where
your place of employment is located. The commute is extremely important
due to traffic, weather, and other unforeseen setbacks such as construction.
Convenient places to reside within a secure residence can be found
throughout many parts of the metro.

Old 05-13-2011, 04:14 PM

621 posts, read 1,211,519 times
It's really going to depend on what you want to spend! Those are nice pictures, but all those areas are not cheap at all!

Old 05-17-2011, 08:14 PM

341 posts, read 915,140 times
Public schools and school districts are rated by three levels - exemplary, recognized, and academically acceptable. A school district may be rated recognized overall, and have many exemplary schools. Each county has several public school districts aka independent school districts aka isd. All ISDs have web sites to review.

I believe people with children should live fairly close to where they work and in the best school district within that commute. That's how I determine where to live - work location and school districts.

Housing here is comparatively inexpensive to other states, but I've been told our property rates are comparatively expensive. Housing prices are generally stable, and moreso since the housing recession. That may be the reason you find prices low.

Good luck.

Old 07-24-2011, 12:04 AM

1 posts, read 4,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKayD View Post
Hi,

I'm looking at a move to the Dallas Ft. Worth area but I do not know the city-scape well. what areas are considered higher crime areas, or areas I would not want to rent in?

I'm a single Mom of 3 girls ages 14, 12 & 5.

I'm originally from CA, but have been in OK for awhile. As I found when I moved to Tulsa blindly, the North end was NOT a safe place - gang activity, drive-bys, heavy Meth use/drug houses.

I'm looking to keep from getting into that same situation again.

Thank you ahead of time for all the info.
Our real estate agent gave us a list of crime rates in the DFW Metroplex! My hubby works in Irving, close to the airport! Nice area...High HOA and not much property. In the end, we ended up in Mansfield, which is South in the Metroplex. I love it very much. Great Families and very sports and kid oriented. South Metroplex worked Great for us because of the volume of people in the North Metroplex, and you get more bang for your buck down here! Hubbys drive is 20 min now instead of 2 hrs of sheer traffic. There are many many nice cities around the Metroplex.... Do your homework, look at the school districts too! Ours is exemplary School District! I love Fort Worth... but its too big for me... so its a nice place to visit! Personally, Im not comfortable with the Crime Rates in the Larger cities such as Dallas, FW and esp Arlington. I found some of the small cities on the outskirts to be particularly low. As well, my neighbor, who is a police officer, did his homework too before moving his kids here from Calli... and he ended up in Mansfield here as well! Like many others have said... Find your place of employment first...the traffic can be horrendous...and the kids do need you!!! Rent in a nice suburb get a feel for it and the traffic b4 you commit! OR ...hang in a hotel for a few days b4 you move, try the drive, look around , and talk to people!
Good Luck!!! We moved here from Canada... its tough to find the perfect place when you dont know the area, and everyone seems to think their location is the best! Take your time! School District ratings usually tell the tale!!!

Old 07-24-2011, 11:37 PM

16 posts, read 50,993 times
I live in the Park Bend Subdivision off of North Beach and I feel perfectly safe here, and have done sine we moved here in 2008. I have taken my dogs out for walks at 2am and never felt unsafe. My dogs would lick you to death before they bit you lol. The middle school for here is Hillwood, and the high school Fossil Ridge, and we have been very happy with both schools/teachers. We are so convenient to all kinds of shopping as well. Apart from the damn heat...I love it here. But we will go back to the panhandle of Florida as soon as our youngest is finished with high school!!! We miss the beaches )

When we moved here it was for a job promotion for my husband and we lived in corporate housing for a couple of months until we found somewhere to buy. It gave us a good opportunity to scope out different areas and commute times. Anyway, sorry for rambling, but I wish you luck in finding your special place here )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth