U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 01:00 AM

1 posts, read 8,705 times

Advertisements

I am also moving to the Dallas Area. I was going to move to Arlington, but according to the crime report there is a lot of crime there. I was told to go to www.crimereport.com Someone stated that North Dallas was okay and according to the crime report there is not as much crime in certain areas in North Dallas and I was wondering if the crime report was really accurately. I live in Westland , MI the suburbs of Detroit and it is really nice here and not much crime at least in the neighborhood where I live. My husband and I also have have 3 son's 13, 11, and 9 and would like to find a nice area to raise our sons. any suggestions I truly would appreciate it.
Rate this post positively

Old 08-15-2011, 10:26 PM

9 posts, read 41,287 times
Default Confused...

I've been scouring the forums and reading about the Dallas metro and everything people have to say about it. The general rule of thumb seems to be stay north of the city, up around McKinney, etc. But I have to say, there seems to be crime everywhere!!!

It reminds me a lot of Orlando where one town rolls right into another (because everything is flat) and "communities" are really just PUD's off a major road. I'm referring to the sprawl areas around Dallas, not the city itself where I think you'll find more of the traditional grid-layout for streets and lack of PUD's (planned-urban developments).

I keep reading "crime really isn't an issue" but according to the crime-mapping sites, it's everywhere. Sure, there's like one murder in the McKinney area (for example) but what's up with the burglaries and assaults? Are hoods driving 30+ minutes out of their way just to vandalize the new "rich" communities? It doesn't make sense to me. Where are these criminals coming from given the distance between McKinney and the surrounding newer communities and the communities down south where crime is rampant? Just a bunch of bad eggs everywhere?

Maybe I'm just too accustomed to the relative safety of the Philadelphia 'burbs. I can count on one hand the number of sex offenders in a 20 mile radius of my house. What I would call "serious" crime is literally non-existent - there are never home break-ins here - the most serious event is a cell phone stolen from an unlocked car by bored teenagers in the neighborhood. Aside from the center-city Philadelphia crime problems, there are only 3 towns/areas you'd want to avoid in the 30 mile radius of Philly and they're all so far away that you never get the feeling of "I have to be careful how far I travel in any given direction because I'd cross over into a bad neighborhood".

Enough about Philly, I only bring this up because I certainly don't want to relocate to any metro area where that has to be a concern, ie. I may live in a "good" area but travel 15 minutes in 3 of 4 directions and suddenly you're smack in the middle of a neighborhood where 5 homes have been broken into in the past 6 months. That seems to be the case with every city/town in the Dallas area - and the Washington, DC area, too for that matter.

*SIGH*

Old 08-16-2011, 12:41 AM

I stitched-together a crime map of the DFW metro area from Neighborhood Scout. The darker the shade of blue, the less crime. See attachment.

As you can see, the fundamental problem is even if you live in a dark blue area, you're never more than 10-15 miles away from a really bad area. Thus, the crime is all over the place.

Really depressing.
Attached Thumbnails
Dallas/Ft. Worth area crime statistics "bad areas of town"?-dallascrimemap.gif  

Old 08-16-2011, 03:24 AM

1,257 posts, read 2,303,863 times
Hmm. I'm a little curious as to how they came up with their statistics. The majority of Colleyville seems to have more crime than several parts of Arlington according to this map. Grapevine looks to have high crime as well. This sticks out because Colleyville is one of the more affluent, lower crime areas in DFW and Arlington is an older, blue collar town with lots of low income housing and also known for gang activity in some parts. I've always thought Grapevine was pretty low crime, too.

Burglaries in Texas are higher than the national average, that much is true. I guess my reasoning on that is because compared to the area where you are coming from in the northeast, Texas has a much higher percentage of people who don't obtain higher education and make much less money in the long run. We are always one of the highest states of people living below the poverty level. Poverty brings a lot of petty crime like theft.

Even still, a lot of the areas that are perceived to be "high crime" on your map I've never thought that way about. Some of those areas I've lived in and I've never experienced crime or known a neighbor to be a victim either. As long as you are smart and lock your doors and so on, you typically don't worry about things like that.

I wasn't aware that the area was high in assaults. And as far as the areas being spread out, it is what it is. This entire metroplex grew out in different areas at different times. Some older areas fall in value and attract HUD and lower income-higher crime residents, other areas rise in value, gentrify, or are just nice and new still to begin with. But you have to think that if you are in a dark blue or low crime area, that area is dark blue for a reason. Just because crime might be happening 5-10 miles away doesn't mean it's happening in your neighborhood.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:11 AM

I'm curious, too. After I posted the map from Neighborhood Scout, I poured over the FBI rankings of the best/worst cities for crime and Plano came out near the top for safety, yet the map shows all shades of blue for the Plano area.

I noticed a common thread here on the forums over the past decade or so - lots of people are confused by the contradictory statistics and rankings of safe/unsafe cities. One site says a city is among the safest, another rates it near the bottom. You'd think all the sites (AOL, Money Magazine, etc) would base their lists and opinions on the same set of data - the FBI, with a fall-back on local police reports if the FBI data is stale.

Still, I can't come up with a rational explanation for the delta between all the rankings - it's very frustrating to a lot of us I think.

Neighborhood Scout explains what data they use and how their shades of blue are calculated (somewhat):
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

I also noticed that the shades of blue are not consistent across cities/towns/states. A medium blue in my town here in PA has a crime value of 92 (100 is safest) yet the same color blue in Plano is 49. Same holds true for neighboring cities. The same color blue is a 40 in Plano and 26 in McKinney. It's misleading because if you simply go by color alone, you'd assume the darkest blue is the synonymous with safety no matter what metro area you're looking at but it's not the case.

Last edited by Yac; 11-08-2011 at 07:40 AM..

Old 10-21-2015, 10:39 PM

46 posts, read 26,047 times
Default Jesus we get the point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post
That's the biggest bunch of hogwash I've ever heard. If East Dallas is the worst part of town, then we truly have nothing to worry about.

I live in East Dallas by White Rock lake. So does the CEO of Neiman Marcus and members of Dallas' wealthiest families. Its far from a dangerous area -- and I grew up in Highland Park, the ritziest neighborhood in Dallas by a country mile. There were 7 reported crimes in my reporting area last year. Seven.

Generally speaking, for Dallas purposes, south of I-30 is considered undesirable. There are certainly exceptions to this rule. The most dangerous part of Dallas, however, is off of I-35 and Walnut Hill in north Dallas. That's where all the strip clubs are and they seem to be a magnet for crime.

As far as the Fort Worth side goes, I'm not really sure.

Here are some pictures of "East Dallas." Witness the inhumanity and frightening urban decay for yourself:

White Rock Lake:

Lakewood Shopping Center and Theater:

Lakewood Shopping Center in the 1930’s:

Woodrow Wilson High School:

J.L. Long Middle School:

Street in Lakewood:

Swiss Avenue

Ross Avenue

Downtown Dallas:

Good lord we get it, East Dallas is alright! No need to post 8 million photos haha

Old 10-21-2015, 11:29 PM

137 posts, read 118,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOAPRESIDENT View Post
And East Dallas is one of the nicest areas of town -- that's why it is about twice as expensive as areas north of 635. It includes Knox-Henderson, one of the most trendy restaurant and bar areas in the state. It includes the M-Streets, Lakewood, Greenland Hills, Forest Hills, White Rock Lake, The Dallas Arboretum, exemplary public schools and excellent home appreciation. As a whole, Dallas' crime rate is the same as it was in the early 1960s. North and East Dallas are remarkably safe.
Lol, East Dallas is a half-gentrified barrio. Hamiltonpl posted pics of only the gentrified areas (like surrounding White Rock Lake or along Swiss Avenue). But, he selectively omitted all the gang-ridden hoods. Both exist there (side-by-side) - but keep in mind that even if you live in a gentrified area, you can still be easily targeted (mostly property theft) by hoodlums from the barrios within walking distance. Which you will realize happens quite frequently if you get on sites like Nextdoor...

Hmm, and Woodrow Wilson High, lol? Well, students there are often getting high (on weed) in adjacent Randall Park, with an annual shooting or so too...
Quote:
A suspect in the shooting of a Woodrow Wilson High School student turned himself in to police Wednesday, authorities said. Emilio Tovar, 18, is suspected of shooting the 16-year-old East Dallas student in the hip and ankle Tuesday afternoon. He was booked on a charge of aggravated assault and is being held on $50,000 bail. The shooting took place at Randall Park, across the street from the school, on South Glasgow Drive. Police said the victim got into an argument with an unidentified female and that argument led to the shooting.
I mean, I wouldn't be trembling in my shoes just to walk through there, and it's probably not the most dangerous part of Dallas...but there are definitely still large pockets of moral and urban decay there. So, let's just not pretend otherwise. There really are some nice amenities in the area as hamiltonpl showed (with more development to come), but that's just not ALL there is either!

That said, real estate is full of trade-offs and one of the upsides of living near the hood...is lower rent. A lot of property theft is opportunistic, and can also be avoided if you remain vigilant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth