Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 12:24 PM

2 posts, read 33,387 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm looking at a move to the Dallas Ft. Worth area but I do not know the city-scape well. what areas are considered higher crime areas, or areas I would not want to rent in?

I'm a single Mom of 3 girls ages 14, 12 & 5.

I'm originally from CA, but have been in OK for awhile. As I found when I moved to Tulsa blindly, the North end was NOT a safe place - gang activity, drive-bys, heavy Meth use/drug houses.

I'm looking to keep from getting into that same situation again.

Thank you ahead of time for all the info.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:25 PM

6 posts, read 35,881 times
Don't go to East Dallas!
Stay in the suburbs, it's safer & cheaper! There's everything you need-honestly-in the suburbs here. I live in north Dallas, near a city called Plano (very family oriented-can be pricey) & Addison (fun, clean, great bars/restaurants) & Richardson (not so expensive, family oriented area), (which are all great cities) and never even lock my car doors. I've never seen any crime here in the past 15 years and love it. It's laid-back, conservative, we focus on children's educations and you'll love it! Go north--ourside of the 635 highway. Inside is more expensive.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:35 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Suggest you Google up a crime map and check specific areas
your price point is what is important---and your commute
some areas are a good bit more expensive than others--
If you are coming here looking for job don't rent apt until you know where you are working

Old 04-28-2011, 09:15 AM

2 posts, read 56,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKayD View Post
Hi,

I'm looking at a move to the Dallas Ft. Worth area but I do not know the city-scape well. what areas are considered higher crime areas, or areas I would not want to rent in?

I'm originally from CA, but have been in OK for awhile. As I found when I moved to Tulsa blindly, the North end was NOT a safe place - gang activity, drive-bys, heavy Meth use/drug houses.

I live in Arlington Texas and feel safe. Another suggestion is the Grapevine Texas area near Dallas. If you would like more info you can feel free to email me at [EMAIL="1977mercury@msn.com"]1977mercury@msn.com[/EMAIL].

Wishing you the best.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:18 AM

2 posts, read 56,872 times
Default Looking To Relocate To DFW Area

Hi SKayD

I live in Arlington Texas and feel safe. Another suggestion is the Grapevine

Texas area near Dallas. If you would like more info you can feel free to

email me at [EMAIL="1977mercury@msn.com"]1977mercury@msn.com"]1977mercury@msn.com"]1977mercury@msn.com[/EMAIL]

Wishing you the best.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:25 AM

1,518 posts, read 5,268,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesli713 View Post
Don't go to East Dallas!
Stay in the suburbs, it's safer & cheaper! There's everything you need-honestly-in the suburbs here. I live in north Dallas, near a city called Plano (very family oriented-can be pricey) & Addison (fun, clean, great bars/restaurants) & Richardson (not so expensive, family oriented area), (which are all great cities) and never even lock my car doors. I've never seen any crime here in the past 15 years and love it. It's laid-back, conservative, we focus on children's educations and you'll love it! Go north--ourside of the 635 highway. Inside is more expensive.
That's the biggest bunch of hogwash I've ever heard. If East Dallas is the worst part of town, then we truly have nothing to worry about.

I live in East Dallas by White Rock lake. So does the CEO of Neiman Marcus and members of Dallas' wealthiest families. Its far from a dangerous area -- and I grew up in Highland Park, the ritziest neighborhood in Dallas by a country mile. There were 7 reported crimes in my reporting area last year. Seven.

Generally speaking, for Dallas purposes, south of I-30 is considered undesirable. There are certainly exceptions to this rule. The most dangerous part of Dallas, however, is off of I-35 and Walnut Hill in north Dallas. That's where all the strip clubs are and they seem to be a magnet for crime.

As far as the Fort Worth side goes, I'm not really sure.

Here are some pictures of "East Dallas." Witness the inhumanity and frightening urban decay for yourself:

White Rock Lake:

Lakewood Shopping Center and Theater:

Lakewood Shopping Center in the 1930’s:

Woodrow Wilson High School:

J.L. Long Middle School:

Street in Lakewood:

Swiss Avenue

Ross Avenue

Downtown Dallas:

Last edited by hamiltonpl; 04-28-2011 at 11:07 AM..

Old 04-28-2011, 11:03 AM

1,518 posts, read 5,268,294 times
You have to consider where your job is first, then get a rental. The DFW metro area is the size of the State of New Hampshire. There are many safe areas in the suburbs and many areas that are just as scary as the worst part of inner city Dallas. You just can't paint with that broad of brush.

There is no place where you would be completely safe. Despite some comments above, I believe you should always lock your door to your car and your house. We always did that growing up -- and the cheapest house in my neighborhood was $800,000 -- not exactly a rough area.

For a one bedroom apartment in Dallas, I would expect to pay $900+ per month for a nice, clean safe neighborhood. Below a certain price point, it attracts ner-de-wells.

Old 04-28-2011, 11:23 AM

690 posts, read 1,728,588 times
Similar to others wanting to move to a safe location in the metro.
An important item would be to know where you will be working.
Although people favor the suburbs, commute times can be lengthy and undesirable.
What is your budget for housing. Are you looking for a house or apartment.
That is just for starters.
In addition to this forum, the OP may consider to contact a realtor or apartment locator which can
assist with additional neighborhood data, crime reports, educational links, or other amenities the the OP needs and wants.

Obviously "Don't move to East Dallas" seemed to be a blanket statement.
There are locations throughout both Fort Worth and Dallas that may make a person feel unsafe.
This list of pros and cons can be short or extensive depending on who you speak to.

Crime can happen in any neighborhood or community.
For the most part, East Dallas is a pleasant location with White Rock lake, Dallas Botanical Garden,
the "M" Streets, and historical areas.
I believe the OP just wants to stay away from undesirable locations which seem to frequently
encounter higher rates of criminal offenses.

Dallas Crime spotter:
Dallas, TX Crime Map - Showing Crimes in Dallas - Crime Statistics, Alerts and Reports - Crime Stops Here
Fort worth crime map:
Crime Information | Fort Worth, Texas, Police Department

Good Luck

Old 04-28-2011, 12:44 PM

419 posts, read 997,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesli713 View Post
Don't go to East Dallas!
Huh? It is true that south of 635 is more expensive. But it's not more expensive because it is less desirable. That flies in the face of supply-demand, capitalism and common sense.

And East Dallas is one of the nicest areas of town -- that's why it is about twice as expensive as areas north of 635. It includes Knox-Henderson, one of the most trendy restaurant and bar areas in the state. It includes the M-Streets, Lakewood, Greenland Hills, Forest Hills, White Rock Lake, The Dallas Arboretum, exemplary public schools and excellent home appreciation. As a whole, Dallas' crime rate is the same as it was in the early 1960s. North and East Dallas are remarkably safe.

But back to the OP. Look for a job first. DFW is massive. There are nice areas to stay in all areas of the metro and there are some areas to avoid. There are areas in the suburbs that are 1,000 times rougher than certain areas of central Dallas. If you get a job in the horror that is East Dallas but live in Keller, you'll be looking at a 2 hour commute. And those kids need their Mom around!

Right now your question is way too broad. It's like an immigrant asking, "I'm moving to the United States, can anyone tell me which state won't have crime?" Find a job first. DFW is bigger than several states -- combined.

Last edited by HOAPRESIDENT; 04-28-2011 at 01:31 PM..

Old 04-28-2011, 01:03 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,948,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKayD View Post
Hi,

I live in North Richland Hills (NE Tarrant County) and it's very safe. As for Tulsa, I have heard that North Tulsa is NOT a good place to live as far as crime. However, the rest of the city is very safe from what I've heard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth