U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2011, 06:14 PM

2 posts, read 3,260 times

Advertisements

Moving from Maryland to North TX and need insights on which city. I'll be flying out of DFW 3 or 4 times a month and working from home the rest.

Wife is a second grade school teacher, planning on taking a year or two off. Kids out of college and on their own.

Would like to stay in the 300K range.

Have driven in the DC traffic, so sort of used to gridlock, if you pick the wrong time of day. Looking for a good community feel. Thoughts?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 06:19 PM

621 posts, read 1,209,227 times
Look at Corinth, Denton, Roanoke!

Old 04-28-2011, 06:47 PM

32,628 posts, read 51,241,651 times
I think you should consider what the area you might buy in will actually LOOK like--
some areas like Roanoke are flat, pretty tree-less, prairie land turned into subdivisions
offers mixture of the original small town of Roanoak which is getting kind of rediscovered--some open land still used for ag purpose--some retail/commercial stips along busy road and tract home developments--and a stretch of freeway running through it--
it was pasture land before it was developed for residential--Byron Nelson the TX golf great owned a lot of it and used it for cattle ranching--area like this is considered "where the West begins"

Flower Mound on the other hand has some variation in terra firma--some areas hilly--some not--more and larger trees in subdivisions and around the open areas because this is not the same geo-zone that Roanoak is--this is part of the East TX rolling timber belt--but no pines--soil is not that sandy--
Flower Mound has probably higher end retail available or close by--larger infrastructure--subdivisons with variety in home prices--some over 1MM--because it was developed before Roanoak which used to be considered in the sticks
think it is closer to Grapevine Lake if you like the water

IF you check the towns' demographics on CD I think FM is likely to have higher education and income averages and higher home prices
Most (if not all) of Flower Mound is in Lewisville ISD -- one of the top districts in this part of the state--
parts of Roanoak are in Northwest ISD--some parts might be in different ISD-- Lewisville has history of better TAKs results--more NM scholars than Northwest--schools are always issue for home choice

depending on where you chose to live in each area you could be 30 min from DFW or 15

You could choose almost any other town--even inside FTW itself--is you are only traveling to DFW 3-4 times a month--
Almost any town will say that it has good sense of community and many of the people who live there and like it will probably say the same

Old 04-28-2011, 08:50 PM

427 posts, read 901,039 times
I like Grapevine, but not sure of the pricing of houses - it has a wonderful old town feel around Main Street, and it's very convenient to DFW.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:22 PM

1,379 posts, read 6,054,408 times
Its so hard to decipher with the choices because honestly, it really just depends on what lifestyle you choose to live. The best advice I can give you is make a list of the type of home and neighborhood you want to live in. Also check the Independent School Districts so that when your wife wants to go back to work, she will be local.

You can find everything from heavily treed cottage homes to prairie type ranch homes to customs around 300+.

My hubby does the same, he flies at once a weekish in and out of DFW and works out of a home office. We live about 40 mins from the airport. We used to live on 5' lot lines with about 7K sq ft of land and opted to spread our wings a bit and have a little bit of space on an acre. We don't have any heavily native trees, but we have sunsets like you would NOT believe!

I did about a year of research before we moved out here on this site (has a lot of good information) as well as a great realtor website and honestly, you really just have to spend time driving around and getting a good feel for what you want. What we found is that there is so much available for the price point and amenities that its hard to make a decision.

Another area that you might try looking into is Trophy Club. Some mid 80s-90s homes, but nice area and a decent drive to the airport. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:29 AM

6,955 posts, read 20,790,974 times
Grapevine or North Irving/Las Colinas. Las Colinas is a great place if you don't have to be concerned about kids in school. Some beautiful places to walk. I especially like the University Hills area. Here's a link just to give you a geo fix; not recommending this place. Drive thru the area and the beauty and great location to Dallas city and airport will impress you.

620 Sonora CT Irving TX - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #11505243 - Realtor.comĀ®

Old 04-29-2011, 10:59 AM

32,628 posts, read 51,241,651 times
the better schools in Irving ISD are in the Las Colinas area--and they are good schools--
you just have to be more selective about some areas/ISDs than others

Las Colinas is just too busy of an area for me--more traffic when you leave your neighborhood
but there are some lovely homes--has great professional quality golf couse at TPC if you love high level golf--

and about teaching jobs--
the damage this next budget will do to our state's educational system is incalculable--
we are going to be paying the price for years afterwards--
and I think the hiring problems for teachers looking for jobs will last for more than two years this particular budget is in force--
some districts are really going to be hurt
Lewisville has large district--good ratings--good stats for things like National Merit scholars--
it is very competitive district to work for in that many apply--few are chosen--
same can be said for most of the other districts in north Tarrant/Dallas/Collin area

Old 04-29-2011, 11:06 AM

3,044 posts, read 11,045,639 times
^ I too would look into Las Colinas area since you don't have kids. It puts you close to DFW, Downtown Dallas and Downtown Ft Worth.
It's a bit more "urban" per say as well.

Also old town Grapevine might be something that intrests you.

We too moved from the DC area and although traffic here is BAD...it's NOTHING like 495 or I95!
Commute was a big factor on where we choose to live. Hubby had 1+ hour in VA.(on a good day!!) Here it is 30min tops.

So if you think you will going into DFW at peak times and Don't want to sit in traffic I would seriously re-consider the areas like Highland Village. However if you want a nice lake neighborhood setting kinda away from it all it would be nice!

Old 04-29-2011, 08:05 PM

2 posts, read 3,260 times
Thanks for all the great info, going into DCA means not going peak. Since I don't have to fly out at a specific time, early or late can help avoid traffic. I had not heard/though of Las Colinas, will definitely look into it. Thanks again.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:27 PM

382 posts, read 546,113 times
MDtoDallas, what did you finally settle on? I'm in Dallas shopping around and making a similar assessment - could only do so much on the internet - there is nothing like driving the neighborhoods when house searching to get the feel of the neighborhoods, which is non-quantifiable. By my review, just for better commute, nicer neighborhoods and better schools, I am pretty much limited to Coppell, northern Carrollton, Plano and Richardson - they have best access to the major commercial zones from downtown Dallas to its northern suburbs. Anything beyond would be back to a DC commute. I was amazed at how "empty" the northern toll roads were, and LBJ was rather light too, during the day. I95, I495, I270, Dulles tollway are never so empty. To net it out, Coppell had great rated schools, but driving the community, it looks hit or miss on how folks keep their property up. Northern Carrollton, you have to be selective, but the NE part, north of PGB tollway, seems nice and is in Lewisville ISD. Plano is mostly all nice neighborhoods and good schools - probably less so south and east, but not so bad really. Richardson northern half and west of I75 is nicest (driving the neighborhoods, it seems nicer than much of older parts of Plano), east of I75 seems spotty when driving the community there, even though schools are still good there. The places I outlined here would be closest to Montgomery and Fairfax counties in feel for suburbia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth