U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2011, 12:51 AM

119 posts, read 312,293 times

Advertisements

What kind of bugs and critters can we expect in Flower Mound?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 09:27 AM

32,546 posts, read 51,084,504 times
just depends--fire ants in the yard/wasps/spiders (including brown recluse and black widow although rare)

ants in the house--if you have trees in the yard you can have large "tree" roaches who come in the house and are different from cockroaches--spiders--

get it sprayed before you move in--including inside all cabinets.closets--have them inspect the attic as well
put insecticide on the yard--watch how you water and repeat as necessary

some people who live close to open areas like parks--vacant land--might also have snakes (poison and non) mice/rats come on property

our cat killed a very large young jackrabbit after we moved into this house and laid it out on the back patio as a love-kill for our admiration--think he got it on the vacant lot on our street
we have grass snakes but nothing major--but still watchful when cleaning flower beds--our lot backs to part of city park and has vacant land beyound that which does have more 'critters' than city neighborhoods usually do

Old 05-20-2011, 09:38 AM

94 posts, read 275,228 times
agree with loves2read - although I did see a coyote running over the golf course in Tour 18 about a week ago while walking my dogs in the early AM

Old 05-20-2011, 06:12 PM

32,546 posts, read 51,084,504 times
Yeah--we have coyotes in our part of Hurst from time to time (oyotes are big for stealing small pets like cats that are out at night when they roam)
and my husband has seen a bobcat couple of times while playing golf at the course at DFW

Old 05-20-2011, 09:47 PM

119 posts, read 312,293 times
Doesnt sound too bad.
We have fire ants here, 'regular' ants, ghost ants, huge flying B-52 roaches,
wasps, yellow jackets, lizards, house spiders, humongous 3-4" cane spiders,
and gnats, just to name a few.

Being from a farm, coyotes are normal for us. They have never bothered us.
Just their odd howling at night. Otherwise I felt fine. Just make some noise and off they'd run.

I think they wanted our dog as a meal, so at sundown, Id put him in the house.

I never want to live rural again!

Old 05-21-2011, 10:30 AM

77,813 posts, read 91,495,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustDeb View Post
What kind of bugs and critters can we expect in Flower Mound?
We lived, for years in Lewisville just about a block from the FM border: the worst we had: fire ants, like mentioned and they can really stink but it doesn't last long: the other household pest: roaches, again, if you stray regularly or use a pest control company like many people do, you won't have any problems. We did see a scorpian one time and occassionally we would see skunks. It was anything like living here in NWA wooded area.

Nita

Old 05-21-2011, 10:31 AM

77,813 posts, read 91,495,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustDeb View Post
Doesnt sound too bad.
We have fire ants here, 'regular' ants, ghost ants, huge flying B-52 roaches,
wasps, yellow jackets, lizards, house spiders, humongous 3-4" cane spiders,
and gnats, just to name a few.

Being from a farm, coyotes are normal for us. They have never bothered us.
Just their odd howling at night. Otherwise I felt fine. Just make some noise and off they'd run.

I think they wanted our dog as a meal, so at sundown, Id put him in the house.

I never want to live rural again!
you will see lizards as well as wasps, yellow jackets etc as well.

Nita

Old 05-21-2011, 11:30 AM

302 posts, read 507,544 times
Outside: fire ants (ouch) and wasps (maybe yellow jackets). Inside: regular ants and an occasional spider. Ants really are my pest issue but they are relentless little boogers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth