U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2011, 11:47 PM

94 posts, read 275,846 times

Advertisements

Ok.... I am new to the back yard pool thing, but that said, I have never heard of having a rat or an iguana in the pool. Over the last 4 days, I have had to take my 2 6 month old German Shepherd puppies out to do their thing in the middle of the night..... they tend to bark when they go out so I usually go out with them. This past Tuesday morning @ about 3:30am, I was out on my patio and notice something swimming back and forth along the waterfall in out pool - the waterfall back to a heavily landscaped bed. The swimmer was a rat.... not a mouse, a rat... a big rat.... one that looked like a squirrel without a tail. I fished it out of the water before my dogs could see it and winged it, Lacrosse-stick style, on to the golf course.... The next morning, around the same time, I noticed one of my pups looking down into the water at a fairly large iguana at the bottom of the pool... repeated the pool extraction from the night before.... have not told my wife as she would have a pretty adverse reaction to the news...

My question is... is this an unusual occurrence or is this something one should expect here in North Texas?

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 01:15 AM

1,379 posts, read 6,053,560 times
Well...apparently my neighbor just found a dead copperhead in their pool. Its not the first time I have heard about snakes ending up in pools. One of my other neighbors also had a tarantula type (re - HUGE and hairy) spider in theirs.

Old 05-28-2011, 09:57 AM

6,955 posts, read 20,779,667 times
That might be have been a nutria, not a rat ....

Old 05-28-2011, 10:52 AM

1,064 posts, read 3,386,025 times
We have had tarantulas, copperheads, water moccasins, mice, frogs, and 6" centipedes in our pools over the course of my life. I'm not surprised by anything that gets in a pool.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:51 AM

3,043 posts, read 11,042,964 times
if a rat (or mouse) eats rat poision they will go on search for water, the poision makes them very dehydrated. Yes, RATs can swim, climb trees etc... they will get into your attic.
In Houston in my college years I managed a community pool... we found EVERYTHING (usually dead) in the skimmers every morning. Frogs were the most common. (baby aligator was the strangest!!)

Just be glad you aren't in Florida! Aligators in the pool...very common!

Old 05-28-2011, 01:22 PM

94 posts, read 275,846 times
wowwww!!! definitely not going to tell my wife about the snakes.... she will freak out

Thanks to all for sharing

Old 05-28-2011, 01:45 PM

6,955 posts, read 20,779,667 times
Oh, I meant to add this link about Nutria. I've seen many in TJ Park in Las Colinas....

Nutria (Myocastor coypus)

Old 05-28-2011, 02:32 PM

16,791 posts, read 43,932,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROckjaw View Post
Ok.... I am new to the back yard pool thing, but that said, I have never heard of having a rat or an iguana in the pool. Over the last 4 days, I have had to take my 2 6 month old German Shepherd puppies out to do their thing in the middle of the night..... they tend to bark when they go out so I usually go out with them. This past Tuesday morning @ about 3:30am, I was out on my patio and notice something swimming back and forth along the waterfall in out pool - the waterfall back to a heavily landscaped bed. The swimmer was a rat.... not a mouse, a rat... a big rat.... one that looked like a squirrel without a tail. I fished it out of the water before my dogs could see it and winged it, Lacrosse-stick style, on to the golf course.... The next morning, around the same time, I noticed one of my pups looking down into the water at a fairly large iguana at the bottom of the pool... repeated the pool extraction from the night before.... have not told my wife as she would have a pretty adverse reaction to the news...

My question is... is this an unusual occurrence or is this something one should expect here in North Texas?

Thanks
The iquana must have been an escaped pet, as they are not native to Texas. They are native to Central and South America and the Caribbean. They do like to swim in fresh water, Last year we spent a week at a resort in PR, which had lots of iquana's around the grounds. We saw one come down from a palm tree to the swimming pool we were in, swim across the pool and back out the other side.

There are rats all over Texas and one could have easily fallen in while trying to get a drink.

Old 05-28-2011, 03:47 PM

32,618 posts, read 51,219,092 times
if your lot backs to golf course then I think you can expect to have other intrusions into your pool--
what would be really strange in light of DFW's local ecology would be to have NO intrusions

Old 05-29-2011, 12:58 AM

16 posts, read 50,944 times
I have found rats, possums and baby birds in our pool. Luckily I rescued them all before they drowned. I have never found, or even seen a snake since moving to TX. I used to rescue them all the time in FL even though we had a pool cage. I miss snakes! Give me a snake over a spider any day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth