Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 05:51 PM

9 posts, read 52,917 times

Advertisements

My family and I will be relocating to Decatur in 6 months from Corpus Christi. I am interested to know about the hospital and doctors in Decatur. What grocery stores are close? What clothing shop chains are there? Places to eat out? Where do residents go for things they can not find in Decatur - Fort Worth or Weatherford? When I searched online for houses I found more mobile homes or manufactured homes for sale then single family houses in the price range of $115,000 - 125,000. Is that an accurate picture of the real estate market in Decatur?
Thanks in advance for any information shared about life in Decatur.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2007, 06:06 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Decatur is a great town. My family is from there and I still have family there. It has grown A LOT over the years. We used to say the only thing growing was the cemetery . Anyway, since SuperWalmart came to town years ago the other stores like IGA closed up . The mayor has been actively trying to get grocery stores to come there but since wallyworld is there most don't want to (too many of them are in trouble now $$$ wise like Albertson's closing up most of their stores in the Dallas area). Home Depot is there though and some other stores. It is one of the few towns that still has a K-Bob's Steakhouse (not THE best steak but it will do and a good salad bar). Recently the city hired a company to come in and look at the area to help them try to attract more businesses and they got some great ideas from that study. There are some great little specialty shops in town and the square is good w/ one of the most beautiful county courthouses in the state. There are two large car dealerships w/ James Wood being the largest carrying most GM lines. Most folks go to Ft Worth and a few to Denton for things they can't find in Decatur. The hospital has grown over the years and has pretty good care for a town that size. From my own experiences w/ relatives being at the Decatur hospital and other small town hospitals (the others being bigger than Decatur) I'd take Decatur over the others. If it is something pretty major they will transport you to one of the BIG hospitals in Dallas or Ft Worth by ambulance or careflight.

As for the homes in that price range it is probably going to be more manufactured homes you will find. You might also look in the Lipsy addition. The homes are nicely built but not huge or the most modern and most have pretty good size yards. I can not remember how much we sold my grandparents home for in there a few years back but it was right in that range I believe.

Old 08-04-2007, 06:14 PM

Thanks for all of the information.
If you think of anything I might need to know, please send another response!

Old 08-04-2007, 09:54 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,376,939 times
dayum yer lucky! to escape Corpus...and you are moving back to my county (i lived in Paradise)....used to go to Decatur to go grocery shopping (closest real town to me)....love Decatur. They have a TSC there, and an NRS there.
great little restaurants, some good main street shopping. i never had much reason to go to the big city, except for an occasional Ft Worth Stockyards fix.
i am so so jealous! what brings yall to Decatur?
cant wait to get out of Corpus Christi area myself-just a few more months for me! (going to hill country or panhandle)
oh by the way i am an ER Registered Nurse. the hospital in Decatur is very nice-relatively small, but definitely not backwoods-it is high tech and has excellent medical staff. you wont be disappointed!
p.s. you asked about clothing store chains.....i doubt many, unless the town has grown in 3 years. they might have had a CATO, dont remember. i aint much for shopping-i would buy all my clothes at Walmart, Tractor Supply Company, David's Western Wear etc.............all in Decatur. (or online!)...you wont find an SPID there lol!
and in terms of houses, why restrict yourself to Decatur? look at the other areas in the county. i bought a very cheap double wide, huge barn and 3 acres of land for under 65K in Paradise....though it was 6 years ago or so.........

Last edited by NOTAM; 08-04-2007 at 09:59 PM.. Reason: add info

Old 08-05-2007, 11:01 AM

Thanks for the info. I was a respiratory therapist for 19 years, that's why I was interested in the hospital. What brought you to South Texas? I am looking forward to having seasons! I will admit I am nervous moving to such a small town, but I am looking forward to a change. I have been in Corpus for 16 years. It will be hard to leave my friends, but they can come for a visit. Do you remember how close a Target or Petsmart is to Decatur? Good luck leaving Corpus

Old 08-05-2007, 07:35 PM

what brings you to Decatur?
a contract with big money attached brought me to South Texas, but now i know why they were so desperate.
target and petsmart (or petco) are in ft worth and wichita falls-around 45 min drive i reckon
thanks for the good luck wishes but an ER RN dont need none lol! i am outta here!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by volleyofficial View Post
Thanks for the info. I was a respiratory therapist for 19 years, that's why I was interested in the hospital. What brought you to South Texas? I am looking forward to having seasons! I will admit I am nervous moving to such a small town, but I am looking forward to a change. I have been in Corpus for 16 years. It will be hard to leave my friends, but they can come for a visit. Do you remember how close a Target or Petsmart is to Decatur? Good luck leaving Corpus

Old 08-06-2007, 06:41 PM

Job transfer - to Decatur, from Laredo, actually. My husband lives in Laredo during the week, but comes home, to Corpus, on the weekends. I will not move to Laredo, but we move to Decatur with him! Do you plan on moving back to Decatur after you go to the Panhandle / Hill Country for awhile?

Old 08-06-2007, 07:25 PM

no, would love to, but the specific area of work I want to be in, at my previous job in that area, is out of question, as my ex is there

and though i love the area, i do think i would like panhandle or hill country even better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by volleyofficial View Post
Job transfer - to Decatur, from Laredo, actually. My husband lives in Laredo during the week, but comes home, to Corpus, on the weekends. I will not move to Laredo, but we move to Decatur with him! Do you plan on moving back to Decatur after you go to the Panhandle / Hill Country for awhile?

Old 08-06-2007, 09:44 PM

1,383 posts, read 3,432,259 times
Decatur is a really nice town and has grown A LOT and is still growing all the time.There is a lot of new construction in Decatur.There is a lot of new hotels,restaurants,and shopping centers coming. There is a new shopping center going in on 287 where the new LaQuinta is under construction and a new mall/shopping center may be going on at the intersection of 287 and 380. As far as grocery shopping, we have Wal-mart and IGA. There is rumors that another chain is coming. We do most of our grocery shopping in Fort Worth and Denton at Target,Sams,and Albertsons.You can be in Fort Worth in 25-30 minutes and Denton in 25 minutes. Dallas is about 45 minutes away....depends on where your going in Dallas. There is a lot of people that live in Decatur and work in Fort Worth and Dallas. Decatur recently built a new 6 story hospital and it is really nice. Never been in it though because we go to the doctor and to the hospital in Fort Worth. There is a lot of new housing developments in Decatur. Also the schools are really good. And to answer your question about where people go for stuff that they cant get in Decatur, they go to Fort Worth and Denton.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:56 PM

2 posts, read 8,812 times
Default tranfering to decatur

[SIZE=3]Hey is nice to know some one out there is in my same position. We are also probably moving to Decatur from Laredo, we been here 2 years and they are offering us to move there my husband is going this Friday to visit it. So what you gays can tell me about school district, are they good? Can you live in Forth worth or Denton and work in Decatur[/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth