U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2011, 10:18 PM

2 posts, read 4,022 times

Advertisements

My husband has a job offer from Alcon. We are thinking of moving from Atlanta, but can't decide. WE need advice on neighborhoods that are close to his office with good schools and lots of kid friendly activities. Our price range is $300-$400,000. Any advice is appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 10:48 AM

10,566 posts, read 22,486,812 times
Alcon is in an industrial area south of Fort Worth. You could easily commute there from Mansfield, Burleson, Alvarado, and all of those areas would be within your price range.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:51 AM

1,064 posts, read 3,384,583 times
I am assuming he would be working at the location in FW off 35? How far of a commute is your husband willing to take?

Old 06-03-2011, 02:46 PM

2 posts, read 4,022 times
He has a 15-20 min commute now with traffic. We would prefer a similar commute. HOw are the schools in that area? We have five children and are very interested in good school systems (we are in a great district now).

Old 06-03-2011, 11:07 PM

32,609 posts, read 51,192,215 times
We were eating dinner at a Mexican restaurant in Bedford--town in Mid Cities halfway between FTW and Dallas--several months ago and couple next to us were talking--
we understood from their discussion that they were in area doing househunting for job change--and started conversation with them
He was also going to work for Alcon--was moving from Canada
they were looking in Colleyville in more expensive price point that you--and he would have made what was probably a 30 min commute each way
There were people with Alcon who recommended Mansfield to them for the commute but they wanted Colleyville schools--thought they were just better and worth a little longer drive

You can see Colleyville on map--and search for hundreds of threads about it on this forum
Has a very good ISD--Grapevine-Colleyville ISD--but with the state cutting budget for education all districts are going to feel the hurt--
GCISD also had its superintendent leave this year to take job in Richardson ISD in Dallas area
so there are pressures in that district causing problems--supers don't leave in middle of year for no reason
BUT it is still very good district and the Colleyville side of the district has NO apts--which is an issue that most other districts in Tarrant county have

Most rating systems will rank Southlake Carroll ISD as best in Tarrant area
then comes
Grapevine-Colleyville ISD--(Lewisville ISD I would rate as strong but it is farther EAST and worse commute)
then group of Birdville, Keller, Hurst Euless Bedford, maybe Northwest
then Aledo, Burleson, Mansfield, Eagle Mtn-Saginaw--some people would move Mansfield up a rankbut it has few NMS and does not seem to grow more
then Fort Worth ISD (except the Paschal HS zone which is great), White Settlement, Castleberry, Azle,

I rate them that way because of their district ratings, the number of Recognized schools, number of National Merit scholars, and other factors--like do they have an IB program or strong AP program--how does the district rate for fiscal management (mor bang for buck use of taxes)--were there stories of financial irregularities --what kind of special programs do they have--how old are their physical plants

Old 06-06-2011, 01:15 PM

269 posts, read 492,104 times
I lived close to Alcon Labs for over 10 years before moving last year, there is no city close enough for a 15-20 mins commute that has a good ISD!.

The traffic along I-35W during morning & evening commute is horrendous!.

To the north you have Southlake, Keller, Colleyville, Westlake, Trophy Club, Flower Mound which are some of the best ISD's in North Texas, but it requires you to commute all the way down I-35W, lot's of traffic, especially around downtown Ft.Worth area...

To the east you have Mansfield, which again requires you to probably go on I-20 and down I-35W, probably a better bet in terms of traffic, but certainly around 30 mins +

To the west you have Benbrook, good commute time but not a good school district...

To the south you have Burleson, decent ISD, and average commute time!....

To give you an example, I drove every single day from the area around Alcon to Texas Motor Speedway for my job, average commute was 60 mins each way... you'll have to use a map to see exactly what I'm talking about and map out some of these cities....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley927 View Post
He has a 15-20 min commute now with traffic. We would prefer a similar commute. HOw are the schools in that area? We have five children and are very interested in good school systems (we are in a great district now).

Old 06-06-2011, 02:01 PM

156 posts, read 244,431 times
Look around The TCU area. Tangelwood Elem is a GREAT school, the middle is good and improving and Pascal has a fabulous Gifted track. You should be able to find a house in your price point and while it would be older, you are a 5 min drive away from the zoo, all the museums, Forest Park and Trinity Park, Botanical Garden and 15 mins from downtown. Plus all the sports at TCU. Right now is a good time to get into the area as there are more houses on the market than normal and if you look around you might find something that needs a little work that will have a nice resale value.

It's a great area that's only getting better. Look along Hulen between Vickery and I-20. Tanglewood, Overton, Overton West, Overton woods neighborhoods. Also Lily B Clayton is good elem school and feeds into Pascal.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:39 PM

32,609 posts, read 51,192,215 times
You dont get to Alcon's location from Southlake by using I35--
no one would unless they were right next to I35 and that is NOT Southlake's location
that is more North Keller/Haslet/Justin--

For Southlake or Colleyville you would go south--to 183/Airport Frwy/121 and use it to go into downtown FTW and catch I35 there and go south
the 820 Loop south has more traffic and longer commute so would not recommend it

note that I also said the Paschal HS zone in FTW ISD was area worth considering
you might also look at North Richland Hills area around N Tarrant Parkway--
part of that is in Keller ISD but Birdville and Keller ISD are comprable
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth