U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 08:42 AM

39 posts, read 69,254 times

Advertisements

Hello All, can you guys tell me anything about these areas. They were recommended by my husband future boss. He also recommended Keller, Colleyville, and Grapevine. I know Colleyville and Grapevine are probably out of our budget. We have seen a few nice ones in Keller and I hear about their schools there. I just dont know anything about Mansfield and Arlington.

TIA
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 08:47 AM

32,551 posts, read 51,112,793 times
run a search on the FTW and Dallas forums for both towns--
plenty of threads that have current info about both of them

things people stress to others moving into the area is
1--buy/rent in best location you can afford and that means relatively close in good school district
2-don't be in hurry to buy before you get feel for the Metroplex--or as much of it as you need to
Someone working in Arlington/Mid-Cities area does not really need to concern themselves with details of Plano/Dallas or Aledo/Burleson or any other location--unless there is something really specific in that area that matters
3--buy/rent in the best school district you can afford because that is probably the second most important factor after commute--and some people would rank it higher (especially if they have school kids)
ISDs set level for desireability/resale/tax rate that influences mortage affordability--lots of other variables that matter to people looking for home

Old 06-05-2011, 09:38 AM

621 posts, read 1,207,133 times
Personally I always drive an area. I was looking at downsizing to E. Dallas and asked a few questions......But after going and seeing the areas I decided they were not nice enough for me.
Take a few hours out in the car, stop at the police stations and ask questions.

But like loves2read said...The school distrricts matter A LOT!

Old 06-05-2011, 02:47 PM

58 posts, read 188,784 times
Mansfield is a generally nice area.
Arlington is a large city (population of 250,000 or so) so it is very diverse. Some nice areas but most areas leave something to be desired.

Old 06-22-2013, 05:00 PM

12 posts, read 14,461 times
We have decided to move to Texas. The move is not job related so I have flexibility as to where to live. My criteria are:

1) safe neighborhood
2) excellent school district
3) decent job market for automotive retail/service manager
4) originally climate was not a factor, but more I research more I prefer dry heat to humidity.

At the offset I was considering Sugarland or Kingwood in Houston. However, a recent conversation with a California ex pat got me looking at Mansfield in Arlington. One interesting factor was the weather was dry heat in Arlington. I knew of the humidity in Houston but would rather have dry climate. There are major multi- franchised dealers nearby making job search easier. Any thoughts or suggestions would be kindly appreciated.

Old 06-25-2013, 03:57 PM

800 posts, read 916,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeg20 View Post
We have decided to move to Texas. The move is not job related so I have flexibility as to where to live. My criteria are:

1) safe neighborhood
2) excellent school district
3) decent job market for automotive retail/service manager
4) originally climate was not a factor, but more I research more I prefer dry heat to humidity.

At the offset I was considering Sugarland or Kingwood in Houston. However, a recent conversation with a California ex pat got me looking at Mansfield in Arlington. One interesting factor was the weather was dry heat in Arlington. I knew of the humidity in Houston but would rather have dry climate. There are major multi- franchised dealers nearby making job search easier. Any thoughts or suggestions would be kindly appreciated.
First off, Mansfield and Arlington are two separate cities right next to each other. Arlington is much larger, and more diverse. As far as heat, Arlington is drier than Houston, but it's not Arizona. Checked weather.com; there's 39% humidity today. Not bad really, it's not a noticeable difference.

School districts: Mansfield is much, much better. I graduated from a public high school in Arlington. Man, they have gotten worse every year. If you live in south Arlington or Mansfield, then your kids will attend MISD schools. Check a Mansfield ISD map to see what areas fall into their school district vs. Arlington's.

Neighborhoods: Arlington is safe overall, with some areas to avoid. Mansfield is safer; probably could live anywhere and be equally as safe as somewhere else in Mansfield. If you're gonna live somewhere in Arlington, live in South Arlington closer to Mansfield, Southwest Arlington, Dalworthington Gardens (a small community located in West Arlington) or North Arlington. Don't live in East Arlington; this is where the poorer residents of Arlington live, and unfortunately where a large percentage of the crime happens. If you can find a map, avoid anything north of Interstate 20, south of Interstate 30, west of Center St, and East of State Highway 360. IMO.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:13 PM

138 posts, read 333,977 times
South Arlington attends MISD, but my advice is to really check out those neighborhoods before buying.

Old 07-20-2013, 01:43 AM

12 posts, read 14,461 times
Thanks for the advice. I decided to look at Rockwall. Will be visiting there pretty soon to scout the area.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:30 PM

10,548 posts, read 22,446,262 times
Rockwall is great, but a commute from there to Fort Worth is totally impossible...

Old 07-22-2013, 07:31 PM

32,551 posts, read 51,112,793 times
and if you are serious about "dry heat" check a website that has humidity averages for various towns/areas of the US--
this is one I found
Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
Rockwall has some high humidity during warmer days...
it is not a "dry" heat like the desert in West Texas or an area like Phoenix or the mountains in New Mexico...

Last edited by Yac; 09-07-2018 at 05:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth