Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 02:55 AM

119 posts, read 347,936 times

Advertisements

I noticed the temps are getting high, is it a HUMID type of heat, or is it a DRY type of heat?

Only 9 more days till we arrive.

What do y'all do, when its so HOT outside?

Im so fair skinned, I think Ill Fry and Burn as soon as I see the sun. Oh My.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 05:01 AM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
Yes, Texas summers are VERY hot and humid. If you want a dry heat, you have to go WAY out west, like to Odessa!

We hide indoors when it is so hot. Everything here has a/c, and sometimes so much that you want a sweater! A/c was invented in Texas! Fortunately, the heat usually subsides in the evenings, so we come out once it has cooled off a bit.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:59 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
use sunscreen all the time--especially on faces--something like Oil of Olay with 50 proof is what my husband uses
we stay in inside during the worst temps or at least don't stay outside in the sun for prolonged periods
walking from my car to the store is about all I do outside after 10AM

some people go to the water parks and use their pools
lot of people who walk do their walking in the malls in early hours before the stores open

if you walk a pet you go early because even later in the evening after the sun is low the temps are still high

and you hope your AC does not go out--about this time of year is when the AC people get really busy and you might have to wait more than 24 hrs for a service call

Old 06-06-2011, 06:22 AM

119 posts, read 347,936 times
Ive been reading both your posts over and over, with a blank face and mind!

Since I have agoraphobia, and stay inside most of the time anyway, I wont
seem too out of place. (making a haha at myself).
Ive had agoraphobia and panic disorder, for over 20 years.
When I can get myself to get out, Im more comfortable to go at night time-
run errands, grocery shopping, etc.

Few Questions:

When the kids start school, is it still hot?
Are the kids permitted to wear shorts to school?
Are the grocery stores open late?

Thx as always - you guys are the best

Old 06-06-2011, 08:14 AM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
It is hot here until mid-September, and sometimes into early October.
Check your ISD's dress code. They vary wildly. The ISD where I went to school did not allow students to wear shorts past second grade.
Yes, most stores are open late. Wal-Mart Supercenters are open 24/7. Th eonly bad thing with most "normal" stores is they do their stock late at night, so the aisles are full of boxes, etc.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:35 AM

301 posts, read 571,019 times
Weather channel has it as 83 degrees with 55% humidity (feels like 85) right now. Typically the humidity goes down a bit during the day or we get a thunderstorm. Houston is WAY worse. Even Maryland is worse to me in terms of humidity but not as hot actual temp. We survive on AC, our pool, sunscreen, lots of water, exercising indoors (FM has a great community athletic/aquatic center). When I do activities outdoors it is earlier in the morning usually. LISD lets the kids wear shorts just not super short ones or tank tops.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:43 AM

32 posts, read 52,543 times
Yesterday was like a punch in the face...so hot. Summers are long, hot and humid here but I have been to places that are more humid. When the humidity level is low here, it feels hotter to me. More stifling is the best way to express it (when humidity is low). I have lived here for 17 years and I still can't get used to it...I dread July and August. It really depends on your tolerance for heat though.

At least everything is air-conditioned here. We survive with pools and waterparks...playing outdoors during the day is quickly becoming out of the question in this heat. Use lots of sunscreen. The sun is VERY powerful here. My kids are very tan already and I am constantly applying and reapplying sunscreen when we are outdoors.

Yes, it is still very hot when school starts. Like PK stated, shorts are permitted but not short-shorts and no tank tops allowed.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:38 PM

168 posts, read 614,775 times
Only 55% humidity? I can't wait to get there!!!!!!

I'm currently in Miami with 90% humidity....I'm ready for the drier heat. I know it won't be dry like CA was, but anything is better than Miami.

Only 5 more weeks until we move :-)

Old 06-06-2011, 05:48 PM

621 posts, read 1,333,363 times
most Wally Worlds and some Krogers are 24 hour.............Other than that I don't know

Old 06-06-2011, 05:49 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggers View Post
Only 55% humidity? I can't wait to get there!!!!!!

I'm currently in Miami with 90% humidity....I'm ready for the drier heat. I know it won't be dry like CA was, but anything is better than Miami.

Only 5 more weeks until we move :-)
Bear in mind you're trading 90 degrees and 65% humidity in July for 100+ degrees and 55% humidity.

Plus IMHO it does not cool off at night in Dallas. 80-85 degrees at 5am is anything but cool.

A high in the mid 90s and a low in the upper 50s...THAT is cooling off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth