U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 02:34 PM

47 posts, read 91,027 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Keller in a couple weeks and am having trouble deciding on what provider to go with for tv, internet, & phone. I currently have Charter for cable and internet in CA and use at&t for phone. The Verizon Fios looked good but they do not have wifi for macs :-( I see a few of you use Uverse. What major advantage does uverse have over Charter? I need to decide soon! I may end up with Charter just for the comfort factor (had it for years!). TIA!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 03:02 PM

119 posts, read 197,745 times
I've never used Charter, but I can tell you that we're happy with Uverse.

Please look at this thread for more info - //www.city-data.com/forum/fort-...l#post19287472

Old 06-07-2011, 03:20 PM

7,368 posts, read 11,678,318 times
I can't compare UVerse to Charter but I can tell you that between UVerse and DirecTV, I'd choose DirecTV and find a 3rd party for Internet and Phone.

UVerse has gotten better but it's still an overpriced mediocre product compared to DirecTV.

The TV packages are inferior in quality to comparable DirecTV packages.

We experienced 3 long-term (6 hour+) outages within the first 3 months.

You can only pause and rewind live TV on the main receiver.

You cannot cycle back and forth between streams. On our TiVo receiver you could essentially watch 2 live shows in parallel. With UVerse you cannot.

AT&T will reboot your receiver without warning when they push out a software update.

Unless you have a fiber-to-premises install, UVerse is fairly useless. You get 2 HD streams and 4 regular streams.

Then there's the fun of dealing with an Indian call center when you need tech support.

Old 06-07-2011, 03:50 PM

3,087 posts, read 6,978,527 times
Our family's experience with UVerse is the complete opposite of bluescreen in regards to UVerse vs DirectTV. Granted we have not had DirectTV in our own house, but both my older daughters have and jumped to get UVerse as soon as it was available in the apartments they each chose. Anything to be rid of Direct TV. It went out with any high winds or rain more than just drizzle. It was frustrating for each of them to try to know what was going on weather wise each time there were nasty storms when the DTV went out as usual and they could get nothing.

Also, we are renting a house from one of my cousins and they had UVerse here but can't get it yet to their new house and they are completely fed up with DirectTV. We were just there a couple of weeks ago for a graduation party and they were telling us how they were on their 3rd receiver, have had numerous reboots done while on the phone and had several techs out for service and still can't get all the channels to work consistently after being there for 2 years.

UVerse may have it's limitations, just as others do in what they offer, but it's never been an issue for us. We don't have to have HD streams on 6 different TVs at the same time and we understand the main receiver being the brain center. When we first got UVerse, you couldn't watch a recording in any room but where the main receiver was...so that's been good progress.

The only outage we have had was when a particular part in the outside phone box went out and had to be replaced. We've called a couple of times for different things and never spoken to a foreign call center.

It has various packages with different levels of channels available, speeds of internet and phone choices.

It's been about 6 years since having Charter, and honestly we weren't paying for it at the time as it had not been disconnected when we moved into that rental house. At the time it had less channels offered than what we were interested in, so we didn't continue with it.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:51 PM

32,589 posts, read 51,171,562 times
never had direct tv
had Time warner at house in Bedford--it was really poor
got Uverse when we moved to Hurst--
yes--there are problems sometimes but has been more pain free than TW
sometimes I do get someone from another continent when I call for help--but sometimes I don't
they are usually very polite and want to help
had to have our main DVR unit switched--the first replacement was burned out as well--but it may have just been the guy who brought it out--that is a newbie job and he was obviously pretty new

most people on our culdesac have it from what I can tell
I think alot of your success depends on how your intall was done--I had someone who was pretty sharp and while I am not as close as I would like to be to my "node" where my stream comes from--it could be worse
if you are at the farthest end of a stream then your connection might be problamatic from the word go

there is good info on the Uverse forum at att.com or .net if you are geeky enough to understand it--most posters there are pretty knowledgeable--

Old 06-08-2011, 09:01 AM

278 posts, read 636,531 times
Go Charter! U-verse sucks... Had it for over a year and the TV picture would freeze up... PC would stop working and had to be rebooted daily. Charter TV is far superior and sound is MUCH better.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:44 AM
k_s

408 posts, read 824,320 times
Might be a silly question, but doesn't hurt to ask -- does Charter even cover your area? When I lived in Tarrant County, I was looking into getting service with Charter, but didn't have the option.

FWIW -- I use FiOS and love it. From what I've seen with U-verse, it's very similar, so if given the choice, I'd probably choose U-verse.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:58 AM

47 posts, read 91,027 times
Thanks for the replies! Yes, charter is available. I tried to order it yesterday but the current tenants need to cancel their charter service before I can set mine up.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:39 PM

32,589 posts, read 51,171,562 times
if the house is using charter already then it is really just simpler to use charter
with uverse you will likely have have new/different type of wiring run depending age of house
and that means you have someone in your attic for while depending on how many outlets you want in different rooms

Old 06-08-2011, 02:43 PM

7,368 posts, read 11,678,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
if the house is using charter already then it is really just simpler to use charter
with uverse you will likely have have new/different type of wiring run depending age of house
and that means you have someone in your attic for while depending on how many outlets you want in different rooms
Devil's advocate - UVerse isn't much of an install. The signal comes in on the standard copper phone wire in most cases and the techs can use either existing coax or cat-5 wiring to bring it into the house.

We had both. Started out with coax but a bad cable in the house necessitated a switch to CAT-5.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth