Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 04:25 PM

168 posts, read 614,775 times

Advertisements

We're really starting to get excited! Movers arrive next Thursday morning and we should be in Ft. Worth by the 17th (driving from Miami).

Everything is coming together nicely....the anxious part will be finding out how long the movers will take (we have a delivery estimate of 4-11 days).

Been watching the weather and we figure it's comparable to MIA (our humidity is WAY higher right now)....so we're prepared for that!

We'll probably be eating out while waiting for the movers, so looking forward to trying some restaurants around the city.

Hubby is excited to go to Billy Bobs LOL

Anyhow....just wanted to relate our excitement!

Oh, and I just found out that my office furniture is being ordered...so the big transition to being a professor is really becoming a reality!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 05:33 PM

1,379 posts, read 6,426,539 times
We just spent a week in Orlando and it was cooler in temperature but higher humidity. The heat here right now is like an oven. Really hot and dry!

Joe T' Garcia's is down south of the Stockyards just off Main Street. Sit on the patio out back on a cooler evening. They have great margarita's but only take cash.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:35 PM

211 posts, read 495,090 times
I'm excited that you're excited! I worked at TCU for 7 yrs, and it's a wonderful place and so good to it's employees. I hope you really enjoy it...it's a great school.

As far as eating out...you're going to be in the Bryant-Irvin area right? There are a ton of chain restaurants there...anything you want. Personally, I prefer non-chains. I would say head north to Camp Bowie or over to the TCU area, or farther east over to the up-and-coming Magnolia area...lots of neat, funky restaurants and bars.

You'll have plenty of time to find your favorites. Enjoy!

Old 07-06-2011, 10:17 PM

301 posts, read 571,019 times
Yay! I think you'll love it here. I do

Old 07-07-2011, 12:16 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,947,759 times
I hope you like North Texas

Old 07-08-2011, 05:27 AM

Thanks all! I really hope we'll like it too!

Orlando is north of us and not as humid as Miami (if you can imagine that)....so we're looking forward to the drier heat. A quick walk with my dog in the morning and my clothes are damp from the humidity!

And yes, definitely want to stay away from the chain restaurants! We'll be on a quest to find some good Mexican food. We miss it so much (used to live in CA).

Old 07-13-2011, 11:53 AM

Well, tomorrow is the day! Movers are all confirmed and just the last few things to go into boxes. Should be done by this evening and the cars packed up tonight too. Movers will be here between 7-8 AM. Let them do their thing, drop off the cable boxes, and off we go!

We should be in Fort Worth by Sat/Sun and the driver said our stuff should be there on Tuesday! Which is fabulous, because we were quoted a 4-11 day window and Tuesday would only be 5 days!

Old 07-13-2011, 02:07 PM

394 posts, read 1,257,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggers View Post
...drop off the cable boxes, and off we go!
Looks like you've got everything covered. By all means, drop off those cable boxes and keep the receipts from them until you get that zero balance bill ! In my day, cable companies were notorious about hounding people for unreturned boxes - usually in the wrong.

Good luck with your trip. Now the fun begins! I imagine the very first thing you'll find out upon arrival (or soon thereafter) is which N. TX BBQ chains you can tolerate and those that you can't. Report back. I suspect you'll be eating out regularly for awhile.

-Eric

Old 07-14-2011, 02:14 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
as the great Brian Regan says---"Take Luck!"

Old 07-14-2011, 08:06 PM

425 posts, read 995,779 times
Good luck!

Our movers (from Chicago) beat us here! I'm glad you won't have to wait long to get your stuff!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth