Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 07:32 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,707,783 times

Advertisements

I've read this post carefully and looked at all the photos. First, I have to say I have never, ever cared that much about my houses. I love houses and buy and sell residential properties as time and income permits. I can get freaky when my neighbor's living habits infringe on my own. When a property of mine is on the market I can turn into the HOA police strictly because I want to sell the place. Otherwise, if it doesn't directly effect me, I'm not that into caring what others do. Frankly, life is just too damn short and there are just too many other ways to spend my time.....but, that's me.

I have bought houses with neighboring homes that I disliked. The factors that make or break my purchase decisions are if the homes are generally in the same price ranges, generally in the same condition, and that none of the other houses (except the one I am purchasing) are bringing down resale prices in the neighborhood. So, as Hypercore says, pretend you were shopping for your house today. Pretend that house was completed and the exterior finish work is up to community standards. Would you buy your house again with that house all completed? I suspect that your answer would even be more likely to be "yes" because the empty lot now finishes the circle. By the way, how beautiful is that neighborhood! Love it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 07:52 AM

211 posts, read 495,633 times
I have never lived in an HOA neighborhood, and I can't imagine ever doing so. But if those house plans were HOA approved, I just wouldn't let it bother me. Like others have said, wait until it's all finished and then see how it shakes down.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:40 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,897,232 times
I agree squirl.
I too looked at the photos, and I see that the completed houses on the right have drivways that "butt up" to each other. The new houses foundation looks like it is doing the same.
The lot is irregular shaped and I really don't think that it is so HORRIBLY ugly... It is a custom home in a strict HOA neighborhood. I am sure the finished product will be fine.

Old 07-10-2011, 12:20 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,892,706 times
the guy building this house has built some really nice custom homes--
he told one of my neighbors when they could tell how skewed the front door/siting on the lot was that he "would have told them not to built that house on this lot"--
but I guess he did not want to lose the job--
what does he care--he is not going to have to sell the house--

Well, of course he didn't want to lose the job. That's not illegal, you know.......why SHOULD he care about the resale value? That is up to the buyer having the house built. I have ALWAYS bought with consideration to resale, but there are quite a few who don't--and it looks like this pending neighbor is one of them.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:40 PM

373 posts, read 635,820 times
Thumbs up Your Alright By Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfieldtrash4 View Post
Yeah myob. Are you paying for the house? It has been approved by the hoa and doesn't need the nosey neighbors approval.
I have some good pals who worked in the Oil Patch. Your Alright By Me. They know how to work and look out for thier friends.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:09 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,949,299 times
FYI--
the HOA board which approved this wacky house design had a non-scheduled/announced meeting (secret) last night and voted in a new board--there was no mailed out notice of candidates which we were promised after the last vote was contested and the board agreed to all new nominees and mail out new ballots--
the new board was voted in but I got to cast no vote--and other HOA members did not either

so what does that tell you about the intentions/abilities of the people who were in power and approved this home design--

whether you like it or not--you have to acknowledge that as home owners we should have a voice/vote in choosing the people to run the board--it is supposed to serve ALL the HOA--not just the needs of a few people who want to push other people around

Old 07-11-2011, 07:37 AM

295 posts, read 950,168 times
I don't think there's much you can do if that design was approved by the existing or past HOA board.

I would wait. Hopefully the house won't look as bad as you think it will. On the other had if you'd rather not deal with it then put your house on the market. Might give you a chance to go to a neighborhood were you know what the houses next to you look like...

good luck!

Old 07-11-2011, 09:01 AM

2,714 posts, read 4,286,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
There was one lot left on cul de sac our house is on -- someone finally bought it and started to build a house on it--
Supposedly this house's design has complied with the HOA design requirements and been "passed" by the HOA architectural committee--
someone on that committee lives on our cul de sac and I think he has no clue what this house will actually look like...
He has been out of town for over a week and the foundation was poured end of June and they have been doing the framing...

The house--which is a single story and just at the min sq ft for the HOA requirements--is kilted on the lot--
the front door of the house is framed to face right into the garage door of the house next to it--
there will not be enough room at the (street-front) left corner to actually HAVE a flower bed because it is so close to the boundary line--
TOO close to be in accord with the HOA building code
the garage will have such an acute angle turn that the cars will more like spend the night on the driveway...

this house is seriously flawed--
the man who is the head of the HOA and the architectural committee has made enemies with people on my court already because he was inflexible about another house design for different lot--next to HIS house--on another street--that a friend of someone on my court wanted to build couple of years ago (lot is still vacant)
he refused to grant a variance for the house to be 6 inches closer to the lot line dividing his lot and the possible build--that house would have been 4000 sq ft (his is like 2800) two story--just 6" over the HOA 4 ft separation between lot boundaries--no big deal--
definitely not the violation that the house on MY court is showing--

he wanted the people to take their plans back to the architect and have them redrawn to comply with the HOA rules--they had spent 4K getting the plans done--
I know the architect should have obeyed the HOA requirements--but believe me--that house would not have been nearly the eyesore/drawback to house values in the neighborhood that this house under construction on MY street will be

Our lot is one house over to the north--so it is not nearly as affected by the whopjaw design as the houses on either side--
both of them are two storied--and over 3500 sq ft--
it just looks awful--

the people who are building it came when they were setting the forms but I have not seen them come to check on it since then---don't spent lot of time looking out my front windows but the neighbor across the street said she had not seen them either
I don't know if THEY know how bad this looks--some people just don't have a good sense of what a drawing will become when it goes real--
they apparently rent a house that is south of Hwy 10 in the River Trails neighborhood--that is south of Hurst--about a 10-15 min drive so they could come and see it fairly easily-

the guy building this house has built some really nice custom homes--
he told one of my neighbors when they could tell how skewed the front door/siting on the lot was that he "would have told them not to built that house on this lot"--
but I guess he did not want to lose the job--
what does he care--he is not going to have to sell the house--

I am really upset--
we had been out of town end of June and did not see how the front was going to be framed until we came back from vacation--

this sucks big time

any suggestions for legal remedies--
it is possible to get injunction to stop the build if it violates the HOA restrictions?
what if they misrepresented the layout of the house on their drawing submission to the HOA?
Sounds to me that you can't do anything about it. Maybe hang out in the backyard instead of the front yard from now on. I really doubt it will devalue your home.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:57 AM

15,542 posts, read 10,531,284 times
Well that looks like a disaster in the making, I can't imagine what they are thinking. I can't give a constructive answer about the HOA since I hate them.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:54 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,949,299 times
Found out this morning when my husband took out the trash that the HOA board met in (basically) secret last night and voted on new slate of board members--
vs having the election on July 20 as the newletter they sent to homeowners specified--

they should have mailed to each homeowner a new ballot w/the nominees--including ones who were nominated additionally to the slate--
then people should have had until July 18 to turn in that ballot by mail
if they wanted to vote in person they could come to open meeting on July 20--
all votes would be counted and the winners declared and the new board installed

instead the old board had a meeting--w/o notifying the HOA members in general (like me and my husband) and voted themselves IN

I don't believe that there is legal reason for doing that--there was no "emergency" reason when the vote was previously scheduled for July 20th--AND homeowners were NEVER sent ballot with the entire list of nominees--

supposedly some of these people went to an attorney who told them they could hold that election--but since we have no idea of what they told the attorney I put no faith is HIS interpretation/justification of what happened...

just sucks frankly--

and to my mind is just one way they are trying to CYA over this new construction on my court--

probably going to have to try for board recall but that is difficult to do if you have homeowners who just don't care as long as they are not affected by decisions of the board--
like most of the owners in neighborhood who don't live on this street or who don't face it and see that wonky house going up probably could care less-
some of them probably never vote in HOA elections and just want to be left alone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth