U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 08:34 PM

3 posts, read 5,009 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to Fort Worth and wondering what is a family friendly area (good schools, safe, parks, budget friendly) that is not on the north side. I hear Keller and Grapevine are nice, but they are to far north. Looking for something more central or south.

The offices my husband will travel to are Pier 1/Plaza building, Arc Park and Cleburne. If that helps.

Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 09:09 PM

690 posts, read 1,577,217 times
Burleson... is a growing community less than 15. miles south of downtown Fort Worth.

Burleson has the small town feel, but still close enough to everything.

The usual questions though:
1.) Will it fit your budget. What is your budget?
2.) needs/wants?
3.) amenities?
Burleson, TX - Official Website

4.) Schools,
Burleson Independent School District | Burleson Independent School District

Last edited by RockyJoe817; 08-01-2011 at 09:12 PM.. Reason: correction

Old 08-02-2011, 06:47 AM

211 posts, read 451,702 times
I am an inner-city, "inside the loop" Fort Worthian. When you say "central or south Fort Worth" I don't think of Burleson, Mansfield, Crowley, etc. I think of Fort Worth proper. Obviously, I'm in the minority around here.

But, that said....I would highly recommend the Ryan Place, Mistletoe Heights, Berkeley or Fairmount neighborhoods. Your husband would have excellent proximity to downtown (Pier 1), Arc Park (just off of I30) and Cleburne (I 35). The Lily B. Clayton/McLean/Paschal schools are among the best in FW, and you are very close to parks, the zoo, churches, shopping.

I love Fort Worth. It doesn't work for everybody who wants the more homogenous suburban life, but it works for many people.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:31 AM

119 posts, read 198,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvsFW View Post
I would highly recommend the Ryan Place, Mistletoe Heights, Berkeley or Fairmount neighborhoods. Your husband would have excellent proximity to downtown (Pier 1), Arc Park (just off of I30) and Cleburne (I 35). The Lily B. Clayton/McLean/Paschal schools are among the best in FW, and you are very close to parks, the zoo, churches, shopping
These are very nice areas, but very pricey. A good sized family home (4/3 ish) in the nicer areas (i.e. Mistletoe Heights) is about a minimum of $350k. It all comes down to budget.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:08 PM

Default Thank you!

I dont know terms of the Fort Worth districts, so when I say central or south, I am referring to what I see on the map as south of the I30 and West of I35.

Thanks all for your help! I have somewhere to start looking, it is very large in comparison to where I am now, and is overwhelming!

Old 08-02-2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahome View Post
I dont know terms of the Fort Worth districts, so when I say central or south, I am referring to what I see on the map as south of the I30 and West of I35.

Thanks all for your help! I have somewhere to start looking, it is very large in comparison to where I am now, and is overwhelming!
You and I are talking about the same area. That is exactly what I would consider central or south Fort Worth. But lunebloc is correct that those homes will be pricier than in the suburbs.

Old 08-02-2011, 05:20 PM

32,697 posts, read 51,402,648 times
and if you care about schools you are going to have to focus your search in just few areas

Old 08-02-2011, 10:45 PM

Default I very much care!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
and if you care about schools you are going to have to focus your search in just few areas
The schools have to be excellent, and will be the main factor in our decision. I see lots of schools with very poor scores in FW. Would you choose private, or are there good public schools?
I live in Idaho and our schools here are some of the worst in the nation with the budget being cut more every year. I really would like to keep in the public system if possible, but willing to pay if necessary.
Thanks for any input!

Old 08-03-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahome View Post
The schools have to be excellent, and will be the main factor in our decision. I see lots of schools with very poor scores in FW. Would you choose private, or are there good public schools?
I live in Idaho and our schools here are some of the worst in the nation with the budget being cut more every year. I really would like to keep in the public system if possible, but willing to pay if necessary.
Thanks for any input!
I am a fan of and an advocate for FWISD, warts and all....my children went all the way through Tanglewood/McLean/Paschal, then had very successful college careers and now are gainfully employed. Despite what you might hear, not much has changed in 10 yrs. for better or worse.

However, I work at an independent (private) school, and can appreciate what we have to offer there, so I feel like I'm qualified to speak to both.

In Fort worth proper, you will want to live in the Tanglewood, Lily B. Clayton, Ridglea Hills or North Hi Mount Elementary districts. Tanglewood is best and you will be paying out the nose for your home and your property taxes. Your kids will likely get a good education and have good kids as their peers at any of those schools, but an Anglo child will be in the minority at every school but Tanglewood. Then when they reach Middle School, you will have to decide if you want to switch to private or if you think there is a good enough peer group going to the Middle School in your district. Often, families make the switch at MS time, then go back to the public high school...Paschal or Arlington Heights. Both have LOTS of college bound kids, encourage athletics and extra-curricular activities and have honors and AP classes...Paschal more-so than Heights.

Re: private schools. Be prepared to pay. Unless you choose a Catholic school, the tuition will be in the high teens, bordering on low-20's annually. Financial aid is available, but not plentiful, and competition is great for the enrollment spots as well as in the classroom. This is the place for the serious student...not a serious athlete or a casual, frat-boy-type kid. There are WONDERFUL kids in the private schools in Fort Worth...they will definitely go places in the world.

All that said...you might find that a suburban environment is better suited for your family, and there are lots of people on this forum who have made that choice. Good luck!

Old 09-03-2011, 07:26 PM

5 posts, read 5,719 times
Burleson sounds like the ideal for you. Should be central to the locations you mentioned, and the schools are wonderful there. Very small town feel, but only 10 minutes or so from Fort Worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth