Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2011, 02:40 AM

8 posts, read 45,229 times

Advertisements

I found my dream apartment while apartment hunting in Fort Worth. I was supposed to start a job there, but lost out to another candidate.
Now, it looks like I'll be taking a job with a company in Dallas. I really still want to live in my dream apartment, but that means I'd be looking at a 30 minute/30-mile commute.

Is it crazy to do this? I really, really LOVE this apartment, and so far, I haven't found anything similar in Dallas that isn't way out of my price range.

Does anyone have experience commuting to Dallas out of Fort Worth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 05:21 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,861,548 times
Yes, it's crazy. You will be spending about an hour each way stuck in traffic. The general rule of thumb for DFW traffic is 2-3 miles per minute on the highway. Traffic isn't bad until you hit Arlington/Grand Prairie, and then again when you cross Hampton Rd all the way in to downtown Dallas. Besides the commute time, you will be spending a lot on fuel, oil changes, and wear and tear on your car.

Dallas has lots of apartment options. I would look around more to see if you can find something similar there.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:28 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,680,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukaniko View Post
I found my dream apartment while apartment hunting in Fort Worth. I was supposed to start a job there, but lost out to another candidate.
Now, it looks like I'll be taking a job with a company in Dallas. I really still want to live in my dream apartment, but that means I'd be looking at a 30 minute/30-mile commute.

Is it crazy to do this? I really, really LOVE this apartment, and so far, I haven't found anything similar in Dallas that isn't way out of my price range.

Does anyone have experience commuting to Dallas out of Fort Worth?
It is absolutely nuts! Tell us what is so appealing to you about this dream place and your work location in Dallas -- along with your budget -- and we will make recommendations on options closer to the job.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:23 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
The only way I would say it might be an option to consider IF you get the job in Dallas is check out the TRE--Trinity Rail Express--the train from FTW to Dallas--

Trinity Railway Express (TRE)

this is not ideal solution and really only works if you live/work in close proximity to stations at either end and are willing to use public transport that might not always be on time or flexible--

I would never say don't live in FTW because I think in its own way it is as great as Dallas but the drive is insane

Old 08-15-2011, 10:49 AM

1,257 posts, read 2,534,941 times
Can you afford a helicopter?

Old 08-15-2011, 10:56 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,170,254 times
Don't do it. You're going with traffic and what looks like a half-hour commute on paper could turn into an hour or more in practice. And that's assuming your apartment is in downtown Ft. Worth and your job is in downtown Dallas. if your apartment is on the west, south or north sides of Fort Worth and your job is in Uptown, North or east Dallas, add even more time.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:18 PM

119 posts, read 215,486 times
I agree with Loves. I know someone at my company that does the opposite commute, he rides the TRE in from Dallas and back in the evenings. He's riding for close to an hour each way, but at least he can read or nap on the way.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:25 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
my son is moving to denton when he finds the right place and will be using the Denton County/Dart commuter line to go to work in Uptown--
probably an hour and 3 changes but he can work/read/sleep
his company has discount pass so he saves wear/tear on his car not to mention gas and frustration

most of his friends are in Denton and now that there is decent train out of Denton with WiFI he is willing to do it
he drives in from Bedford now and spends 30-40 min each way in the car as it is--
to come from FTW on 183 (now under construction) and even catch the Bush or go 114 into north Dallas and 635--you are looking at 80 min each way minimum I bet

so that is why the ONLY way I would consider a commute from FTW to Dallas is if you could use the TRE--if you have to make any transfers or walk more than 3 blocks to your job
just find a place in Dallas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth