U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2011, 07:21 PM

2 posts, read 10,988 times

Advertisements

Hello! I've read a few of these for different areas in TX and found them very helpful.

We are moving to the Fort Worth area soon, my husband will be working in the Hurst area and we are looking for a nice area to live. I will be a stay at home mom with a 2 year old girl and somewhere that offers wholesome outdoor activities. We have been looking at Arlington, North Richmond Hills, Grapevine areas but its hard since we cannot look around. Any help/suggestions?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 08:38 PM

10,537 posts, read 22,419,543 times
What is your budget for housing? We almost always recommend renting before buying to get a feel for the area before putting down roots. Is your husband going to work at Bell?

I would take Arlington off your list, and concentrate on the NE Tarrant County suburbs: Hurst, Bedford, Grapevine, NRH, etc. These are all close to Hurst and have nice parks and city facilities, and good schools.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:00 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,304,036 times
Hurst is a nice town close to Hurst.

I agree with ChristieP. Take Arlington off of your list. There are some nice parts of Arlington with good schools, but there are some flat out nasty areas as well. There are 300,000 people there! Either way, it's not worth the commute when you've got about half a dozen municipalities that fit the bill surrounding Hurst itself. Hurst, Euless, Bedford, North Richland Hills, Keller, Colleyville (depending on your budget), and Grapevine are all good family-oriented suburbs.

Old 08-17-2011, 05:36 AM

394 posts, read 1,143,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
Hurst is a nice town close to Hurst.
... and Hurst has great inexpensive recreational programs for kids all year round.

My wife loves the programs. Check them out: http://www.ci.hurst.tx.us/Publications/WhereWeLive/WWL_Fall2011.pdf (broken link)

Welcome to the area.

-Eric

Last edited by Eric S; 08-17-2011 at 06:47 AM.. Reason: just because....

Old 08-17-2011, 11:13 AM

4 posts, read 9,343 times
I disagree with the people above. I work in Hurst off Highway 10 and live in Arlington. My commute is 8 minutes. Not miles, 8 minutes. 15 if I stop at Starbucks. I live right across the road from
River Legacy Park--which has 9 miles of bike and walking paths along the Trinity. The schools in NW Arlington are great. I'm 10 minutes from the stadiums, Six Flags, and a ridiculous amount of restaurants.

Grapevine is nice--but more expensive and a 30 minute drive at rush hour.

Hurst, Euless, Bedford, NRH...they are cheap, I guess. Though not as convenient to
Dallas or FW. If you love the idea of a run down mall, or tons of strip malls where half the shops are closed, then you might like those communities.

I work in Hurst every day and do lunch in those communities...I would not live in any of them. Most of my coworkers live in Arlington, Grapevine, or way out in Keller for the land.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:28 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,304,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhappytime View Post
I disagree with the people above. I work in Hurst off Highway 10 and live in Arlington. My commute is 8 minutes. Not miles, 8 minutes. 15 if I stop at Starbucks. I live right across the road from
River Legacy Park--which has 9 miles of bike and walking paths along the Trinity. The schools in NW Arlington are great. I'm 10 minutes from the stadiums, Six Flags, and a ridiculous amount of restaurants.

Grapevine is nice--but more expensive and a 30 minute drive at rush hour.

Hurst, Euless, Bedford, NRH...they are cheap, I guess. Though not as convenient to
Dallas or FW. If you love the idea of a run down mall, or tons of strip malls where half the shops are closed, then you might like those communities.

I work in Hurst every day and do lunch in those communities...I would not live in any of them. Most of my coworkers live in Arlington, Grapevine, or way out in Keller for the land.
H-E-B and NRH are just as convenient to Dallas and Fort Worth as Arlington is. They just sit a little north, but you're driving about the same amount of miles on their freeways. In fact, you might say they are MORE convenient since they have TRE access while Arlington is the largest city in the United States with absolutely NO public transportation.

I wasn't trying to put Arlington down. You are right, Northwest Arlington is a nice area. I didn't know the commute was that short. No need to attack northeast Tarrant county though. There is nothing rundown about Northeast Mall or the retail area around it. And all the same chain restaurants that are in Arlington are in H-E-B -- let's not pretend like Arlington is Dallas or Fort Worth. The strip of Hurst you work off of, Hwy 10, is the oldest and least attractive part of town. As a whole, H-E-B is much better maintained, has much better schools, and doesn't have half of the crime issues Arlington does. Outside of your Arlington neighborhood and far southern parts closer to Mansfield, most of the town isn't too desirable for families anymore. Maybe if you were single or going to UTA.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:46 PM

6,955 posts, read 20,730,080 times
North Arlington near River Legacy Park offers a fabulous lifestyle and great proximity to Hurst. As does Euless, Hurst, Bedford. Rent first!!!!!

Old 08-17-2011, 12:50 PM

394 posts, read 1,143,724 times
Superhappytime, I too think that Arlington has a lot going for it. In another thread I advocated that a person who was disappointed with S. Arlington should look to N. Arlington (north of HWY 30 near Green Oaks Blvd or the Interlochen neighborhood). The fact that the OP is a stay at home mom with a 2-year-old indicates to me that Hurst is a better place for them, based on the experiences of my stay-at-home wife and my 2- and 5-year-old kids.

Arlington is great for entertaining, certainly, and has a wealth of restaurants. I love working there. My commute to Arlington from Bedford is roughly eight minutes, too (drive time, at least).

-Eric

Last edited by Eric S; 08-17-2011 at 12:52 PM.. Reason: Decided to stay out of the schools issue

Old 08-17-2011, 05:58 PM

32,541 posts, read 51,070,183 times
my neighborhood in Hurst is not "cheap" and there are areas in Hurst and Bedford where homes are affordable and in safe neighborhoods with good schools--that is not "cheap"
much of the area south of 183 and especially along Hwy 10 is not where I would recommend you start looking--but there are nice areas if you really don't have a big budget

you just have to know what you want, what is worth paying for, and get a good realtor to show you homes that meet your needs

There are some pockets in north Arlington that are beautiful but I really question the part about great schools in North Arlington--you have to check those stats and see for yourself--
there is lot of section 8 housing and apartments in Arlington and most people would say there is really only one "good" high school--that the SW area feeds into--because of issues like National Merit scholars, AP test scores and more college prep
my fault with Arlington is that it has high percentage of lower socioeconomic/ethnic students who often are not interested in college--even if you are trying to get them interested--and yet Arlington has minimal trade/medical/electronic skills training from what I know
and that would be a great addition to any ISD with demographics like Arlington has
HEB has a tech school that is full to the brim and turns away students--and they get jobs when they graduate--we could use another one because of our need

Old 08-17-2011, 07:36 PM

2 posts, read 10,988 times
Thank you all for the responses! We are definitely renting first. Yes, he will be working at Bell (good company?) and we are moving from Tucson, AZ so 300,000 is still rather small to us lol. However, I am certainly concerned about overall quality and safety. We were looking at Grapevine because it looks like there is a lake right there and we would love to be by some water! As far as renting, what is the median price range for a nice apartment or house? I have seen prices from $700-1300 and here in Tucson, a nice 2/3 bedroom is around $800-$1000.

This is truly great help! Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth