Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2011, 06:33 PM

13,685 posts, read 9,007,828 times

Advertisements

This drought is affecting all wildlife. I have a mobile home in east Texas (close to Cedar Creek Lake) and I have put out multiple bird watering devices and the birds have flocked to them; they simply have no water source (I guess I am too far from the lake).

I have had good success with 'poultry' watering devices (various types include plastic and metal). Your local farm and ranch supplier will have them.

My birds have virtually ignored the feed, and head for the water.

I also have watering stuff in Fort Worth, at my home.

Here in east Texas, I have also put out food (cheap dog food) for the raccoons. They are also suffering.

This drought is simply creating havoc for the birds and animals. A bowl of water set out will create a huge difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 01:09 PM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
They reject my fairly large bird baths but love the bubble fountain which is about 3x4 feet.

Old 08-21-2011, 01:43 PM

556 posts, read 1,563,372 times
This morning I found a second dehydrated tree frog on my back porch. That kind of summer for sure!

I periodically run a fine spray from my hose, just hang it in the branches of a Japanese Maple we planted this spring (incredible timing, I know!). The birds love it, and it's just enough to keep my tree going.

Old 08-21-2011, 04:00 PM

77 posts, read 218,450 times
I keep 5-6 dishes on the ground full of water. Many animals come by during the day and night to drink, but the most memorable was a screech owl sitting in the bowl of the birdbath I had just filled a minute before late one evening. It was just about pitch black and he was almost glowing (screech owls are white.) He bathed and preened while I watched, then he just took off silently. It's eerie how owls don't make a sound when they fly.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:35 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontificator View Post
This morning I found a second dehydrated tree frog on my back porch. That kind of summer for sure!

I periodically run a fine spray from my hose, just hang it in the branches of a Japanese Maple we planted this spring (incredible timing, I know!). The birds love it, and it's just enough to keep my tree going.
Check on-line for "misters". There are non to be had locally.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:55 AM

13,685 posts, read 9,007,828 times
Here in east Texas (Cedar Creek Lake area) I was also having a problem with the raccoons coming up to the house and chewing on my hoses to get water. I now have several 'ever water' dog watering containers for them, which seems to have taken care of the problem.

Note: an ever-water dog waterer can be found at farm/ranch stores. Hook it up to your hose, and it refills itself if it gets low.

The raccoons are also very hungry, and were eating the bird seed. I spent some money and purchased a Moultie Deer Feeder, and placed it on the back of the property. Every evening it 'spins' out a pound or two of cheap dog food. We are going to be away from our cabin (mobile home) for two weeks, and I was worried about them getting too hungry and wrecking havoc underneath the house. At least they will have some food. I left some pails of water out next to the feeder so they can 'wash' their food, although I know that within a few days that water will be gone (the ever-water containers are around the house, a good 500 yards from the feeder).

Heck, even the buzzards have been gathering around the water I have out. Seems like they could easily fly to the lake, about half a mile away.

We have a stock tank that the previous owner said 'never dries up'. Well, it became utterly dry a month ago, killing all the catfish and yellow bass (not to mention the thousands of minnows).

Another poster mentioned a dehydrated tree frog: we had lots of frogs about. Now, all gone. Turtles too (we had 10 red-ear sliders living in the stock tank; I hope they traveled to the lake).

Well, we shall hope for rain soon!

Old 08-22-2011, 01:58 PM

556 posts, read 1,563,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Check on-line for "misters". There are non to be had locally.
But then I'd have to buy a product!

My small-guage hose is doing a great job delivering a very fine mist.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:23 AM

277 posts, read 696,552 times
I took your advice and put out a couple bowls of water last night and this morning there are bunnies everywhere... At least they stayed out of the pool!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth